The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Spud - Bedlington X Whippet

wobblywitch

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Posted with permission:

Hello everyone,

Meet Spud. Spud is looking for a new home.

He is a splendid fella and people who know about such things tell me that he is a Bedlington x whippet, with maybe some Collie in there somewhere down the line that has bulked him out a bit.

Spud stands around 18 inches at the shoulder. He has been castrated. He's a solid little fella and has a lovely, friendly nature. He has been re homed three times in his life from Manchester Dogs Home, and his last home was with an elderly lady who walked with sticks or got about with the aid of an electric scooter.

Here's a photo:

Spud011.jpg

Spud005.jpg

As for age, there is some confusion. The elderly lady describes him as two years old, but his health card from Manchester dogs home has him down as six years old. My own opinion, fwiw, is that he is older than two - he is too steady for a two year old, I think. But I don't think he is as old as six - I had a look and he has really good teeth and gums, very clean, doesn't look like a six year old dog to me. I'd split the difference and go for 3 or 4. Or just accept that Spud is a dog of indeterminate age and lets' face it, that is his prerogative.

Spud003.jpg

He also has a suspect back leg. I'm no expert by any means and obviously I haven't seen him off lead, but when you watch him walking away from behind, it looks to me like there is a slight roll from the right hip. You do have to be looking for it though... but that may be more obvious when off lead, dunno.... Again, people who know about such things have told me that this may be a trait of the bedlington terrier, which apparently have a tendency to 'roll' in this way. If so it is nothing to be concerned about...

The reason he is being re-homed is that the elderly lady concerned lives in a small terrace cottage and Spud has developed 'guarding tendencies', apparently, so he needs somewhere with an enclosed garden. I have three pages of hand written notes about Spud from this lady, so here are some edited highlights:

Very good with people and children and regularly goes shopping on the bus around the village. He waits patiently outside shops and does not bark. He travels well in cars.

His main interest is toys and games and he will happily play fetch games until exhausted. He is also very good at tracking.

He does not always behave well with other dogs, particularly males, and at present must be kept on lead when out. She has received advice on this and has been told that this behaviour can be corrected.

Spud is highly intelligent, trainable and anxious to please.

And then she goes on to describe an array of commands Spud will respond to. She also mentions a 'slight deformity of the right wrist' but I could see no obvious evidence of this.

He will chase cats apparently, but he will obey the <LEAVE IT> command.

My own impressions were that he was a good natured, friendly lad, and if anything was somewhat submissive to me when I approached him. This could of course be due to his present unsettled circumstances. His most striking feature to me was his eyes - he has beautiful eyes.

All in all he's a lovely, shaggy-coated lad!

If you're interested in finding out more about Spud, please contact Sparrowpit dog rescue on:

01298 815931 and ask for Barbara, Drew or Elizabeth.

Alternatively, if you would like to speak to me about him, don't hesitiate to mail me with your contact details to fghjkhsa@yahoo.co.uk and I'll be happy to call you back.

Spud010.jpg

Take care all,

Andrew. (And a big thanks to Tracey for posting this up! :- )

PS - Sparrowpit is close to Buxton, Peak District.

PPS - I don't know if Spud has been chipped.

That's just down the road from me. Maybe I'll see him out and about one day in the Peaks, if he gets rehomed not too far away.

Good luck Spud. :luck:

Great news - Spud has gone to his new home. He's gone off to live with some lovely people in Kent with 5 acres of land!

Well done Spud - have a happy life :lol:

Awww well done :D good luck in your new home Spud :huggles: :luck: :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back