The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

rough when taking treats

CrazyCatLady

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I searched for an answer but the key words are so common that I couldn't find anything. Trying to train Violet, I almost feel I should have cut resistant gloves. The more aggravated she is that I am not giving her the treat immediately the more aggressively she takes it. Thankfully she does control the amount of force but even so . . . She is almost 50 pounds so thats a lot of doggie mouth.

Is this just a puppy thing? Or should we have training on HOW to take a treat. Her "sisters" are gentle, almost dainty.

How do you offer the treat, and is this for training rewards? Please would you describe those occasions when you are not giving the treat immediately and then we can have a better idea how to improve things.

Offering on an open hand the way you would for a horse is a lot safer than holding it in your fingers.

All or should I say most dogs are easily trained to this, start from the sitting position and then a paw , all my dogs I’ve had must be able to take gently from my lips, and they did, my next door neighbours dog was a 9 stone mastiff bulldog, geez I was going to lose this one ain’t I? Within a month I had him taking a treat from my lips , the only one I bottled it was a friends British bulldog, if they not taking it soft then it’s the horse way or no way for me.

We had a dog who snatched quiet badly. A tip given to us was to hold the treat between the thumb and middle finger, this leaves the index finger pointing at the dog and makes contact with the dog before it gets it's treat. This was a simple remedy in our case.

We had this issue with our dog. When excited he would mug you for treats and often both treat and my hand would end up in his mouth:eek:
We used Beverley Courtney’s method she calls ‘Magic Hand’ which I think is in the book ‘Leave It’ - free on Kindle if you have one. It’s all about impulse control. It worked surprisingly quickly, although we do still practise it every so often.

I searched for an answer but the key words are so common that I couldn't find anything. Trying to train Violet, I almost feel I should have cut resistant gloves. The more aggravated she is that I am not giving her the treat immediately the more aggressively she takes it. Thankfully she does control the amount of force but even so . . . She is almost 50 pounds so thats a lot of doggie mouth.

Is this just a puppy thing? Or should we have training on HOW to take a treat. Her "sisters" are gentle, almost dainty.
It could be combination of things that make her being 'rough' to take the treats. Have you tried changing her head position how she is able to take the treat? Rather than her nose being pointed upwards toward the treat...bringing your offering right down should make her less able to 'poke'/jump forward to reach. Training to wait and sit or do something else before opening your fist to release it from the open palm...like others have mentioning in the relation feeding a horse. Yeah, some dogs are naturally bit more sharper with their movements or their coordination with their movements might take bit more time or willingness to work out. It is quite likely that the thought that you would like her to do it differently has not even entered into her mind.
I would start by always asking her to perform a set of calming 'tricks'...sit..lie down, EVERY TIME...before giving a treat. Maybe you just have to settle to place it on front of her on floor rather than offering straight from the hand.

She can do "sit" and can ring the bell to go outside but I am trying to train her; I am mainly focusing on leash training and "Leave It." Yesterday, we tried to do "lay down" but that was part of what got her so frustrated. And "Baby Shark"like.

There is just so much to learn. For both of us.

I did a short video to show what I mean but I can't upload it, maybe because I am new.

We had this issue with our dog. When excited he would mug you for treats and often both treat and my hand would end up in his mouth:eek:
We used Beverley Courtney’s method she calls ‘Magic Hand’ which I think is in the book ‘Leave It’ - free on Kindle if you have one. It’s all about impulse control. It worked surprisingly quickly, although we do still practise it every so often.
Thank you for the book recommendations, I got it in a four pack with Calm and one about leash training. The portion I read about leash training worked WONDERS already on stopping my 7 year old dachshund from pulling with ALL her might. It made the walk so much more pleasant.

Thank you for the book recommendations, I got it in a four pack with Calm and one about leash training. The portion I read about leash training worked WONDERS already on stopping my 7 year old dachshund from pulling with ALL her might. It made the walk so much more pleasant.

So glad, I find her writing style suits me: quite light hearted and to the point (but I know I have a rather low attention span:oops:).

Yay! I made enough posts and comments that I could do a link. So here she is taking treats. I know I said "sit" too much. Also, if I am sitting while treating (which I was in the video), she is less shark-breeching-the-water-to-catch-a-bird. And sometimes she drags her teeth down the length of my fingers to get any crumbs.

LOL lovely!!
If it was me, I would not make her wait so long.
She sits (but touches the floor) - you give her treat. That's "sit".
The way it seems to work in the video - the treat is a result of sitting AND then reaching out and snatching it.

If you want her to wait and focus on you - that's a different thing. But still, I would recommend giving the treat before she looses patience and grabs it, and slooooooooowly building up the wait time.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back