The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sards

damitjanet

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 12yr old cairn terrier was diagnosed with sards just over a year ago. she showed signes for cushings but tests were on the borderline so the vet decided not to give medication for this as he is not certain she has it. He will do tests again at a later date. she has recently had runny stools so the vet perscribed some tablets to thicken it but they have made not much difference so far. The stool is very yellow with mucus and she strains several times after a motion squeezing out little bits here and there. The vet told me to give her chicken breast and rice which I did for 2 days but this made her even worse. I then with held food for 24hrs to let her system calm down, and then found her eating some of her poo off the grass in the garden. So I have given her some of her usual complete food, but only a little. If things dont improve over the weekend I will have to take her back to the vets on Monday. I am very worried as this seems to be more than just an upset tummy as the vets seems to think it is. She doesnt seem to look realy ill or anything but she is a very quiet little dog since she got sards anyway. Before sards she was lively noisy and playful just like a pup. Has anyone got any ideas about the bowel problem? After reading some things online I am begining to suspect pancreatitis.

damitjanet said:
My 12yr old cairn terrier was diagnosed with sards just over a year ago. she showed signes for cushings but tests were on the borderline so the vet decided not to give medication for this as he is not certain she has it. He will do tests again at a later date. she has recently had runny stools so the vet perscribed some tablets to thicken it but they have made not much difference so far. The stool is very yellow with mucus and she strains several times after a motion squeezing out little bits here and there. The vet told me to give her chicken breast and rice which I did for 2 days but this made her even worse. I then with held food for 24hrs to let her system calm down, and then found her eating some of her poo off the grass in the garden. So I have given her some of her usual complete food, but only a little. If things dont improve over the weekend I will have to take her back to the vets on Monday. I am very worried as this seems to be more than just an upset tummy as the vets seems to think it is. She doesnt seem to look realy ill or anything but she is a very quiet little dog since she got sards anyway. Before sards she was lively noisy and playful just like a pup. Has anyone got any ideas about the bowel problem? After reading some things online I am begining to suspect pancreatitis.

I am sory but i cannot see what is the connection between sards (sudden acquired retinal degeneration syndrome) and upset tummy? There have been outbreaks of of intestinal infections. Feed her food which is easily diggested such as rice boiled with bit of lean chicken and add some natural yogurt (or you can give some acidophilus capsules), as well as the tabs from you vet ,and she should be OK in a week or so. :luck: But do go back on Monday if she is not better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply and advice. Lucy seems a lot better this morning so I am feeling a lot happier. I am sorry if you thought I was making a fuss over nothing but little is known about SARDS. Dogs with this disease also develope lots of other problems like Cushings and kidney and liver problems. Pancreatitis can also develope. They all have ravenous appetites and increased thirst and will eat absolutley anything!! and all have a pot bellied appearance. so you see its not only the eyes which are affected but there are lots of other symptoms too.

I think a lot of dogs are having a problem with the heat just now. My friends poodle has been a bit off colour the last few days, good enough in herself but off her food & a bit runny in the poo dept :x

Hope your dog is O.K.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back