The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rumbling Tummy

bicyclebill

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, My dog is a 9 year old female Staffie. Over the past few months she has developed a
very noisy grumbling tummy. This occurs about once a week and lasts for half a day or so. I have been to the vet and he put her on a gastro intestinal special diet. Despite this she still rumbles! During such an episode she is a little subdued. She then seems to get over it and is absolutely normal and fit until the next episode. She does not get anything else to eat, like treats or our food. We are very careful on walks to ensure she doesn't pick up anything from the floor, always keeping her on a lead. The vet didn't think she had an obstruction or any lumps when he examined her although we have not had her X rayed. It may be nothing to worry about but it seems odd that it happens on such a regular basis and clearly effects her mood. When its happening she will not eat. I would be interested if anyone out there could advise what the issue might be. Thank you.

Dogs sometimes get a rumble tummy when it's empty, and that can also make them reluctant to eat (I've had that myself, it feels a bit acidy and puts you off food even though you know you need something to make it go away). I would suggest adding some carbohydrate to her diet. It gets digested slowly so she is less likely to get so empty. Plain mashed potato or rice maybe?

Does it happen at particular times of the day?

Have you tried pumpkin added to her food or butternut squash ....
Also some people swear by slippery elm powder. ...

Dogs sometimes get a rumble tummy when it's empty, and that can also make them reluctant to eat (I've had that myself, it feels a bit acidy and puts you off food even though you know you need something to make it go away). I would suggest adding some carbohydrate to her diet. It gets digested slowly so she is less likely to get so empty. Plain mashed potato or rice maybe?

Does it happen at particular times of the day?
Thank you, I will give it a try. It tends to be first thing in the morning up until midday. She then starts to feel like her food and the rumbling goes away. I see what you mean, thanks again.

Thank you, I will give it a try. It tends to be first thing in the morning up until midday. She then starts to feel like her food and the rumbling goes away. I see what you mean, thanks again.
That makes a lot of sense, it sounds like too much time between her last meal (what time by the way?) and breakfast. A carbohydrate snack around bedtime may help a lot.

If it's first thing in the morning, try giving the carbs - or another snack - at bedtime.

Cross-posted with JoanneF:D If you prefer to avoid carbs, any snack at bedtime might help.

That makes a lot of sense, it sounds like too much time between her last meal (what time by the way?) and breakfast. A carbohydrate snack around bedtime may help a lot.
Her last meal is actually quite late, around 9.00 pm, but I will try the carb snack, thanks again.

If it's first thing in the morning, try giving the carbs - or another snack - at bedtime.

Cross-posted with JoanneF:D If you prefer to avoid carbs, any snack at bedtime might help.
Yes, I will certainly try this, thank you.

Hi have had so many tummy troubles with my bassets and the only thing that works for me is slippery elm it’s brilliant stuff. I make mine from a powder then add hot water allow to cool and keep it in the fridge, one small scoop makes enough for a week. Well worth a try.

Hi have had so many tummy troubles with my bassets and the only thing that works for me is slippery elm it’s brilliant stuff. I make mine from a powder then add hot water allow to cool and keep it in the fridge, one small scoop makes enough for a week. Well worth a try.
Thank you for this. I am trying the previous suggestions at the moment, if these are not successful I will try the slippery elm. I think maybe its best to try one at a time in order to identify what works, thank you once again.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back