The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Skin Problems?

senga

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi there a friend of mine has newfoundlands and labs the probelm is that the newfoundland was moulding bad and then when the fur grew back in the lab decided to mother her groom her this is making the new hair fall out. is there anything that my friend can put on the newfoundlands skin to stop the lab grooming but not to harm any of the animals.thanx

Is the moulting just general moulting? The reason I ask is because I'd be surprised for this particular breed to experience moulting so severe as to create bald patches? Another thought is dogs that are very close to each other will tend to lick their mates if they've got areas of soreness / irritation / inflammation etc in an attempt to heal the area. (I've got a whippet bitch that used go mad to lick areas of psoriasis on my ex)

If it is general coat moulting, I think that most coat conditioning creams won't deter the lab, although I've seen tea tree creams on the market and imagine the taste would be off putting? Might be worth a try?

Good luck :luck: , would love to see some piks of the newfoundlands as I think they're lovely dogs. :wub:

I also think that it is not just an ordinary moulting. T-tree oil may deter the licker, it may also help if there is some infection. Wash the dog and put few drops of T-tree oil in little bit of warm water, spray over the dog, especially the affected area, rub in well. If that does not help I wound have him looked at by the vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the lab 'grooming' the newfie would be enough to leave bald patches unless there was an underlying problem. Is the Newfie a puppy or an adult?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back