The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Soon to be whippet mum

westfield

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, my name is Charlotte and in around 6 weeks a little blue whippet pup called Gracie will be joining our household.

It is a long time since I last had a dog. I had a chocolate lab from being a puppy, but she went with my ex when she was 2 and that was 12 years ago. I remember the manic energy and horrendous chewing, and also lots of fun walks and lovely cuddles, but not much else! My husband has never had a dog, and my son is just 7, so this is a really big adventure for all of us!

I'm doing so much reading and research on whippets, feeding, training etc. Glad to be here!

Hello Charlotte, Welcome.
Getting a new puppy. How very exciting!

I do hope that you are not paying the breeder any of the "Covid" high prices.
Many reputable breeders are not breeding at the moment and any genuine breeders are still charging normal prices.
Do the parents have any DNA health tests done?

Please send us some pictures when your puppy arrives, we all love pictures.
Oh so exciting! :D

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your imminent arrival! I second excuseme's request for photos :)

I suspect child training will be just as important as puppy training - pup isn't a plaything, don't disturb her while she's eating or sleeping, don't shriek when she gets overexcited and/or nippy or she'll get more overexcited/nippy, and if she steals one of your toys, don't chase her and don't try to wrestle it off her. Oh, and be very careful about putting your toys away/out of her reach or she will destroy them!

Ah you are so lucky! I’m on the lookout for a blue whippet girl but covid has wreaked havoc. Hopefully in the new year I will find my baby. I’d love to see photos! I’ve read they are very ‘chewy’ for 2 years and not to bother replacing or repairing things for a while lol
My nephew got a whippet cross a couple of years ago my goodness his little pin teeth hurt!!!! He was hard work for a couple of years but he is the most adorable and loving chilled out dog you can imagine now.
So excited for you.

Ah, thank you all.

I am sure we have paid a bit more for her than 'normal' prices, but we have been waiting for so long and now is a very good time for us.

My sister has two whippets so I have an idea of what is in store... we have a few weeks to tidy up and put chewable things away. We plan on crate training too (i remember wishing I'd done it earlier with my lab when we found plugs chewed off appliances and the side of an armchair destroyed overnight!).

We are so excited, she will be a wonderful addition to the family- we juat need to get through the really tough stage :)

I know people are upset about the inflated covid prices but I also think it is supply and demand, it’s really difficult because if breeders don’t charge the going rate then people will buy those puppies and sell them on to god knows who for a quick profit. Main thing is that you love your puppy

I'll be honest, the general level of prices was a bit of a shock. We didn't pay anything like the crazy amounts we saw being asked, but some people must be paying them! I agree, it seems to be driven by demand and supply and 'the market' settles at what people are willing to part with...

She will be extremely loved, even when she is being spawn of satan - I'm sure there will be a few of those moments :)

They do grow into lovely dogs.

Be sure your family knows that sighthounds often sleep with their eyes open, and so people need to be sure the pup is actually awake before she is touched.

Looking forward to seeing photos :)

welcome :)
Nothing better than a whippet pup! Get plenty of rest now lol they are great puppies to have full of beans and loving ❤ can't wait to see pic's

Best of luck with the newbie-in-waiting. Adopting a new dog (whether rescued or bought) has taught me the benefits of tidying things away from destructive teeth and paws.

Best of luck with the newbie-in-waiting. Adopting a new dog (whether rescued or bought) has taught me the benefits of tidying things away from destructive teeth and paws.
Indeed and they will still fine every little thing you have missed or 'lost' and couldn't find. They are like magnets for forbidden things... :D

And don't think they can't jump onto worktops - and then stretch up to open the cupboards -

Oh gosh, it's all coming flooding back. Like the time the lab found a big bag of liquorice at the back of the top of a dresser and ate the lot... And when she tucked into the raw potatoes in the pantry...
We have a serious amount of dog-proofing to do!

Hello. I have recently joined myself. I know how you feel, I was so excited to get my new pup. Hope time goes fast for you and your new pup settles in well :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back