The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

So What "is" A Non Ped ?

tinker*

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This might sound daft but what is a non ped whippet.....??

and so how was this data-base compiled? :wacko:

I was always lead to believe that a non ped was basically a whippet with greyhound blood? (maybe a 1st/2nd/3rd cross etc) so that means they are "long dogs?" but almost bred out, but bred to be slightly larger, stronger and hopefully quicker than standard whippets.

Please correct me if im wrong , just trying to get my head around this. :wacko:

so how is a dog registered with the database? :blink:

No replies! (w00t) Go on I'll stick my neck out..

MY OPINION:

A non-ped is the term used on the likes of K9 to describe the original racing whippet.

Whippets came about from a mix of terriers, greyhounds and probably other sighthounds knocking around at the time.

Gambling was big business, greyhounds were coursing (racing didn't exist for them as the oval track hadn't been invented) there was ratting in pits, cock fighting and the sport of dog racing. Before the oval track came about, the best way to observe dogs racing was along a straight track where one could stand alongside and watch the race. Dogs were bred for the purpose of running this track and winning.

Breeding for purpose results in dogs sharing a similar appearance. As these dogs are predominantly sprinters the end result is a dog of sighthound appearance (i.e streamlined, enlarged heart and lungs, long backed, long legged etc) but with a large muscle mass like is seen with sprint athletes.

However as the racing whippet does not fall under a closed stud book or a breed standard, there is a wide range of diversity by the means of eye shape, ears, tail carriage, coat etc etc.

Racing whippets since their existance have raced in scratch or weight handicaps and GENERALLY as they become smaller, their speed is reduced. (which is why there is a weight handicap)

Outcrosses to greyhounds were done to enhance speed and/or size in those dogs that were closely inbred and it works well like any diverse outcross does.

Because the breed continues to outcross with the greyhound (the most genetically diverse 'pedigree' dog) it prevents genetic defects and faults occuring.

The gene pool these days is small (certainly compared to the KC registered whippet) as no gambling occurs, bookies have gone to the greyhounds and breeders don't charge extortionate sums for their pups. It is not a lucrative sport which I personally see as a good thing.

With bends racing becoming popular, there can be a certain amount of gain from increasing the amount of greyhound blood to the whippet to cope with the longer distance. However when it became apparent that these dogs could have an unfair advantage and more importantly to preserve the whippet breedlines within the dogs, new rulings were introduced to curb such breeding patterns with breeders and owners agreeing to the possibility of a DNA test should a dispute occur. Introducing a rule was difficult as no-one wanted to exclude any dogs that could be seen as a genuine racing whippet. Various formats were put forward, one was seen as the most workable solution and whippet racers voted it. Whilst it is not perfect and has flaws it certainly goes some way in preserving the whippet bloodlines from being saturated by greyhound blood. The rule itself is not set in stone and could be removed, altered or replaced by another rule if whippet racers chose.

The BWRA database spans decades of whippet breeding. Pedigree whippet owners will find some of their dogs heritage there.

It, just like the Kennel Club pedigree databases is not infalliable, however with little financial revenue and no breeding clauses within the sport there is little motivation to fraudulantly lie about a dog's breeding.

Today, both the KC and the 'non-ped' whippet racing organisations are taking advantage of DNA technology where any genuine allegations occur of ccorruption.

Non-ped racing whippets are registered on the database through application (and acceptance) with the BWRA.

U.K. Pedigree whippets are indeed slower and will not recoup this through breeding under the KC as this genetic material has been lost. It may be redeemed through using imports as some non-ped racing blood exists in registered whippets outside of the U.K.

With regards to lurcher racing, personaly I feel the reason non-peds are entering into the sport is because the format is similar to whippet racing. When you run such similar formats whether it be from the instant entry of non-ped blood or through selective breeding for purpose, eventually over time the dogs will evolve to meet the purpose they're being used for. The only thing that hinders this currently is running surface (where a hardier or slower dog may be less likely to pick up an injury and thereby have a longer running career)

All the above is my humble opinion. I am not a representative of any of the whippet racing organisations or my fellow whippet racers and as such no-one should deem that my opinion is either gospel or right. There is a lot of ''politics'' within the sport - mainly being picked at from them outside the sport and I don't want to see another thread being dragged through the gutter just for folk to try and score points against one another but at the same time I didn't think it was fair to ignore Tinker*'s post either.

Thats a good reply and very well explained well done :thumbsup: .

