The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Say No To Breed Specific Legislation

I've signed already. The proposed changes to the law are very worrying for all dog owners.

Sorry............

Whereas I agree that responsible ownership can eliminate agression problems to a degree, I do think that certain breeds have traits which could endanger. Until there is an idiot scan which will prevent fools from owning these breeds, the only thing we can responsibly do is to ban the most dangerous breeds of dog. As we have just observed in Merseyside, a dog which was perceived as being a friendly, family pet has maimed and killed a child. We need to be realistic!

Joanna said:
Sorry............Whereas I agree that responsible ownership can eliminate agression problems to a degree, I do think that certain breeds have traits which could endanger. Until there is an idiot scan which will prevent fools from owning these breeds, the only thing we can responsibly do is to ban the most dangerous breeds of dog. As we have just observed in Merseyside, a dog which was perceived as being a friendly, family pet has maimed and killed a child. We need to be realistic!

I agree, the only alternative would be a special license required to keep some dogs. Just like you need for snakes. There is a twofold problem;

* total idiots, who want their dogs to be agressive

*ignorant idiots who do not understand dogs, and cannot appreciate what damage these dogs can do

Claims on that little poster, comparing pitbulls with other other causes of death is missleading. You would have to compare the number of death per say 1000 of guns or pitbulls in society.

bezza said:
I will definitely not be signing.
why not?

My own quibble would be that I might accept that some breeds should muzzled in public (better safe than sorry) though I'm against automatic euthanasia of dogs deemed to be a particular type.

Macha said:
bezza said:
why not?

My own quibble would be that I might accept that some breeds should muzzled in public (better safe than sorry) though I'm against automatic euthanasia of dogs deemed to be a particular type.

Why??? There MUST be people out there who have actually BRED these dogs - which under current UK legislation is illegal. But then they know this already don't they? Thus had they adhered to the law of the land there would be no young dogs to be PTS.

It would be foolhardy to say that the APBT is a kindred spirit of the SPBT - the staffie was exported to the US in the 19C for the express purpose of dog fighting. They found them too small and bred them much larger and sadly for this day and age, more aggressive. And that is the rub, because it's nature not nurture in this particular breed - would I trust an APBT? - not with a flea never mind one of my grandchildren. There is no place for such a type of dog in the ever smaller world in which we find ourselves living. They use them a guard dogs of property in the US - just because they kill first and ask questions later. They are unpredictable, unreliable (otherwise they would be used by the services, police and prison), and highly intelligent. A dangerous combination. Why would anyone want to own a potential killing machine unless it is to do just that? Kill.

So tell me why anyone would want to sign a petition which demands that they be allowed to live when they should never have been born in the first place? They are not cuddly little whippets, but they ARE killing machines. (Weren't these bred for the dog pit??). :(

Smiffy@VeronnaV said:
Macha said:
bezza said:
why not?

Why??? There MUST be people out there who have actually BRED these dogs - which under current UK legislation is illegal. But then they know this already don't they? Thus had they adhered to the law of the land there would be no young dogs to be PTS.

It would be foolhardy to say that the APBT is a kindred spirit of the SPBT - the staffie was exported to the US in the 19C for the express purpose of dog fighting. They found them too small and bred them much larger and sadly for this day and age, more aggressive. And that is the rub, because it's nature not nurture in this particular breed - would I trust an APBT? - not with a flea never mind one of my grandchildren. There is no place for such a type of dog in the ever smaller world in which we find ourselves living. They use them a guard dogs of property in the US - just because they kill first and ask questions later. They are unpredictable, unreliable (otherwise they would be used by the services, police and prison), and highly intelligent. A dangerous combination. Why would anyone want to own a potential killing machine unless it is to do just that? Kill.

So tell me why anyone would want to sign a petition which demands that they be allowed to live when they should never have been born in the first place? They are not cuddly little whippets, but they ARE killing machines. (Weren't these bred for the dog pit??). :(

If the law was adhered to - the dog which killed the child would not have been born.

If you are comparing anything it should be the amount of people killed by other breeds of dogs, not guns etc.

bezza said:
I will not be signing because in the absence of empirical data it is reasonable to assume that certain breeds are more physically able and temperamentally more likely to attack people than others. I think the recently bereaved parents of the children recently killed by the breeds in question would look on this petition with a mixture of horror and incredulity. If it could be proven that all dogs present exactly the same amount of risk then I will sign the petition.

Thankyou to the people who signed the petition :thumbsup: All my friends and family have and as you can see loads more. :)

People who don't want to sign it, then don't :- " , i have have said my peice for pitbulls and im not repeating myself........

Give me a pit bull any day, they are the most loyal dog you can meet when not trained to be killers.................

Went into my dog food suppliers, and the ad board, normally full of ads for staffies and bull breeds, has only ads for cats and bunnies. Why have the others gone? Are people finally realising that there is no need to own such dogs, unless you are a drug dealer or a pimp???

remember the legislation is not only against a specific breed but against a specific "type" so it can be a very arbitrary decision over whether a mixed-breed dog who resembles a pitbull, regardless of the dog's temperament, is subject to the legislation.

The current problem and the point of this petition is that they are considering extending the DDA to cover more breeds.

This law is a completely rubbish piece of legisation, it means that perfectly well behaved, good natured family pets can be deemed to be of a 'type', just because of the way they look. Basically if you own a dog that looks a bit like a pit bull you may be breaking the law and can be prosecuted.

If you are taken to court then either your dog will be destroyed or, if you can prove to the court that it is no danger to the public then it can be added to an exemption register, and will have to be neutred, microchipped, and kept on a lead and muzzled at all times in public (despite having been proved in court to be not dangerous :wacko: ). The dog may be held in kennels for months while all this is being decided.

Target aggressive dogs and their owners by all means, and any scumbags who breed or use dogs for fighting should be locked up and never seen again as far as I'm concerned.

Don't target entire breeds - and certainly don't extend this stupid law to include more breeds.

All the major dog welfare organisations have now made statements condemning Breed Specific Legisation, and argue the case against it much better than I can. Some examples:

Dogs Trust Statement

RSPCA

Kennel Club

SPCA

When I worked in kennels we had a Pit Bull and a well known breed in together, the PBT was lovely but the well known breed would have had your hand off.

There are no bad dogs only bad owners.The well known breed mentioned above was a rescue that the owner had only had for a few weeks and was apparently a lot better. Any breed of dog can be dangerous, they all have teeth, there was a case a few years back (so it said on the radio) that a Scottie killed a child.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back