The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

"spin"

aslan

a totally addicted
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This is a breakaway topic from the "Breeder's Contracts" topic.

The trouble is that to put up anything vaguely competitive with THAT website would have to have as much spin as [it] does. How can you compete with claims like;"6 entries 6 placings" at shows week after week? Of-course, [it] forgets to mention that often the placings are 3rd out of 3, 2nd out of 2, or 1st out of one! So in fact the "placings" are being last.  ........... I had a person (not local) just recently asking me why i am not using [those] dogs, considering [that person] is such top winning breeder.

I'm not condoning that website or breeder BUT there is no use complaining about what that person is doing there - unless it's a lie. Spin wins elections, spin is used in advertising on a daily basis, spin is a clever marketing tool. And let's face it - marketing is the way the dog world is going.

"6 entries - 6 placings" is not a lie - even if the places were 2nd out of 2 or whatever. And I have come to believe that this is very clever marketing to the pet audience, because Joe Blow off the street doesn't know what Best in Group, Reserve in Group means. A "placing" though, is in their vocabulary - they understand it - and it means "good". They don't know that "my dog" with his umpteen dozen BIG's and classes in show is a bigger winner than "that" dog who has "got a place" (= 2nd out of 2) at the the last however many shows it's been to.

And it works to the show audience (from overseas) as well in some respects. Someone in England or the States may read into that "6 entries - 6 placings" something totally different than the Aussies who know where the show was and how many Whippets were likely to have been entered there.

This person is not the first to 'market' to a target audience. There are many successful breeders who've been doing it for years. And to be successful at it you have to "know your audience" - one of the first rules of advertising/marketing. That person knows that there are wealthy people about looking for a pet that can also be a status symbol. They can brag that they paid so much money for a dog because it's breeder has dogs that "get placed everywhere".

So you decide whether you want to market your kennel or whether you want to just report on it - tell the honest facts - and take your chances. There's no use whinging about the people who market - they are not breaking rules - and it's not going to stop them.

I am not complaining about anything Lana, I am just replying to Karen's suggestion that other breeders should try to beat these 2 breeders in their own game, by creating equally lovely websites. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
For those people who did not read the other thread; we were talking about two gentlemen. One who breeds unregistered dogs purely for pet market, advertising continuously in local papers (not in my area) and another person who has a very impressive website with the show results mentioned above.

The main problem that we have with the first person is the condition his dogs live in and also serious congenital health problems they seem to have.

Our problem with the second person was lot more complicated that suggested by Lana. It certainly was not just "clever marketing". :) But it seems to be mainly resolved, i am not sure why he was brought up in the first place.

Anyone got a link to the impressive website, I'd like to take a look.

A pm would be cool :)

TCx

TC said:
Anyone got a link to the impressive website, I'd like to take a look.
A pm would be cool  :)

TCx

My curiosity is aroused too. I would like a pm too, just to be nosey :lol:

Pauline

WOW!!!!!!!!!! I can see that this might get out of hand. So far everyone is right.

No lies have been said, no nothing, & that all it is a big nothing.

The facts are for example only, 4 wins from 4 enrties. Woopie do.

I personally dont like that type of advertising. It is cheap & nasty.

I dont have a web site. But if I did I would not be bothered with this cheapness. Any way they are breaking no laws in this respect.

But lets not be too quick about this. I have had people look at my pups & everything is fine. then they say look at this site & all their wins. So I lay it on the line, if you belive they are better & you then buy from them, Dont come back.

I have had the time that someone came back & said they bought a dog & it turned savage. Sorry your too thick for me is the answer.

In all respects, if the purchaser is so dumb to even think this way, then they are not a good home for my pups.

Cartman said:
I dont have a web site. r is so dumb to even think this way, then they are not a good home for my pups.

You don't need one really need one either Cartman.

Karen :)

Seraphina said:
I am not complaining about anything Lana, I am just replying to Karen's  suggestion that other breeders should try to beat these 2 breeders in their own game, by creating equally lovely websites.  :)
Tesa said:
I get very frustrated when I hear people lament about how deceiving websites are (and let’s face it, the Aussies know exactly who’s website you refer to Gail). Why is it that so many people are reluctant to beat them at their own game. So many breeders need to bring their own websites up to scratch. Use it as a tool to educate Joe Blow.
I think I have been misquoted. I did not say that breeders need to [SIZE=14pt]create [/SIZE]equally lovely websites to beat them at their own game. If you re read my post, you will see I asked why breeder's who lament about other people's website don't do something about their own website.

Just in case I haven't been obviously clear, this only applies to:

a) the websites that need updating

and

b) to people with websites. Not everyone wants or needs a website.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back