The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sudden change please help

nickygoo

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

Please help, I have a 1 year old spaniel who has been an absolute angel since we got her. She is pleasant and happy and a joy to have, however the last 3 weeks she has completely changed her behaviour. She has always been walked daily, I walk her on average 6 miles in a morning then give her another 2 miles at teatime and this is daily, also she has never chewed anything in the house from being with us for the 1st few week. The last 3 weeks she has changed her demenour completely, she is restless at night wandering the house and just general up and down, she was crated from the time we got her til she was 9 months old and has been brilliant since removing the cage upto now. She should be exhausted with the amount of exercise she gets, she plays with her toys (she has more than my kids) and naps through the day so cant understand why she is so restless in the night. She has also started chewing our wood door frames. Even when we are sat in the room with her she blatantly starts chewing the wood. I reprimand her and within an hour she is at the door frame again. Not the same 1 different 1's throughout the house. I cant even see crating her again would help as this isnt when Im out this is while im sat next to her. Im at my wits end with the sudden change and would appreciate any help or advice. I have emailed recently about obedience lessons which is my next option.

Many thanks

Hard to say for sure but could be any number of things. Young dogs do quite often through a bad spell when they hit adolescence so it could be that although it might be something else altogether.

I would bell the vet (if you're lucky enough to have one that's helpful and will give you some pointers without charging the earth) or give someone with specific experience a call to get their views.

Vet check first but my gut instinct is that she has hit adolescence! This is the age that the vast majority of dogs end up in rescue centres because of their awful behaviour!

As well as all the fantastic physical exercise you are giving her I would give her more mental stuff to do. Kong toys are brilliant if you stuff them with yummy things (google some recipes) and will keep a dog occupied while you relax. She may be chewing the wood to get a reaction. This works of course but even negative attention is better than none as far as a dog is concerned

If you feed dry food try putting it in an activity ball that she has to work at to get her meal. In summer I scatter my dogs food on the lawn for him to find as it makes meal times more challenging. In winter I use a treat ball.

Training, either obedience or tricks, is also very tiring for her brain.

Vary her walks so that she has different smells and stimulation.

Generally speaking try to ignore her bad behaviour (when it is safe to do so) and give her attention when she is lying quietly, or amusing herself generally. She will soon learn that stealing a tea towel gets her ignored but chewing her toys gets her lots of attention!

Adolescence is awful to go through. She will push to the limit but if you put in the time to train, train, train then she should come out the other side a wonderful dog.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back