The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Scottish law

lurcherman

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Any one know the law on beware of dog sign ? Kind regards.

I have heard that if you display one, it could be interpreted that you know the dog is something to beware of - i.e. if it did intimidate someone, you are admitting you are already aware that might have been a possibility.

That said, I don't know how ingrained in law that is, especially since the DD Act says a dog could be deemed dangerous just for putting someone at fear in any case.

I've seen signs saying ”Dogs Running Loose on Premises”, would that get round it?

As Joanne says, in UK you would be on a sticky wicket by "admitting" the dog was dangerous. And, bizarrely, under the revised DDA, it is a crime if a dog attacks (even if just barking at) someone in your yard or garden, even if they are in the throes of committing a crime. The dog is only "allowed" to tackle an intruder in the actual house (not an outbuilding either). What numpty let that one through the legal process???? It is also a crime to have unattended guard dogs running loose - any guard dogs need to be attached by a lead to a human (not on a chain in the yard) though it is not a crime to have the "dogs running loose" situation as in pet dogs running unconfined in a non-guarding scenario. But that of course might tempt dog thieves.

Perhaps we can have a Forum competition for an alternative sign that would serve the purpose.

Perhaps we can have a Forum competition for an alternative sign that would serve the purpose.

'A Rottweiler lives here'? I did consider 'A badass dog lives here', but that 'badass' is probably admitting guilt. I've also seen 'Be aware of the dog' - just one letter and a space different, but you could claim you meant that burglers have to be careful not to trip over it.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back