The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sore Joints

Dave Wilson

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, we have a young whippet 2yrs 4months old, who after long walks seems to stiffen up after he has been sleeping for a while he can hardly move until he warms up again,then he's fine. He's not had this problem before and just wondering how a young fit dog could be behaving like this ? :wacko:

Dave Wilson said:
Hi, we have a young whippet 2yrs 4months old, who after long walks seems to stiffen up after he has been sleeping for a while he can hardly move until he warms up again,then he's fine. He's not had this problem before and just wondering how a young fit dog could be behaving like this ?  :wacko:

Dave Wilson said:
Hi, we have a young whippet 2yrs 4months old, who after long walks seems to stiffen up after he has been sleeping for a while he can hardly move until he warms up again,then he's fine. He's not had this problem before and just wondering how a young fit dog could be behaving like this ?  :wacko:
No the joints look normal and they're not hot either :(

The joint to look for is the ankle joint which some people think is the knee on the front legs . If the joints are not swollen that's good .

It does sound a bit unusual though and if it continues or gets worse or you are worried at all then a trip to the vet might be necessary :)

Hula said:
The joint to look for is the ankle joint which some people think is the knee on the front legs . If the joints are not swollen that's good . It does sound a bit  unusual though and if it continues or gets worse or you are worried at all then a trip to the vet might be necessary  :)

Thats the next port of call will see vet tmorrow and ask their advice thanks :)) :cheers:

Hope he is fine , let us know how you get on :)

Dave Wilson said:
Hula said:
Hope he is fine , let us know how you get on  :)
Yes will do thanks again :cheers:

Hi we were at the vets today and their advice was - his electrolites were unbalanced due to him racing about so much, so we have some anti-inflammatory tablets for him and was advised to massage him before and after exercise.If the problem persists they can try some other things but this should work ok :D

Thanks for all the helpful comments everybody :cheers:

If it's electrolyte imbalance then I wonder if there is a possibility that whippets can suffer from Azoturia ....... It's a form of cramp caused by a build up of proteins in the muscles..........

http://www.equinehospital.net/azoturia.htm

It can generally be avoided by correct feeding and regular exercise in horses so I assume the same will apply to whippets :)

It will also a huge help if you keep the muscles cosy with a coat until they are warmed up properly :thumbsup:

Dave Wilson said:
Dave Wilson said:
Hula said:

Hi we were at the vets today and their advice was - his electrolites were unbalanced due to him racing about so much, so we have some anti-inflammatory tablets for him and was advised to massage him before and after exercise.If the problem persists they can try some other things but this should work ok :D

That's good news I'm so pleased , I was quite worried about him . I didn't like to say but my first whippet was that age when she died . Her symptoms were similar but she had something entirely different . Sounds like you will be able to sort out your dog's problem fairly simply :)

Hula said:
Dave Wilson said:
Dave Wilson said:
Hula said:

That's good news I'm so pleased , I was quite worried about him . I didn't like to say but my first whippet was that age when she died . Her symptoms were similar but she had something entirely different . Sounds like you will be able to sort out your dog's problem fairly simply :)

Hiya, thanks for your reply jane hopefully its not azoturia, he's fed on chudleys greyhound racer plus chicken,sardines and tuna which is a good diet we hope :thumbsup: when he's out we have a coat on him if its wet or cold.He seems to be better today and moving fine :sweating: thanks for your comments and your whippets look great can i have sox :D :cheers:

Dave Wilson said:
Hiya, thanks for your reply jane hopefully its not azoturia, he's fed on chudleys greyhound racer plus chicken,sardines and tuna which is a good diet we hope  :thumbsup: when he's out we have a coat on him if its wet or cold.He seems to be better today and moving fine  :sweating: thanks for your comments and your whippets look great can i have sox  :D   :cheers:
Oh good! I'm glad he's moving around better now :D

That's a very high protein diet if he isn't in training for racing? :unsure:

If his electrolytes are imbalanced then it might be because he is having a high protein diet without the level of exercise needed to go with it?

I feed mine raw all the time - no complete dry food at all. They still race around like loonies but, touch wood, haven't had any problems so far :blink:

Glad you like my little Soxy :wub: :D - she's a little vandal tho' - needs an ASBO put on her :lol: :thumbsup:

jinnyfizz said:
Dave Wilson said:
Hiya, thanks for your reply jane hopefully its not azoturia, he's fed on chudleys greyhound racer plus chicken,sardines and tuna which is a good diet we hope  :thumbsup: when he's out we have a coat on him if its wet or cold.He seems to be better today and moving fine  :sweating: thanks for your comments and your whippets look great can i have sox  :D    :cheers:
Oh good! I'm glad he's moving around better now :D

That's a very high protein diet if he isn't in training for racing? :unsure:

If his electrolytes are imbalanced then it might be because he is having a high protein diet without the level of exercise needed to go with it?

I feed mine raw all the time - no complete dry food at all. They still race around like loonies but, touch wood, haven't had any problems so far :blink:

Glad you like my little Soxy :wub: :D - she's a little vandal tho' - needs an ASBO put on her :lol: :thumbsup:

He does go racing at the Caledonian Thistle ped club and also goes out hunting so he normally is very active, we did check the diet with our vet and they said no probs :D :cheers:

lots of greyhounds and some whippets suffer cramp my old boy is a bugger for it hes 11 now and even after a walk will get stiff and cramp after a sleep and one of my racing whippets used to get terribel crap. I was adviced to give tinned tomatos they have 1/3 of a tin a few houes before racing nd my old lad has a bit in his food every day and touch wood in 3 years neathr have has a single twinge might be worth a try and make sure before and after raceing he gets a good rub down to relaxs his mussles.

fallenangel said:
lots of greyhounds and some whippets suffer cramp my old boy is a bugger for it hes 11 now and even after a walk will get stiff and cramp after a sleep and one of my racing whippets used to get terribel crap. I was adviced to give tinned tomatos they have  1/3 of a tin a few houes before racing nd my old lad has a bit in his food every day and touch wood in 3 years neathr have has a single twinge might be worth a try and make sure before and after raceing he gets a good rub down to relaxs his mussles.
Hiya, I'll try the tomatos could help my lad :thumbsup: , and we are improving our massage skills so should help too :D :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back