The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Spay wound advice

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I agree it a hot topic- and off the OP's who was doing her very best to manage an existing situation. Which I hope resolves. But I think some of the other posts make my point. There's a lot of junk advice around specially on the net- and vets themselves are under financial and social pressures and cannot always be neutral. Then there's the cut and paste artists (sorry Terry but your history is as wonky as your biology- Google Margaret Beaufort, 13 yo mother of King Henry!) who leave owners less well informed not more. My view is simple. A young dog or bitch can be managed by an owner to stay out of reproduction till it has matured physically, hormonally and if your willing to be patient mentally. Instead of looking at a pup as a collection of cells and organs think conscious, sensitive creature. After all no one would put a young child through a painful, quite traumatic procedure if they could wait till it was old enough and more capable of dealing with it. And if posting makes someone else think before making a big animal welfare decision, it's worth doing. I'm done. Good luck OP and baby girl.

@merlina agree with you although I think there is a slight difference in thinking when comparing the USA to the UK and the EU. Most vets here advise against early spay neuter yet in the US it seems to be a very on trend way to go.

Suzie was spayed when she was nearly 3, my vets wanted me to do it a lot sooner but i wanted to wait. Everyone is different and have their own choice to make about their dogs i just believe they need to be mature.

To squelch any potential conflict, I started a new thread. :)

This post - which included the stats on U-S euthanasia, nationally,
& the contrast between Southeast U-S [loads of litters, floods of homeless pets overwhelming shelters] vs New England [very few unplanned litters, few homeless pets locally - shelters import them for local adoption]
can be found HERE:

Desex & age of pet - why do shelters neuter pups?

Last edited:

These are recent pet ads on Lakeland, Fl, CraigsList -

Puppies. (Haines city florida)
image 1 of 5
00c0c_jDGz8FTgBQj_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

Hello -
Pure mix of 2 high cuality breeds are born pitbull x doberman ; they have their first set of shots an tail are doked an they been declawded ..2 males an 3 females left they are ready for their new homes .. if any one is interested text me or call me to shedule an apoiment to see the puppies .thanks
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 6802353581

posted: 3 days ago

updated: about an hour ago

SHORKIE PUPPIES LAST TWO

(google map)

2 male Shih Tzu mix puppies
Mixed with yorkie
Will come with FL health certificate as they already had there first set of shots and were dewormed.
There is a rehoming fee to ensure these puppies go to good and loving homes. Please email me contact info and I will get back to you!

Thank you and have a blessed day!!

post id: 6804295401

posted: about 3 hours ago

Catahoula pit mix
image 1 of 3
00V0V_eNge5zjyikK_600x450.jpg

01515_hkCUft7ZJxZ_600x450.jpg

00000_2b9nHkC8WVS_600x450.jpg

(google map)

Born Oct 9th male so playful and so cuddly his name is Tucker $50 re homing fee to ensure amazing home

post id: 6804295774
posted: about 3 hours ago

Free Cocker Spaniel full blood (Haines city)

01313_8lDOOSfOV06_600x450.jpg

Barlyn ave at Old POLK city road
(google map)

11years old house trained only one medical problems hard of hearing love to play very good dog good with kids he's very known at Davenport pet smart as a good dog shots up to date, we're moving and not able to take him

post id: 6804082109

posted: about 16 hours ago

Two Dogs need loving home (Wahneta)
image 3 of 3
00w0w_c1vTHIWPBZD_600x450.jpg

00I0I_2Il15VaqFaA_600x450.jpg

00505_9eSfOz2Ogqz_600x450.jpg

2nd Wahneta Terrace at Rifle Range Road
(google map)

These two beauties need a new home.
The male (Ty) is a Rhodesian Ridgeback and the female (Luna) is a black-mouth cur. Ty is a year old and Luna is two.
I am asking a re-homing fee of $100 for both, I do not want them separated. They do not do well with other dogs or cats. Serious inquiries only please. Send me a text if you are interested: show contact info

post id: 6803916747

posted: about 20 hours ago

The pups in ad #1, Dobe x Pit, look to be about 12-WO; they’ve gone past their sell-by date, & will soon be giveaways or surrendered to the shelter. // They’re not adorable squushy infants, anymore. :(

The “Shorkie” litter - no photos, no DOB - will eventually sell, tho probly not for the original price.

The pit-mix in ad #3?... He turned 3-MO on approx Jan 9th.
Look how he & his littermates are fed, in the 1st photo - cheap kibble poured ON THE BARE GROUND of the unfenced yard. // If they don’t have hookworm, roundworms, whipworms, pinworms, tapeworms, AND heart worm, i’ll be astounded. :(
If he isn’t hit by a car on the street by 6-MO, i’ll be shocked.
[The power pole, just over the owner’s shoulder in photo #3, marks the street.]

The “free dog” 11-YO Cocker is a sad case.

The 2 crossbred dogs in ad #5?...
The owner wants to rehome them as a pair [good luck!], they don’t get on with other dogs OR CATS [e-g, they probly chase & want to kill them], & both are pitbull-mixes - as common as dirt, in most of the USA.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In stark contrast, this is Boston CraigsList -
boston pets - craigslist

... & here is the most-recent *dog* ad on Boston CL -

2 yr old hound beagle mix (Littleton)
00o0o_iWIAPvrmLxO_600x450.jpg

(google map)

Located in new Hampshire. Willing to meet in concord nh.
160$ rehoming fee for her.
post id: 6804287858

posted: about 4 hours ago

Notice that they live in NH, & post their dog for adoption in BOSTON?

U have to scroll down to ad #78 to find another dog who’s being rehomed by the owner - there are 2 young pups above that, a Sibe & a 4-MO Golden, & 1 “missing cat” ad [a Siamese].

All the other ads are for pet gear [bird cages, dog crates, fish tanks...], reptiles, fish, & birds, feeders [insects, rodents, etc], or services - dog walking, pet sitting, etc.
What a difference!

- terry

@JudyN ,

I am talking about the consequences for shelters, rescues, & pets when unintended or poorly planned litters are born. :confused: This is relevent to prior posts that expressed opinions condemning S/N prior to “maturity”, however the individual poster might define that.
The high costs to pets & communities are starkly visible, here in the U-S.

I already expressed clear support for the OP’s option to spay before 1st estrus, so i cannot imagine how my response to other persons’ expressed opinions might “alienate” the OP?...

Plus i seconded the idea of seeing another vet, & also suggested that the OP request a reimbursement from vet #1, & ask for a new set of sutures [or even skin glue] over that failed end incision - which will necessitate a small cut to give fresh edges, & eliminate the lump of keloid tissue.
Those are all constructive, practical suggestions.

If i can’t talk about the aftermath of intact pets, then i would politely suggest all the other comments regarding desex, from other forum members, should also be deleted from the thread. :) Sauce for the gander is also sauce for the goose.

If all discussion of S/N here is deemed inapropos, I will be more than happy to delete my posts from this thread, & start a new one.

- terry

My comment wasn't aimed specifically at your posts, @leashedForLife , particularly those addressing the spay wound, but I felt that the thread had gone waaaay off topic and looked likely to run and run. Plus it's an emotive topic, and not necessarily what someone who has made the decision to spay at 6 months wants to read. I appreciate that your posts were giving a balance to the majority, who feel 6 months is too early, and thus your posts were in agreement with the OP.

@Clair McGuire , do please let us know how you get on:)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back