The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sick Whippet

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
my young whippet bitch had tempreture of 40.5 and was taken straight to vets very quiet no energy went from a fit coursing dog to no interest in life in hours, thought she had auto immune however tested and when results came back negative was scanned and found to have a very large spleen so opened her up and was very upsetting as the spleen was large but normal, after several days she was given steroids, temp began to go down and over 3 days she returned to normal, no answer to what was wrong and never had a problem since. Friend had problem similar his whippet was treated with steroids straight away and she recovered over the next few days
jane and silk

Thats must have been very worrying, im interested to know when you say was tested for autoimmune and was negative, what tests were carried out ?

with your friends whippet were antibiotics tried first ? If not then the vet must have had an idea of what was wrong before treatment with steroids so did your friend have a diagnosis ?

Its all a learning curve for everyone in the breed and any information you can give on here may help other s with similar symptoms

Thanks jan

my young whippet bitch had tempreture of 40.5 and was taken straight to vets very quiet no energy went from a fit coursing dog to no interest in life in hours, thought she had auto immune however tested and when results came back negative was scanned and found to have a very large spleen so opened her up and was very upsetting as the spleen was large but normal, after several days she was given steroids, temp began to go down and over 3 days she returned to normal, no answer to what was wrong and never had a problem since. Friend had problem similar his whippet was treated with steroids straight away and she recovered over the next few days
jane and silk

Thats must have been very worrying, im interested to know when you say was tested for autoimmune and was negative, what tests were carried out ?

with your friends whippet were antibiotics tried first ? If not then the vet must have had an idea of what was wrong before treatment with steroids so did your friend have a diagnosis ?

Its all a learning curve for everyone in the breed and any information you can give on here may help other s with similar symptoms

Thanks jan

jane and silk

Thanks jan
first of all they took several blood tests which were sent away even though they were classed as urgent the results took a week to come back, they tested for the most nasty auto immune however i was told it did not cover all strains so still not really a conclusive test as far i was concerned. the little dog continued to not respond to the anti boitics and slipped further for the next two days i attended the vets every day sometimes staying for several hours and then they decided to scan her which was when they found she had a large spleen and opened her up only to find that there were no masses and she was fine in all her organs,at this stage she stayed in over night and was given a low grade steroid which bought down the tempreture slightly and high grade steroids could not be used as she had been operated on very worrying as the steroids were the only thing that controlled her temp, she was not eating and had lost a massive amount of weight, i was cooking up chicken and syringing chicken brooth down her throat to try to get some goodness in, interesting that i used honey to sooth the throat and this seemed to help at this stage i was trying anything to keep her alive. after couple days and more visits to vet silk was started on steroids it took a further couple of days for her to pick up and her appertite to return, her tempreture went down as soon as a larger steroid dose was given. I never want to go through this again it was horrible and i felt helpless, i now have a thermometer with me even when i go away and if any of my dogs look slightly off colour i take their tempreture as this seems to be the first indication that something is really wrong the weakness and loss off appitite comes later. as for my friends little dog the vet took a view that steriods was the best way forward from the start and she responded in the same way as silk taking a couple of days for the steriods to kick in i dont really know what the answer is as steroids given wrongly can have a profound impact but in the case of my little girl would of solved her problem a lot quicker and stopped the need for her to be opened up, jane and silk

Thank you so much for troubling to reply here, its a great help fpr those of us gathering information :thumbsup:

Auto immune dosnt have "strains" as such, but affects certain organs , this can be skin, blood and just about any organ in the body....I assume the bloods would show anything such as thrombocytopaenia etc

Meningitis would only be diagnosed with a spinal tap and even then does not always prove conclusive

It seems to me from the details you have given it is likely to be an autoimmune condition as only a high dose of steroids had any effect...this would suppress the immune system and control the symptoms

I would be very careful in future regarding vaccinations as they can be responsible for stimulating the immune system into an inappropriate response in genetically predisposed dogs.......so no boosters

And as you so rightly say...any temperature rise or infection can also have the same effect

I do hope she will be fine in future and im sure she is in the best hands with you :luck:

Jan

Thank you so much for troubling to reply here, its a great help fpr those of us gathering information :thumbsup:
Auto immune dosnt have "strains" as such, but affects certain organs , this can be skin, blood and just about any organ in the body....I assume the bloods would show anything such as thrombocytopaenia etc

Meningitis would only be diagnosed with a spinal tap and even then does not always prove conclusive

It seems to me from the details you have given it is likely to be an autoimmune condition as only a high dose of steroids had any effect...this would suppress the immune system and control the symptoms

I would be very careful in future regarding vaccinations as they can be responsible for stimulating the immune system into an inappropriate response in genetically predisposed dogs.......so no boosters

And as you so rightly say...any temperature rise or infection can also have the same effect

I do hope she will be fine in future and im sure she is in the best hands with you :luck:

Jan
"I would be very careful in future regarding vaccinations as they can be responsible for stimulating the immune system into an inappropriate response in genetically predisposed dogs.......so no boosters"

interesting statement, do you have any clinical evidence to back that up?

Jan
"I would be very careful in future regarding vaccinations as they can be responsible for stimulating the immune system into an inappropriate response in genetically predisposed dogs.......so no boosters"

interesting statement, do you have any clinical evidence to back that up?

I am going on all the advice and information given to me by Dr Jean Dodds, a reowned expert on the subject both here and in America, if you are interested in the research and its findings I will email it all to you if you pm your address

I did say be very careful and in all things can only give the best advice I can to those who may not have access to such expert help

Of course they may and even should discuss this with their vet and make their own decisions

I am going on all the advice and information given to me by Dr Jean Dodds, a reowned expert on the subject both here and in America, if you are interested in the research and its findings I will email it all to you if you pm your addressI did say be very careful and in all things can only give the best advice I can to those who may not have access to such expert help

Of course they may and even should discuss this with their vet and make their own decisions

Yes, it is becoming fashionable in USA not to vaccinate - dogs and children. Thanks to that we now see childhood diseases that we thought are all but extinct

in developed world. Last year we had a huge outbreak of whooping cough, with at least one little baby dying. and many others being very sick. Vaccination is just a means to expose individual to disabled virus, so immune system develops antibodies without the danger of becoming ill. If it was so dangerous to expose already vaccinated individual to more viruses, that would mean that coming in contact with virus in the environment would also "overstimulate" the immune system.

Some people took the report, that the immunity for parvo, distemper etc. lasts longer than year, as meaning they do not have to vaccinate ever again after the initial set of shots. And that is OK to leave it for few years, but as viruses mutate, I would not be at all confident that todays vaccine will still protect my dog in 10 years time, even if he still has some antibodies produced by that vaccination.

There have been many long term inependent, and very extensive studies done into children vaccines, and all those done properly came to same conclusion; they are not responsible for the problems claimed by the anti vaccination loby.

By the way, anybody knows what happened with the OP's dog?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont want to turn this into another vaccination debate, thats not what it was about, everyone has their own opinions on this and needs to do their own research

I will say though that even the vaccine companies say ONLY VACCINATE HEALTHY DOGS and one with a previously inappropriate immune response to an environmental trigger is not healthy ! In these cases its wise to consider the risks of no boosters against the risk of developing one of the diseases

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back