The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Standard Changes

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
And of course there are, sadly, those who enhance pigment with tattooing which is permanent, or good water resistant mascara so that the real slatier colour of their precious dogs eye rims and noses is disguised.

(w00t) and those people who put a little marble or what ever where a testicle is missing (w00t) :oops:

I cant believe the things people get up to . just to win :cheers:

This string has been very interesting to read and get all the different views on height, pigment and country standards.

I am not a well known person in the whippet circles as I have only had the breed for 12 years. Most of my bitches stand between 17.5 and 18.5 inches and I have many a time been put end of the line and told by the judge my bitch is lovely but just a little too small! I havent tried to breed bigger as I do try to stick within the standard.

I have a dog in the States who for his body colour has the correct eye colour and is of a good height, he has on one memorable occation been put 2nd to a dog whom was described by my dogs owner as being way too big, hump backed and its movement was shocking. When she approached the judge to ask why she was placed 2nd behind this animal the judge replied " I love your dogs size and type but his eyes are just a bit light for me so I had no choice but to penalise him..." needless to say my dogs owner was furious as at the end of the day she thought anyone should put a very nicely put together dog with "light" eyes over a badly constructed dog any day. This seems to be the American way of fault judging.

Differne tcountries seem to have different ways of doing things but my question is what is the point of having a standard if you are not going to breed and judge to it?

Thanks again for a very interesting thread.

Karen said:
I would like to see the breed as 'that dog' that made me want a Whippet in the first place not some alien Greywhip sort of dog. 
Absolutely!!! i do not know how i missed this post before. :unsure:

When people talk about improving the breed unhappily most of the time they mean changing it.  A change is not nessesarily an improvement as anyone who has tried New Improved anything in the supermarket will tell you :thumbsup:
YES, I always cringe when people, especially those who only just started in whippets, talk about improving the breed. We should be talking about "IMPROVING OUR LINE". :)

I also am never keen on worrying over much about any one thing. Give me a good big dog anyday over a badly constructed right sized one.
Yes definitely, but i would try to mate him/her to something smaller. I would not breed two greatly oversize dogs any more than i would want to breed two with any other problem corresponding. What would be the point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Emma Frame said:
This string has been very interesting to read and get all the different views on height, pigment and country standards.
I am not a well known person in the whippet circles as I have only had the breed for 12 years.  Most of my bitches stand between 17.5 and 18.5 inches and I have many a time been put end of the line and told by the judge my bitch is lovely but just a little too small!  I havent tried to breed bigger as I do try to stick within the standard.

I have a dog in the States who for his body colour has the correct eye colour and is of a good height, he has on one memorable occation been put 2nd to a dog whom was described by my dogs owner as being way too big, hump backed and its movement was shocking.  When she approached the judge to ask why she was placed 2nd behind this animal the judge replied " I love your dogs size and type but his eyes are just a bit light for me so I had no choice but to penalise him..." needless to say my dogs owner was furious as at the end of the day she thought anyone should put a very nicely put together dog with "light" eyes over a badly constructed dog any day.  This seems to be the American way of fault judging.

Differne tcountries seem to have different ways of doing things but my question is what is the point of having a standard if you are not going to breed and judge to it?

Thanks again for a very interesting thread.

Hi!

Yes I agree with you, eye colour should not be high on the list of what is important in the breed. Are you aware of that in America they have a different standard than the British and in the American standard a whippet should have dark eyes and dark pigmentation (I am not saying the judge did the correct thing….). What is ridiculous about the American standard is that colour is supposed to be immaterial and then asking for dark eyes and pigmentation excludes dogs of certain colours……..

Henrik Härling

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back