The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sad after selling my 4 yr old GSD/Akita cross

Linkpad

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, I have just sold my GSD/akita cross female after having her 3 years and wondered why I feel so depressed! I have never been so sad over an animal before having sold cats and other animals. I am trying to be happy for her as she will have a better life living with a family and kids but I can't at the moment. Has anyone had to sell a dog they were close too? Did it take a long time too get over it?

Attachments

• PXL_20221218_130018992.jpg
    PXL_20221218_130018992.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 58
Why did you sell her?

Reactions: RGC
Never sold a dog ...had to rehome a dog for her own sake as she needed a small dog to play with...
At least you have made sure she goes to a home where she will be happy ...its like a grieving period...in time you will feel happy for her ...give it time...
Xxx

Thanks! It wasn't an easy decision just I felt she needed to go to a family that had time for her needs rather than living alone with just me in the house and at work.

As TinyTom says, you will be going through a grieving process, and that can hit you very hard. If after a few weeks you are still struggling, I suggest you contact the Blue Cross. They have a bereavement service, and though your dog hasn't died, I'm guessing they would be able to offer you some support.

In the meantime, be kind to yourself, as you would for a friend suffering loss. However you are feeling, accept that this is normal for you.

Thanks! It wasn't an easy decision just I felt she needed to go to a family that had time for her needs rather than living alone with just me in the house and at work.
Good on you for prioritising your dog’s needs. Afraid I can only feel for your loss. I’ve never ‘sold’ an animal in my life - was broken hearted when we had to return a whippet to his original owners as, after a few weeks, he couldn’t settle with us and was very unhappy. I’ve given baby Guinea pigs away to good homes after my daughter’s two ‘boys’ went through divine metamorphosis and produced a litter. As I said, I admire your altruism but can’t empathise. I’ve no idea of your circumstances but I’d never treat an animal commercially.

Hi RGC/Judy yes I thought its not fair on the dog to have her live alone with me when she could have a life with kids and a family, I will get another similar dog in the future but in better circumstances when I have a partner or am retired. Still sucks as I never been so depressed over an animal before, I also think if I go over there and visit the dog it will only make her more depressed and confused.

I haven't sold a dog, but I did have to return Floss, a beautiful Border Collie I had spent months working with at the shelter she was in. When I got home with her, it was abundantly clear that she was going to kill my cats if she ever got hold of them. I worked on that for 6 stressful weeks before deciding it was not going to change. The cats were there first, so it was Floss who had to go. She'd have been a great dog apart from her killer instinct.

The saddest part was that she was the only dog I ever had who my Lurcher genuinely liked. They made friends straightaway, which was unusual for him as he was always a 'people' dog, so I felt for him terribly when she left.

So I can sympathise with how you feel, and hope your dog has gone to the right home. In respect of selling her, I can see the logic in that because if someone has to actually pay money, you have a better chance that they are serious about wanting her.

I hope you have a better situation next time so your next dog can stay with you forever.

Well completely unexpected but I have got her back as unfortunately it didn't workout with the new owners, she is a little bit anxious but glad to see her.

PXL_20230911_181144252.MP.jpg

I think this is telling you that she is better off with you and at least the people gave her back to you ...I hope she settles soon

Are there any particular aspects of her life you're concerned about, such as the amount of time you have to leave her for? If you let us know, we might be able to make suggestions. You said that you had thought she'd be better off with a family with kids, but many dogs regard children as scary unpredictable noisy things, all the way from babyhood to mid-20s. Actually some humans feel the same way about them ;)

I was selling her mainly to leaving her alone 3-4 days a week for 8 hours and with it just me being with her in the house, I thought she would like being in a family environment but perhaps she is too used to me now!

How about getting a dog walker/sitter to visit her once a day on the days you work? If nothing else, it would be good for her to have an opportunity to toilet if needs be. But yes, I reckon she's much better back home with you :)

I was selling her mainly to leaving her alone 3-4 days a week for 8 hours and with it just me being with her in the house, I thought she would like being in a family environment but perhaps she is too used to me now!
I'm curious to know what you based your decision to sell her on. Was it just your assumption that she didn't like being left for so long, or did she show signs of distress, such as being destructive while you were away, toileting in the house, barking or howling when left alone?

I think it's a good idea if someone comes in to see her or walk with her on these long days anyway, but I do wonder whether she's one of those dogs who is quite happy in her own company. The fact that it didn't work out in a family environment suggests that might be the case.

One thing you could consider doing is using BorrowMyDoggy, and spending time with other dogs on a temporary basis. This might help to soften the blow.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back