The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

scratch racers

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i remember a dog called thorn boy 54 pound ??? both parents were 22 pound .no greyhound blood , maybe way back ??? work that one out ;) rest of litter were under 24 pound

so did it run out of whippet traps then ....it must be a whippet then.......... :D :p

I would just like to add WE are not against scratch dogs ,quite the opposite, we do not race our dogs around the bends but we do go to watch , and yes you can get a big dog from two small whippets this has happened many times over the years...... :D ;)they are still whippets ....

Last edited by a moderator:
seeing as topic has moved from scr traps to how big a dog should be to run with whippets,is a whippet going to ghd allowed.because some could turn out 20lb and some could turn out 70lb :p

Any breeding ought to be allowed as long as it follows the rules for the organization it races under. If the members/committee of the racing bodies accept no limit dogs of any size ( and thats what I think no limit means) than they should not be prevented from racing. Until/if the members/committee decide otherwise all racers should be allowed to run.IMHO

OK Ritchie sorry for being so negative ;) , IMHO i think your idea is a good one :D where would you have all the scratch racing though as some tracks deffinately are not long enough to cater for the BIG dogs that would be encouraged to race.......I am all for scratch racing but i think whippets are upto 32lb over that they are scratch dogs...what does every one else think :D :p

i agree with you there pat if the dog does weigh over 32lb then it is a scratch dog. if we are able to get some traps and everybody agrees on it (mmmm not likely ey )

the traps would prob have to be on one set track because of transporting them to different tracks could prove a problem. i cant honestly see people allowing it to happen but it was worth a thought ey.i dont think that either bwra or nwrf ought to put a limit on the size of the dogs allowed to run because no-one knows how big a 8 week old pup is going to turn out .ive got a 65lb dog at the mo when i bought him he was 9lb at 9 weeks his litter mates are not as big as him so it just goes to show ya never know what is going to happen. :p

I agree whole heartedly with all you have said Ritchie :D

any help needed you only have to ask...... :p seeing as it does not affect the smaller dogs i do not see why this can not be acheived............. :D might be some good racing too :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Aup debs here, rich n mand the idea you have is a good one, i agree moving the bigger traps would be a big problem, so i suggest to have a set at melton where the champs are held. I also agree that the scrtch racers would need to raise money for these bigger traps, which you have all our support and anything you want doing give us a shout, this way the scratch dogs would welcome the comfort and no need to bother the commitees in asking for any other members money. We have scratch dogs as you know and thats our personal preferance and wonderwall who used to race at 45lb found it very difficult to use the smaller traps sometimes an impossibility! So whats the harm here ;)

:D if your gonna get a greyhound next neil you better find a better one than your average sunday morning at highgate or you will struggle with the sc whippets.......ha....ha....ha. :p

too right jasper :p put naz with em anyday ??? my next greyhound will win irish derby :b

if you getting a ghd thats gonna win irish derby neil can we go 50/50 lol ;)

I agree with Debs the melton track would be a good track to run scratch racing on, so would old hall, seaham, dawdon and newton aycliffe, all good tracks with plenty of run off......... :D

i think they should leave traps as they are,im fed up of making kickboards ;) :p

i used to have 8 kennels till i started making kickboards,now 2 of my dogs sleep on garden,lol :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back