The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Shampoo

Helen Wells

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Beautiful new pup came home today and was quite dirty when we got back after a bit of a stressful long car journey so I gave her a bath with puppy shampoo. But since then she has been scratching a lot and I'm worried it's irritated her. Tried rincing again in case I hadn't done it properly the first time but she's still not happy. Any advice please? I hate seeing her so frustrated with itches!

We never use shampoo on our lot, (puppy or adult). Just a nice very warm shower in the bath until the water runs clean.
Of course if you have some stinky fox poo to get out that is different but only the immediate affected area to have the shampoo.

I never use dog shampoo if i ever need to bath mine they get bathed in human baby shampoo ...johnsons ...never had a problem with itching skin ....

Beautiful new pup came home today and was quite dirty when we got back after a bit of a stressful long car journey so I gave her a bath with puppy shampoo. But since then she has been scratching a lot and I'm worried it's irritated her. Tried rincing again in case I hadn't done it properly the first time but she's still not happy. Any advice please? I hate seeing her so frustrated with itches!
Even if the bottle says 'puppy shampoo'...if it has any scent that can be irritant. Thorough rinsing is good action as any possible shampoo left on the coat can be one of the reasons for itchiness.
But the shampoo can also be just too efficient cleaner, add to that warm water which on its own can effectively remove the protective natural oils from the pups skin.
In future if you still find the need for a shampoo, be sure that you dilute it well, add the diluted shampoo on the wet dog and don't rub it in much at all to create lots of bubbles which would mean that the concentration of it is strong.
Now you have to take care with your pup's diet so that she gets enough good oils/fats that will help her to keep her skin in good condition..addition little bit of fish (fish oils) would be good for her skin. My pups used to like eating dried sprats ..just couple of them per day to chew was enough to keep their skins and coats in good condition.
I've also used fish oil (and evening primrose oil) addition to the food for adult dog with dry itchy skin. But with pups it is safer to add just little bit of fish to go with their food or give a fishy treat.
The itchiness will quite likely calm down naturally once the skin moisturizes itself again.

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back