The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Springer knee ligament injury

Martin Birch

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi I have a bit of a quandary. I have a Springer spaniel male who is 11 years old. I have been to the vets and he has done his knee ligament. The problem I have is I don’t know whether for him to have the surgery or not. He has a limp improved quite a bit since then and is thoroughly petrified of vets. He is insured but want to do best for him and he is taking Tramadol and Metacam.
Thank you

When you say he has 'done' his ligament, a lot depends on how seriously.

My dog ruptured his cruciate ligament at the same age. It was a bad injury, we elected for surgery. But other dogs do well with rest.

My dog ruptured his cruciate ligament at the same age. It was a bad injury, we elected for surgery. But other dogs do well with rest.

How long did it take to recover please?

From injury to get back to pre-injury fitness, about four months. That included surgery, rest and physiotherapy.

I did the same with one of mine - a 7 year old lurcher. Vet suggested avoiding surgery if possible, so we did rest, massage, physio, very careful exercise and homeopathy. She recovered well. But as already said - it does depend on the dog and the injury.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back