The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogmom9230

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi!

Really hoping this might resonate with someone! Would really love some advice, because it's not typical separation anxiety.

I have two chihuahuas, Frank (8yo) and Arnold (7yo), and they're lovely little well behaved boys. I put loads of effort in with them so that they wouldn't be nasty little barky snappers, and it paid off. They're amazing.

However, I've been working from home since the pandemic started, and this is going to be permanent/flexible which is awesome.

My desk/office was downstairs in the lounge, which meant I was sharing my space with Frank and Arnold. We had a reshuffle in January and moved my desk upstairs to the office so that we could keep our lounge as our lounge. Since then, everything seems to have gone quite wrong with poor Frank.

They are chihuahuas, so they're very loyal to me. They love their Daddy and do as he says, but they come running to Mummy for everything, and that's fine; I get that's in their nature.

Since I moved upstairs, Frank has been a nightmare. He yips at the bottom of the stairs from the lounge (the lounge door leads directly to the stairs), and so I go down, firmly tell him no and to get back on his bed, and he does, and that's fine. I tend to pop down throughout the day to get drinks, play with them/let them out so that they're not just left alone. I also leave the radio on for them too, and they have a million toys, plus a little tipi they can burrow and snuggle in.

As soon as I finish work, we go for a decent walk!

The main issue is that Frank is now waking us up at any time between 5:30 and 6:30am - I don't usually get up until 7.

Daddy lets them out for toilet when he goes to bed around 1am, and we've had vet checks so I know outright that there's no toilet/health issue that's causing him to wake us up.

I think Frank has now worked out that I spend most of my day upstairs, and he's waking up when he thinks I should wake up and he wants to see me; I might be doing fun things upstairs without him!

If I let him upstairs with me, he's fine; really well behaved etc. I think he just wants to know where I am. However, we stopped letting them up because he started waking us up, and we wanted him to start to get used to not being sat around me all day, and of course, this has backfired.

Oddly, if I leave the house, they're absolutely fine. My neighbour is a friend, and she says she's never heard a peep from them, and even Daddy says when he's sat upstairs in the office and left the boys downstairs, there's nothing; they're quiet and well behaved, so I know that this isn't typical separation anxiety, because they are fine without me - it is literally just Frank wanting to get upstairs.

Arnold is absolutely fine; we have no issues with him.

Can anyone help? It's driving us insane with lack of sleep, and I hate the idea that Frank is stressing! What can I do for him to stop this behaviour?!

Hi dogmom, and welcome to the forum:) I'm going to lock this thread as it's duplicated in the Training & Behaviour section of the forum, but do please feel free to add a new 'Intro' post if you like. In the meantime, I'm pondering on your problem, and promise to reply soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back