The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Settling In Tips Please

HopeRosie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
As all new puppy mums/dads can appreciate Im excited/nervous/wanting to do everything right for Evie when I get her home on Saturday. Ive had dogs for nine years so Im not a dog newbie, but Ive never had a whippy before and every breed is different obviously.

Has anyone got any tips or suggestions for the weekend/first few days ahead to help her settle in?

My plan for the weekend is to collect her in the morning, and my children are away with their dad all weekend so it will just be Rosie and I in the house. I will have all her bed and everything all ready. Rosie is extremely laidback and Im not expecting any problems introducing them, but there is enough room in our house to give Rosie a space to chill out if necessary.

Im going to stick to her feeding schedule thats shes on at the moment, and just intend gently introducing her to the garden, and downstairs over the weekend. Playing with some of her new toys and starting to find out about her personality. Lots of :wub: and :huggles: and for her to find the comfiest spot in her bed to zonk out (hopefully lol).

Does this sound ok? When did you first take your puppy out in your arms to see the big wide world?

At bedtime Im not sure whats best to do, have her in her bed/crate in my bedroom for the first few nights or in her crate in the kitchen with my other dog from day one? Eventually I would like her to sleep in the kitchen/dining room with Rosie.

You wouldnt think I had dogs before would you :p

Just three sleeps left :wub:

try to put her in the room you want her to sleep in and close the door, leave her for a very short time and then go in, but dont make a fuss just act as though its a normal thing...........do this every hour but for longer each time.................it will get her used to not being with you every second....and will hopefully make her first night a bit easier, im sure she will cry and make a fuss, but should soon settle in.

my mum did this with her pup and only had 2 sleepless nights! (not whippet)

my sister did this as well but had 1 week of sleepless nights! (not whippet)

i did this and had 3 weeks of sleepless nights !(whippet)!!!!!!!

good luck, you must be so excited :thumbsup:

We also had a few probs settling our whippet for the first few nights.

Make sure your crate is really warm and snug - we eventually put a duvet over the top of the crate to make a snug den and he finally slept through night whereas before he would wake up at 2am and 5am feeling cold and lonely. I think the duvet also muffles noises which wake him up (birds in the morning etc)

Have you bought a wheat bag for pup to snuggle in to? Murphy loves his as its just like snuggling with another pup and means if your other dog does not take to puppy straight away puppy wont be lonely.

Good luck. Make the most of your sleep over the next few nights!

Hiya Janice, you must be so exited!!!!!!!

I always take my puppies to bed just for a few days until they are used to being without mum. Have never had any trouble getting them to sleep with the other dog once they have accepted each other.

Mind you am a right softie :wub:

Cant wait for pics :luck: Jan x

I always have a puppy in my bed for the first few nights(it would be longer if I could get away with it :lol: ) then I usually have a prepared crate next to my others crates, snug and covered with a teddy, I would never personally put a new puppy in the same crate until it is established with the others and they have worked their way round that themselves when they are ready.

It can be very hard at first and its not always easy to be strong if you new baby is crying but they have to get used to it and usually do pretty quickly, but it tugs on your heart strings I have given in a few times when they were pups :oops: :huggles:

Good luck I'm sure everything will be great :luck: :luck:

Ahh just re- read my first post, I probably didnt explain myself very well - Rosie has her own bed and Evie will have her own crate - both bed and crate will be in the kitchen eventually. I think I will move Evies crate into my bedroom at night to begin with just so I can reassure her with my voice and wake up quickly if she needs a wee. I have got a puppy wheatbag thingy so I will see if that helps too.

Excited - noooooooooo what ever makes you think that (janice secretly hops about and paces floor :- " )

Im a real softie too JayP, its those puppy eyes...they get me everytime.. o:)

good luck with her im so pleased for you :thumbsup:

with any young dog, when ever she gets up from a sleep -_- or finnished playing :wacko: whip her straight out for a wee (or something more) :- "

sometimes with mine i felt like id spent most the day going in and out the garden :sweating:

but its worth it, gets them clean so much faster :thumbsup:

i think we have only had about 6 accidents indoors :oops: with both our girls :wub: :wub: ...........usually when dad is left in charge :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back