The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Something to bind her.

RGC

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Nothing to do with “Lord of the rings”. Mabel’s been loose on and off for the past week. She’s eager for her food and treats and doesn’t appear to be unwell although she has been licking her lips and drinking water noticeably.
Her diet is mainly raw complete although today I mixed white long grain rice with a few dessert spoons of raw. Has anyone got suggestions re what I can feed her to bind her and alleviate the (forgive me) ‘squits’.
With respect to the profession I’d rather get suggestions from the forum than from our veterinary practice.

Cooked pumpkin or butternut squash. Just a small amount - too much will make it worse, so I'd start with a dessert spoonful.

If you want to look on the bright side, her timing couldn't be better :D

I give butternut squash to my lot ...also mashed potato is better than boiled rice ..have you tried giving her a bonio a day :):)

Many thanks, JoanneF and Tinytom. I’m very grateful. Will put your suggestions into practice tomorrow. She’s currently zonked out on the sofa. B0159D5E-885C-4933-892B-4EB9A13708D8.jpeg
B0159D5E-885C-4933-892B-4EB9A13708D8.jpeg

Nothing to do with “Lord of the rings”. Mabel’s been loose on and off for the past week. She’s eager for her food and treats and doesn’t appear to be unwell although she has been licking her lips and drinking water noticeably.
Her diet is mainly raw complete although today I mixed white long grain rice with a few dessert spoons of raw. Has anyone got suggestions re what I can feed her to bind her and alleviate the (forgive me) ‘squits’.
With respect to the profession I’d rather get suggestions from the forum than from our veterinary practice.
Maybe Mabel needs little more bone content in her food or given extra as a treat? What is the bone content in her 'complete'? There is also supplements available for 'bulking' purposes. I bought of those sort for one of ours when she needed her glands being 'massaged' with more firmer stools..but I now manage it with bones. I think one of the supplement brands I bought was Protexin Pro Fibre but there is plenty others (and cheaper too) on market.

Lip licking can indicate pain, I hope she's feeling better:)

Maybe Mabel needs little more bone content in her food or given extra as a treat? What is the bone content in her 'complete'? There is also supplements available for 'bulking' purposes. I bought of those sort for one of ours when she needed her glands being 'massaged' with more firmer stools..but I now manage it with bones. I think one of the supplement brands I bought was Protexin Pro Fibre but there is plenty others (and cheaper too) on market.
Thanks for your input, Finsky. I always put her raw complete by hand into her bowl to give me a rough idea of its texture. She’s been on beef and lamb complete for the last two weeks and there was very little bone content in that compared with chicken and duck complete. This is a learning curve for me as we didn’t encounter this with our previous two whippets. I’m hoping to pick up some YuDigest Plus this week - thanks, JudyN. There’s obviously something amiss with her digestive system as, from the start of embarking on her raw diet, there have been few issues relating to her motions. However, once we’re past the current ordeal I’ll have to monitor bone as well as vegetable content in her complete meals. Thank you to all for your suggestions - I’m very grateful. Now, if you’re au fait re a d-i-y hernia op please let me know.

Lip licking can indicate pain, I hope she's feeling better:)
That’s very kind, niamh123. It must have been an odd taste in her mouth. She’s no longer licking her lips. She’s seeing the vet next week for her annual booster so she’ll have a, as thorough as practical, inspection.

Thanks for your input, Finsky. I always put her raw complete by hand into her bowl to give me a rough idea of its texture. She’s been on beef and lamb complete for the last two weeks and there was very little bone content in that compared with chicken and duck complete. This is a learning curve for me as we didn’t encounter this with our previous two whippets. I’m hoping to pick up some YuDigest Plus this week - thanks, JudyN. There’s obviously something amiss with her digestive system as, from the start of embarking on her raw diet, there have been few issues relating to her motions. However, once we’re past the current ordeal I’ll have to monitor bone as well as vegetable content in her complete meals. Thank you to all for your suggestions - I’m very grateful. Now, if you’re au fait re a d-i-y hernia op please let me know.
I'm no use with DIY hernia ops..:D...though as I can be bit of a 'dr Finsky' I'll soon find the info ;):p
On the other note...if the dog food has rich fat content, some dogs may not readily digest it, hence their poo can get loose and if the colour of the poo is on the lighter end...it could well mean that fat has become the issue...and that can again be indication for some other digestion issues.

