The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Showing Question?

Whippets Rule

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was just wondering whether a dogs temperament has to be a certain way when showing.

i'll explain........obviously it would be a bad thing if a dog bit a judge or was aggressive but is there a rule or what have you regarding the temperament of dogs being shown?

for example the dog has to look a certain way and move in a certain manner etc so does its temperament get considered along with its appearance etc or is the judge JUST on the day looking to see that the physical conformation is right.

my reason for asking this is that i noticed some dogs at Crufts seemed a bit skittish/excited while being lined up and i wondered what the rule was? i'm only asking now because a conversation with someone today reminded me to ask.

thanks

that possibly doesn't make sense but this might.

if a dog looked absolutely perfect and moved really really well but seemed a little nervous would it still win or would a calmer but slightly less perfect looking dog be more likely to win?

ps i don't show,never have never will,can you tell :lol:

Personally, I would disregard a dog when I was judging if it was aggressive, certainly towards people unless there was a very good reason, or if it was obviously so frightened that it would scarper should the chance arise. Those are obviously the worst case scenarios and the dog would be down the line or unplaced.

I would not personally penalise a dog for being 'skittish' as long as I could assess it enough to see its movement. I would probably give it enough chance on the move, especially if I liked the look of it, because I think there too many 'automatons' in the show ring and I like to see a bit of character!

Are we talking just whippets here or all breeds in general ? I ask because some breeds are known ,and are expected to be `aloof` . so they should not get penalised for not being to content at being handled.

Any aggression to humans ,whatever the breed should be heavily penilised of course ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i was thinking in terms of whippets but now you mention it i'd be interested to know which breeds are expected to be aloof.

and thanks for replying both of you.....its nice to learn something new :)

depends on what kind of temperament shown, if you know what i mean. went to a show last autumn, and this one stafford bitch, she was exquisite, but awfully reluctant. she wouldnt stand (her owner was lifting her up by her tail and head :( ) she wouldnt walk (poor thing was being dragged along on her bum) it raised a few chuckles, but no, she didnt get anything. sadly, imo, an older, somewhat overweight bitch who was laid back and happy got the first. if a dogs skittish through high spirits, boisterous, curious, alert etc, i dont think that should be penalised. if the dog is miserable, or unwell, scared or aggressive, well, i dont think, unless its out of character behaviour, it should even be shown, just because, especially with frightened dogs, of the risk it might pose to other dogs.

TEMPERAMENT

Gentle, affectionate, even disposition.

Well, the standard reads "Gentle, affectionate, even disposition". That certainly leaves room for some variety, but in opinion a whippet should not be overly shy, and certainly not aggressive.

Now I think a shy staffie, for instance should not be awarded top honors, as its standard reads "Bold, fearless and totally reliable", whereas a Saluki could be a lot less forthcoming without being penalised for that in the show ring ("Reserved with strangers but not nervous or aggressive. Dignified, intelligent and independent.")

but in opinion a whippet should not be overly shy, and certainly not aggressive.

I totally agree with this

Well, the standard reads "Gentle, affectionate, even disposition". That certainly leaves room for some variety,

seems pretty straight forward to me, please explain variety?

bookworm said:
Well, the standard reads "Gentle, affectionate, even disposition". That certainly leaves room for some variety,

Well, English is not my first language, so I might be wrong. Still, I think a dog can be more or less outgoing and still be said to show these characteristics, can it not? Even if it does not throw itself at any stranger, it can still be said to be affectionate (towards those it knows, that is).

bardmand said:
bookworm said:

Well, English is not my first language, so I might be wrong. Still, I think a dog can be more or less outgoing and still be said to show these characteristics, can it not? Even if it does not throw itself at any stranger, it can still be said to be affectionate (towards those it knows, that is).

I agree with what you say, but a judge has only a short time to assess an animal's temperament, if it shows signs of having a bad temperament, even if this is not it's usual behaviour, She/he can only make a decision on what is presented at that time

Whippets Rule said:
I was just wondering whether a dogs temperament has to be a certain way when showing.
i'll explain........obviously it would be a bad thing if a dog bit a judge or was aggressive but is there a rule or what have you regarding the temperament of dogs being shown?

for example the dog has to look a certain way and move in a certain manner etc so does its temperament get considered along with its appearance etc or is the judge JUST on the day looking to see that the physical conformation is right.

my reason for asking this is that i noticed some dogs at Crufts seemed a bit skittish/excited while being lined up and i wondered what the rule was? i'm only asking now because a conversation with someone today reminded me to ask.

thanks

very interesting topic :thumbsup:

Whippets Rule said:
i was thinking in terms of whippets but now you mention it i'd be interested to know which breeds are expected to be aloof.
and thanks for replying both of you.....its nice to learn something new :)

Borzoi, Saluki, Azawakh, Sloughi. I would go as far as to say that most sighthounds are somewhat more reserved than say lab or Springer spaniel etc. All these breeds are very sweet and affectionate with their owners and people they know. Some of my Borzois were very friendly, I would describe their demeanor more as dignified than aloof.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back