The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Staffy Prejudice

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
lol could be but he werent no lion killer,so ridg is out.I never knew if there was an african breed line but thats what i was told.To me he was just an ugly bugger especially with a shaggy coat,but i seem to pick them.lol.Who in there right mind would bring home a dobbie x greyhound.But who would breed one. :cheers:

i'd imagine its not so much staffy predjudice that stops entry, more a case of who actually trains staffords to be working dogs? thats not to say they wouldnt have an aptitude for it (my amber is a ratter extraordinaire, all by herself) but when you think working dogs, you think whippies, gh's, lurchers etc. many of the people that buy staffords want either a great family pet, or in the case of the idiot brigade, a 'hard dog'. neither of these two types would even think about bringing up an animal to fulfill a purpose other than to complement their own lifestyle.

as to crossing bull breeds with sighthounds, i'm really not keen on the whole idea tbh. crossing a dog with an inborn history of wanting to damage other dogs with a dog fast enough to catch other dogs :oops: a friends dog, tess, is an ebt x collie, and lovely though she is, she is a fiend when it comes to her own kind, and thanks to the collie in her, theres not a fence that she cant jump if theres a dog on the other side. their nextdoor neighbour cant leave his rottie outside, tess is that lethal :(

like i said, amber is outstanding as a ratter (thanks to my neighbours ahem hygiene issues after a marital split, our row of gardens became infested) we spoke to the neighbour, he gave her free rein, and omg, the carnage :x

dante or purdey will never be any good, unless there was a 'carrier bag killing' catagory, in which case either would win :lol:

The fact is true staffies are trouble against other dogs,you never know when they will turn.No matter how well you train them there can always be that chance but that can be with any dog.I will be training mine to work but if i thought for one moment it would attack i think i would keep it at home.It does give you something to seriously think about.After all they do make more of a mess than other terriers.Before anyone thinks i am slagging the staff off i am not as i used to breed them for 15 years,and i ve worked them,they will always have a place in my heart. :huggles:

My dog is (staffy x whippet) x (deerhound x greyhound) he has never shown any agression to other dogs and if your going by what each breed was bred for then what about the fact that deerhounds were breed for battle by attacking soldiers and pulling them from horse back.

you are right,i must admit,maybe in future there will be working staffys at the shows.I am going to do my best with my pup.It is how you train them,just like any other working dog. :cheers:

moggy said:
My dog is (staffy x whippet) x (deerhound x greyhound) he has never shown any agression to other dogs and if your going by what each breed was bred for then what about the fact that deerhounds were breed for battle by attacking soldiers and pulling them from horse back.

Where did you get that deerhound fact from? :- "

As far back as the 15th century deerhounds were used for coursing DEER from start to finish,by the mid 18th century there were 2 types depending on the area from which they originated BOTH used for COURSING DEER from start to finish.The clue is in the name :DEERHOUND..you've got to be having a laugh!!

As far as showing and racing longdogs, to save all the confusion, why dont organisers call their shows lurcher and longdog shows? That way, all would be welcome, and there would be no need for sour grapes when a dog gets beaten by a 'racier' type.

morganna said:
moggy said:

Where did you get that deerhound fact from? :- "

As far back as the 15th century deerhounds were used for coursing DEER from start to finish,by the mid 18th century there were 2 types depending on the area from which they originated BOTH used for COURSING DEER from start to finish.The clue is in the name :DEERHOUND..you've got to be having a laugh!!

harry potter or lord of the rings mavbe ?

Didn't ask anything other than where you got the facts you bandied about...having looked at your refs...well... still consider you are on a loser there. If you still doubt then take a look at the deerhound club website or the KC breed standard as per the doyen of the breed Miss Hartley...temperament :gentle and friendly,obedient,easy to train,docile & good tempered,never suspicious,aggressive or nervous,carries himself with quiet dignity...hardly the demeanour of a war dog!

Wikipedia:deerhound - USED FOR HUNTING DEER

Irish wolfhound soc ref:Major Richardson breeding deerhounds for hunting deer.

Cyberpict ref: deerhounds bred for large prey eg deer

Most of the references are to do with Irish Wolfhounds or shall we say supposed Irish Wolfhounds...as it also quotes "legends and myths" I think that speaks for itself!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
APOLOGIES to tiggergould on highjacking your thread which wasn't about deerhounds at all was it. :oops:

I shall now resist further comment on that subject and wish you well with your original post.

We have had a lot of fun this year at alot of game fairs and country shows we have had the opportunity to run our dogs with lurcher wold and the coursing crew at most of these events they have put on conformation classes as well. I run a littel club called aces witch run ball breed dogs and any other breed that wants to run. We were all so in the countrymans weekly this year.If any one is intrested in running there dogs contact me or visit our web site or fourm http://s1.zetaboards.com/A_C_E_S/index/ http://www.aces2007.co.uk/index.htm

countrymansweekly.jpg

16-06-2008202654.jpg

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg

IMG_4772.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

IMG_4725.jpg

puppyfrog.jpg

And they do work on rabbits

Photo-0171.jpg

Looking forward to next year now

Tiggergould if you want to run your dogs with ours they will have to be muzzeld i can let you know when there are any events comming up. We have run our dogs with some of the people from this board. Im supprised that no one has directed you to us.

Hi there,

Are there any other staffy walkers/owners who walk their dogs on hampstead heath?

I would love to hook up and go for a walk. I sometimes walk mai, a gorgeous staffy puppy with lots of energy. she is female.

and would love to help to dispel this awful staffy prejudice that exists.

thank you

sarah :)

I like the photo of the racing staffies

I thought the reason shows stopped offering classes for bull breeds was because of allegations that people involved in fighting dogs were participating in these classes.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back