Run as weighed

Should opens be run as weighed ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:D i know in the whippets the bitches r supposed to be faster than dogs is that right? In greyhounds isnt it the other way round dogs r supposed to be faster than bitches? Maybe thats how it works in the scratch as they have more greyhound in them? I could be wrong like but just guessing. Looking at all the great scratch dogs of the past a lot of them were dogs ie as Ricky said SON OF A BITCH, ALSO STORMBIRD, SPOOKY JEWEL, CHISUM ETC ALL DOGS NOT FORGETTING THE NO LIMIT DERBY 2004 WINNER LOL :lol: MICKEY WHIZZ ALSO A DOG. INFACT LL OF THE ENGLISH DERBY NO LIMIT FINALISTS WERE DOGS NOT BITCHES.

I think, if you are prepared to give weight away you should be allowed to move up a class. If your dog is good enough to beat the heavier dogs by giving yards away good luck to it. [One weight group only]

I disagree why should you have two classes to choose from.Ifyou can go up a class why not down ?You have a dog that runs at a certain weight and you know thats its true weight, why take a class that by right someone else should win? If the dog you beat is truely that weight it would be no good him going up a weight would it at all. Maybe those of you who want to run with bigger dogs then sratch races should be on the cards and a format that would incoperate this sort of racing also like a spread over 4lb all off levels I.E.16-20dogs20-24lb.Also with digital scales the need for 1/4lb allowance in my opinion should go and true weight adopted as the norm.It has worked at the very successful IRG meetings this year without any problemsI am aware of.

i can see why people run there dogs in different weight groups because to run of against the lighter dogs in the run offs at yrds/lb doesnt fan out but i dont agree with it Perhaps running a lot more half/lb or 2ft/lb opens would go a long way to making it a more level playing field As anybody who was at n/aycliffe on monday would agree the final was a cracking final with all dogs within 2lenghts of each other and rch paloma only losing by 1/4 len from that great dog another spot and it was nice to see all finalists take there chance instead of pulling out becauce they had no chance in the final to be honest i think the heavy weights would have pulled out had it been yrds/lb this is only my opinion

Jeff. proposals have gone into the BWRA by members to have half yd/lbs and/or 2ft per lb racing but for reasons unknown the committee and reps. have thrown them out and these have never gone out to be voted on. Also has anyone given thought to all the members that go open racing week in and week out and NEVER win a race - it is these dogs that are keeping the sport going NOT the regular winners. I agree ALL dogs/bitches should run as weighed but when there is big money involved i.e. the Derby people get greedy and want to win as much as possible - hence doubling up. Also I think (my opinion and I'm sure many others) that if you win a class and win £50. for that class and have no intentions of competing any further then you should only get a heat win. It spoils competative racing when the dogs pull out and there are only one or two dogs left in that group. If people knew that wouldn't be paid in full unless they competed in the next round they would not withdrawn their dogs. Also it prevents someone else winning who would not withdraw their dogs. :oops:

:D GOT TO AGREE WITH YOUR COMMENTS JEFF IF IT HAD BEEN YD/LB ON MONDAY I WOULD HAVE PULLED OUT,COME TO THINK OF IT I NEARLY PULLED OUT AT 2FT A LB GLAD I DID"NT :thumbsup:

It makes sense to me to let a dog move up a grade [not down] when it is a right hand runner, so it is off at the front [ie.yellow box] It saves a lot of annoyance to fellow racers if dogs are not crossing over &spoiling races.

People moan about lighter dogs always winning but if you are prepared to give 1or 2 lb away the people with heavier dogs would still moan.{the fact is if the heavier dog still cant win its weight group it just isnt good enough}

:) I AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY JOHN AS YOU KNOW SAMSARA WAS A VERY BAD RIGHT HAND RUNNER WEIGHING 29/30LB I HAD TO PUT HER UP A CLASS SO SHE WAS OUT OF THE BLACK OR ORANGE TRAP IF SHE WAS OUT OF THE RED SHE WOULD HAVE SPOILED THE RACE BY CROSSING OVER :thumbsup:

FANCY FREE WAS A BAD RIGHT HAND RUNNER :oops: BUT SHE WOULD GO BEHIND THE OTHER DOGS IN THE RACE , IT COST HER A FEW RACES THAT DID :angry: BUT I REMEMBER HER BEING IN A RACE WITH ANOTHER BAD RIGHT HAND RUNNER AND MINE WAS ALMOST KNOCKED UNDER THE FENCE AT BLIDWORTH......WE USED TO HAVE TO PICK OUR RACES THATS FOR SURE :p

Crack O Dawn was a bad right hand runner and I would change his weight class to try and get a trap as far right as possible he would always go into the lure at the end of a race but no matter what I tried he preferred running up the right hand side of the track when racing. But when I changed weight classes it was always done by the dogs weight and not asking to be put up a weight class. In my opinion the 1/4lb weight allowance should stay as not everybody has digital scales and we should allow for differances between peoples scales.