It's a dodgy mongrel without papers.....Lol....but generally faster than one with papers.

IMHO.....Karen

wow - thanks....

That does explain alot :)

:thumbsup:

wow - thanks....

“A grew should be headed like a snake and necked like a drake, backed like a beam, sided like a bream, footed like a cat and tailed like a rat”.

And this what it should look like :thumbsup:

wow - thanks....

“A grew should be headed like a snake and necked like a drake, backed like a beam, sided like a bream, footed like a cat and tailed like a rat”.

And this what it should look like :thumbsup:
(w00t) I know some humans that applies to. LOL (w00t) :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
No replies! (w00t) Go on I'll stick my neck out..

MY OPINION:

A non-ped is the term used on the likes of K9 to describe the original racing whippet.

Whippets came about from a mix of terriers, greyhounds and probably other sighthounds knocking around at the time.

Gambling was big business, greyhounds were coursing (racing didn't exist for them as the oval track hadn't been invented) there was ratting in pits, cock fighting and the sport of dog racing. Before the oval track came about, the best way to observe dogs racing was along a straight track where one could stand alongside and watch the race. Dogs were bred for the purpose of running this track and winning.

Breeding for purpose results in dogs sharing a similar appearance. As these dogs are predominantly sprinters the end result is a dog of sighthound appearance (i.e streamlined, enlarged heart and lungs, long backed, long legged etc) but with a large muscle mass like is seen with sprint athletes.

However as the racing whippet does not fall under a closed stud book or a breed standard, there is a wide range of diversity by the means of eye shape, ears, tail carriage, coat etc etc.

Racing whippets since their existance have raced in scratch or weight handicaps and GENERALLY as they become smaller, their speed is reduced. (which is why there is a weight handicap)

Outcrosses to greyhounds were done to enhance speed and/or size in those dogs that were closely inbred and it works well like any diverse outcross does.

Because the breed continues to outcross with the greyhound (the most genetically diverse 'pedigree' dog) it prevents genetic defects and faults occuring.

The gene pool these days is small (certainly compared to the KC registered whippet) as no gambling occurs, bookies have gone to the greyhounds and breeders don't charge extortionate sums for their pups. It is not a lucrative sport which I personally see as a good thing.

With bends racing becoming popular, there can be a certain amount of gain from increasing the amount of greyhound blood to the whippet to cope with the longer distance. However when it became apparent that these dogs could have an unfair advantage and more importantly to preserve the whippet breedlines within the dogs, new rulings were introduced to curb such breeding patterns with breeders and owners agreeing to the possibility of a DNA test should a dispute occur. Introducing a rule was difficult as no-one wanted to exclude any dogs that could be seen as a genuine racing whippet. Various formats were put forward, one was seen as the most workable solution and whippet racers voted it. Whilst it is not perfect and has flaws it certainly goes some way in preserving the whippet bloodlines from being saturated by greyhound blood. The rule itself is not set in stone and could be removed, altered or replaced by another rule if whippet racers chose.

The BWRA database spans decades of whippet breeding. Pedigree whippet owners will find some of their dogs heritage there.

It, just like the Kennel Club pedigree databases is not infalliable, however with little financial revenue and no breeding clauses within the sport there is little motivation to fraudulantly lie about a dog's breeding.

Today, both the KC and the 'non-ped' whippet racing organisations are taking advantage of DNA technology where any genuine allegations occur of ccorruption.

Non-ped racing whippets are registered on the database through application (and acceptance) with the BWRA.

U.K. Pedigree whippets are indeed slower and will not recoup this through breeding under the KC as this genetic material has been lost. It may be redeemed through using imports as some non-ped racing blood exists in registered whippets outside of the U.K.

With regards to lurcher racing, personaly I feel the reason non-peds are entering into the sport is because the format is similar to whippet racing. When you run such similar formats whether it be from the instant entry of non-ped blood or through selective breeding for purpose, eventually over time the dogs will evolve to meet the purpose they're being used for. The only thing that hinders this currently is running surface (where a hardier or slower dog may be less likely to pick up an injury and thereby have a longer running career)

All the above is my humble opinion. I am not a representative of any of the whippet racing organisations or my fellow whippet racers and as such no-one should deem that my opinion is either gospel or right. There is a lot of ''politics'' within the sport - mainly being picked at from them outside the sport and I don't want to see another thread being dragged through the gutter just for folk to try and score points against one another but at the same time I didn't think it was fair to ignore Tinker*'s post either.
:thumbsup: thanks

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back