The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sardines for my dogs

lurcherman

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
ive always fed my dogs sardines over 27yrs now but only a tin n half each per week, dosnt seem lotsbt recently up it to over 2 tins each per week, so for all you food experts what i want to know is how much is too much?..

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think 2 tins each is too much, I don't think sardines have anything in them that could cause any problems to your dogs, unless its the ones in sunflower oil which could cause them a bit of diarrhoea (this is what we recommend to people who's dogs are a little bunged up!!) Fish oils are really good for dogs, your dogs are lucky to have such a good varied diet. :thumbsup:

I recently gave Rufus sardines for the first time as part of a scent tracking trial we were doing at dog training, he wolfed them down. So they are being kept as an extra special stinky treat in our house.

only tommy sauce lol. i use most things for the dogs lol but mainly in moderation. so what do you think is too much?

Eeeugh Its the tommy sauce ones I gave Rufus they made me be a little bit sick in my mouth just with the smell when I opened the tin LOL!! :x

I don't think you could give your dogs too much, the body will only absorb the vitamins and use what it needs and the rest will be passed out as nature intended. I will enquire at work tomorrow if it's possible to OD a dog on sardines for any reason and let you know

xx

ok thanks. by the way i love sardines myself lol

Sorry I had not forgotten just having a crappy week, Murphy (on strict cage rest after operation) has got terrible Colitis and have been at vets 3 times already trying different things to settle his guts, and barking in the middle of the night to get out so I'm knackered, glad its the weekend!!!

Anyway no one knows of any reason that Sardines should cause any trouble except maybe some diarrhoea if they are not used to them, which yours are so happy sardine feeding!! xx

My g/f who is a qualified animal guru makes me give my lurcher sardines in most things other brine, apparently it really good especially for the skin and fur .

Ned(dog) has them about once a week usually on a Friday with some plain rice when me and the g/f have a Chinese the rest of the week he has a high end dog food but so far all ones he's liked give him really bad gas :/

I don't think you could give your dogs too much, the body will only absorb the vitamins and use what it needs and the rest will be passed out as nature intended. I will enquire at work tomorrow if it's possible to OD a dog on sardines for any reason and let you know

xx
I know from my own higher/further ed studies that you(human) can OD on vitamins, however this has to be at a crazy crazy high level and I don't think a can a night would cause it so two a week should be fine

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back