Last edited by a moderator:
John, I agree with 1/4lb should stay, as scales can vary. e.g. we were at the Derby a person came to us and asked to weigh his dog on our scales (not digital) his dog weighed l9.1/4lbs so he raced off l9lbs as he weighed the same on the digitial scales. Saxon Tiger weighed 31.1/4lbs on our scales so we expected to get 3l lbs. as she is a left-hand runner. However, when we got to the scales we were told 32lbs. How can you explain that??? Which scales can you rely on? Obviously, you have to run as weighed on the scales used by whoever is staging the meeting. : :p

At the derby we weighed amazing grace and it said 16 and just over the quarter , we knew she was not that so gaz asked for the check weight and sure enough the didi scales were out ,Paul adjusted them and we put her back on and she was 16 exactly ...i was think maybe the guy weighting them was not taking the weight of the harness off....

Gary, you weighed in AFTER we did. If that was the case why was ALL the dogs that weighed in previously to you called back and re-weighed. In future I shall query the weights if they differ from our scales. I'm not saying Saxon Tiger would have won in the lower weight group, but at least she MAY have got her side - instead she had to run out of the white jacket. Also, a point I would like to make are the heavier dogs at a disadvantage with digital scales. I've heard people say the heavier the dog/bitch you are at a disadvatage with digitial scales. Is this so? Previous meeting we went to i.e. Melton our scales weighed exactly the same as the digital ones this is why we couldn't understand why they differed at the Derby. :(

our dogs were the first to weigh in on the day ,as Dee had to go to collect fancy dress for Paul and co so we weighed early but digital scales need to be reset every weigh for the bag :b bring back salter scales, digies i think are crap ....blue goblin was 2 ounces over had to go 18 and i no she was 17 but never mind...

When you have a large dog in front of you at weigh in it is best to ask for scales to be checked before you weigh . I carry weights I used in my butchers shop that are stamped by the weights and measure dept that they used to check our scales, so I know my digital scales are correct as I always check them prior to weighing on them.I also re-check them after.Just to make sure they are spot on.Even a quarter of a sheet of greaseproof paper use to make a difference to a 1/4 of ham about 15pence dear paper that ! :oops: but ham was cheap!

Sorry Honeybee you were not weighted in before us as we were the first , the people doing the writing never even had there pens and paper out ...after i weighted our 2 and the scales were corrected there would of not been any mistakes.

Denise, my apologies I thought I saw you in the queue behind us, my mistake. Still doesn't answer my question as to why one dog weighed 19.1/4lbs on our scales and got l9lbs when ours weighed 31.1/4 and had to go off 32lbs???? :p This is why I wondered if the smaller dogs had the advantage on digital scales - well thats what I was told - not my opinion. :oops:

This is why I wondered if the smaller dogs had the advantage on digital scales - well thats what I was told - not my opinion.
I don't understand? Why do you think the little dogs have an advantage? Do you think that the heavier the dog the less accurate the reading?

In saying that i did hear a few people say their weights were out last week (maybe didn't zero with the bag on? or didn't "hold" the weight on the screen)

Digital Scales are the bees knee's if used properly (it's not rocket science to zero the weight after each dog) & if the battery isn't on it's last legs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Spring balance scales are more likely to be wrong than the electronic ones. You can use test weights and adjust spring scales for 20lb and find they weigh test weights of 40lb incorrectly.

We had our electronic scales independantly tested after complaints at an open when they were used and they were correct at 5kg,10kg,15kg and 20kg with an error of less than 5g (less than 1/4 oz)

The scales used at the Derby gave exactly the same weight on our dogs as our own scales as above.

Personaly I think the 1/4lb allowance should be abolished as the electronic scales are invariably correct. If your dog weighs 1/4lb over the weight limit on your scales and weighs over on the event scales then frankly it's over the weight limit and should be running in the higher weight group.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back