Reactions: RGC
I'm no use with DIY hernia ops..:D...though as I can be bit of a 'dr Finsky' I'll soon find the info ;):p
On the other note...if the dog food has rich fat content, some dogs may not readily digest it, hence their poo can get loose and if the colour of the poo is on the lighter end...it could well mean that fat has become the issue...and that can again be indication for some other digestion issues.
You’ve got it in a nutshell, Finsky, much lighter in colour. I’ll replace her treats (dried chicken twists and other such) for bonio type biscuits until there’s a marked improvement. Many thanks.

Beef and lamb mince might be more fatty than chicken. Duck is fatty, though.

You chaps are so kind, big thanks JudyN.

Something that has occurred recently is an increase in flatulence. Mabel has a tendency to bolt her food to the point that it’s gone within a few gulps. I understand that this could exacerbate such gastric emissions. She was invited to a ‘meet the new neighbours’ midday session yesterday but I had to take her out as a result such unladylike behaviour - not dissimilar to Julie Walters in ‘Dinnerladies’. Is anyone aware of possible solutions? I’m thinking of getting an inhibitor to place in her bowl to slow down her wolfing before I even contemplate anything else. She’s on a raw diet plus tiny treats as rewards, Lily’s Kitchen Woofbrushes (½ a day) and Bonios.

My last dog, over our 14 years together. If he had the trots, I would give him white rice, well cooked with an egg white added and cooked. I would do this each meal and usually by day two things were normal or fair much. this was told to me by a vet I wish I still had access to. My dog was very fussy as is my recent one. The vet also said, if you need to put in a tiny bit of chicken well broken to spread it out, just to encourage fussy eater to eat this boring meal. Also because rice requires much water to cook, you are rehydrating. I believe(but check this bit with google !!! )that even dogs that can't have glutten can have rice. Ideally cook when your close to using as you probably know, you have to be really careful with rice sitting around.

My last dog, over our 14 years together. If he had the trots, I would give him white rice, well cooked with an egg white added and cooked. I would do this each meal and usually by day two things were normal or fair much. this was told to me by a vet I wish I still had access to. My dog was very fussy as is my recent one. The vet also said, if you need to put in a tiny bit of chicken well broken to spread it out, just to encourage fussy eater to eat this boring meal. Also because rice requires much water to cook, you are rehydrating. I believe(but check this bit with google !!! )that even dogs that can't have glutten can have rice. Ideally cook when your close to using as you probably know, you have to be really careful with rice sitting around.
Many thanks for your input, Pascalina. Mabel’s motions are now back to normal, touch wood. I think she probably ate something disgusting which she picked up on a walk. She does scavenge but a swift “no!” checks her. By no means is she a fussy eater - she’d eat for England. There’s also been some success checking her flatulence. I’ve bought a spiral slow feeder insert for her feeding bowl and her mealtimes are no longer gulping bouts. Is that a saluki - your avatar? Beautiful, but that’s applicable to all sighthounds.

Many thanks for your input, Pascalina. Mabel’s motions are now back to normal, touch wood. I think she probably ate something disgusting which she picked up on a walk. She does scavenge but a swift “no!” checks her. By no means is she a fussy eater - she’d eat for England. There’s also been some success checking her flatulence. I’ve bought a spiral slow feeder insert for her feeding bowl and her mealtimes are no longer gulping bouts. Is that a saluki - your avatar? Beautiful, but that’s applicable to all sighthounds.

Yep a Saluki cross. I would guess maybe part Greyhound. Your dog is beautiful. Your feeder sounds good. Jasper also has his food raised as i had heard this was less likely to cause bloat but my guess is your spiral feeder very good as also slows down the scoffing. My dog is very picky, unlessss something horrendous on the pavenent. He did have real knockout wind , which is less so as he is getting older, perhaps gut maturing a. Also Jasper doesn't eat directly after excersize, untill he is completely chill and never excersizes until at least an hour after eating. This is to ensure he doesn't get bloat . I believe this is a situation to be careful with , with barrel chested dogs.

I’m thinking of getting an inhibitor to place in her bowl to slow down her wolfing

You can try just placing a smaller bowl upside down in her bowl to slow down her eating, if you don't want to fork out on gadgets or special bowls.:)

Ooops! Just saw your other post saying you'd already bought a spiral feeder, apologies...

You can try just placing a smaller bowl upside down in her bowl to slow down her eating, if you don't want to fork out on gadgets or special bowls.:)

Ooops! Just saw your other post saying you'd already bought a spiral feeder, apologies...
Many thanks, Flobo. I did try an upside down cup in her bowl but that only slowed her down a fraction, as did a large pebble. The insert I’m currently using has compartments. I’m surprised at its success.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back