The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Scottish Derby

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
100% with you carole ,if gold run fit and sound he will not be far away,also like short spot poetry in motion love watching her run one to watch if shes right :cheers:

i tip biddy but colorado will not be far away

my main tip for the derby is little rascal :thumbsup: after seeing how little she was beat in the run off at champs :- " gonna be some good races :thumbsup: and hellbent will take some beating in the scratch :thumbsup:

do you have to register in advance or just show up with your dogs?

do the dogs have to pre-qualify or are newcomers welcome?

Might be wrong but I'm sure everyone will dive in if I am- :clown:

I think anyone can run at the Derby-providing the dog looks like a whippet lol-no labs, alsations or rough haired mongrals-

(no pre-qualifying necessary)- :blink:

Run to Scottish club rules....

Might be different for the Scottish Championships..though...

The previous post was mine---not Steve's-just realised- I've not signed in properly.

Karen :clown:

hope its going to be a known nolimit dog (if it is a no limit dog)) not someone taking the p--s using a greyhound.if it does not do the rounds kick it out.the people that run week in week out deserve the glory as do the dogs. we know 99.999% of the biguns.lets not let this happen bad crack :rant:

do they not have to be registered with either the BWRA OR NWRF I,m sure the Highland Derby was run this way at Dingwall

i dont think u do have to be a member of the fed or bwra 2 run @ the scottish derby im sure someone i know has raced there and not been a member of either. i do know if its a pup u r racing u need proof of age so therefore that wud prob b registered. im sure someone from the scottish region will correct me if im wrong though. :D

Alba said:
do you have to register in advance or just show up with your dogs?
do the dogs have to pre-qualify or are newcomers welcome?

The Scottish Championships and the Scottish Derby are not B.W.R.A or N.N.W.R.F events so you do not have to be registered with either but for proof of age for certain clases it would be better if you are also it is proof that your dog has had it's jabs. Kirkcaldy WRC run to B.W.R.A rules with some local rules incorperated so therefore any dog running has to meet certain criterias. As these events are on the Non Pedagree Whippet Racing calander (top ten) any person running a dog should be running the dog at and be a member of a Non Pedagree club and the dog should be proven and known at club level so that other racers at the club can verify this proof of jabs are also needed before a dog is allowed on the track. Newcomers are always welcome at Kirkcaldy WRC but for the safety of the other dogs in the race it is vital that dogs running are proven. If you are interested in Non Pedagree Whippet Racing come a long and have a look if you want to speak to the club secretary PM me and I will Pm you back with his telephone number and he will let you know all that you need to know.

I was very impressed with Doriva at the may championships and Little Rascal too but there are a lot running well at the moment there could be a challange from the dogs with Gold Run, Oscars Pride and Colorado and there's Biddy if she runs in the adults all in all the most open Scottish Derby for years I would say.

Last edited by a moderator:
This year as many others before will see some new up and comming dogs take the honors i think ---the bitches will depend on who has got it all together on the day without the bitch comming into season as very often happens just as they start to fly and your ready to take on all commers they break ----how many people have had that happen ---its not long since it happened to Biddy--- two years ago if my memory serves me right the day prior to the Derby---George was sick and who would not be ---she was flying at the time--all part of racing --back to the drawing board and start a fresh---

steve

NOT SURE IF TILLIE IS GOING TO BE BACK RACING IN TIME BUT I,LL BE COING WETHER OR NOT GOOD LUCK AND SAFE RACING TO EVERYONE

MUST SORT SOME CD,S OUT FOR THE PARTYING :- "

if i was still racing whips i'd deff be there had a great time last time i was there :(

specially watching the horse racing :thumbsup:

i think that oscars pride will take all the beating although the format dont suit him and drama queen will go close but ive heard there`s a dog running at old hall called frank thats taking off!!

i herd bout this animal it was flying ive heard through the grapevine that it will be in bonny scotland and will take the beating!! but we will c wont we frank.

kipper fluke said:
Might be wrong but I'm sure everyone will dive in if I am- :clown: I think anyone can run at the Derby-providing the dog looks like a whippet lol-no labs,  alsations or rough haired mongrals-

(no pre-qualifying necessary)- :blink:

Run to Scottish club rules....

Might be different  for the Scottish Championships..though...

I'm on holiday all month and have time to travel so I rang organiser Arthur Cook to enquire.

He says you have to be a member of an affiliated organisation and he said my lurcher (looks like a whippet except that he's 24 inches at the shoulder and nearly 50 lbs) wouldn't be eligible and my young whippet would need to be trialed before being allowed in the races. I think the whippet would do okay in trials but can't be 100% sure, the temptation to go is that I have so few opportunities to race whippets in Ireland and there would be 4 days of racing before the actual Derby (Sat, Sun, Wed, Sat). The Derby is on the last Sun of July and is only open to dogs who have qualified in previous heats.

as I said I'm tempted, so if there is anyone who can help me out re travel and/or accommodation, please p-mail me

is Kirkcaldy a nice place for a holiday?

how much of the day is spent racing and what do you do when you're not racing & not in Talk o' the Toon pub? I don't suppose the whippets are allowed in the pub.

I had a friend who was from Kirkcaldy but moved away about 15 years ago; unfortunately he died suddenly a few months ago. He was a friend of my dogs also and used to walk them.

As everyone seems so keen on the Scottish Derby and I've some leave to take, we'll try and get there too...here's hoping

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back