The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sleeping with dog while having asthma/allergies

pauleo17

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My jackchi (Jack Russell + Chihuahua) used to sleep on his bed downstairs but I wanted him to sleep in his bed in my room. He did not want to sleep in his bed and now he is used to sleep in my bed.
I have asthma and a little bit of allergy to dogs and I don't want him to sleep in my bed.
How can I train him to sleep in his bed in my room? Any ideas? Please thank you

I think there are two ways you can approach this. First, prepare for a few sleepless nights, and every time he gets on your bed, put him back on his bed. But as your bed will be infinitely more desirable to him, he may be extremely persistent and sneak back on every time you doze off - whether it will work depends on how biddable he is (and given his cross, that might not be very biddable!).

The second approach would be to have a lovely comfy crate next to your bed, and get him used to sleeping in that. I'm not really up on crate training - you need to get him to see it as a desirable snug den, not an incarceration - but others may be able to advise.

I think there are two ways you can approach this. First, prepare for a few sleepless nights, and every time he gets on your bed, put him back on his bed. But as your bed will be infinitely more desirable to him, he may be extremely persistent and sneak back on every time you doze off - whether it will work depends on how biddable he is (and given his cross, that might not be very biddable!).

The second approach would be to have a lovely comfy crate next to your bed, and get him used to sleeping in that. I'm not really up on crate training - you need to get him to see it as a desirable snug den, not an incarceration - but others may be able to advise.

Thank you so much! I will try to do the sleepless nights when I am on holidays.

I also recommend a crate, at least at first maybe to get him used to sleeping on the floor? So that he cant sneak onto the bed throughout the night. Then eventually you could maybe let him sleep in it with the door open, then just a normal bed.
Definitely get him used to the crate before expecting him to sleep in it all night, feed him his dinner in there, give him tasty treats and chews in there.
Although if you don't want him to sleep in a crate every night for his life (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's perfectly fine as long as the dog is comfortable with it) it may be best to do the other way because you'd probably need to train him not to go on the bed anyway when you get to the door open stage.
I used a crate with my dog, she used to spend the night in it as a pup in my room and when we weren't at home. I got her used to it first so she was fantastic, she now sleeps in a dog bed in the kitchen no problems. I can't recommend crates enough.

If you have asthma and allergy to dogs it may not be the best for you that your dog sleeps in your bedroom. Says she with a dog allergy whose two dogs sleep in the same room lol. I have found over time that my allergies have become less troublesome. Before dogs I couldn’t touch one without being unable to breathe and having hives everywhere they touched me but loving them so much I had to have one, 6 dogs later my allergies just result in sneezing a lot if they need a bath. But all that is not helpful to you right now lol. Maybe try the crate by your bed as suggested x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back