The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Suggestion for collar and lead for my Border Terrier puppy.

catwoodhouse134

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello

I currently have a K9 harness for my border terrier puppy who is 10 months old.

The problem is when he sees a dog he gets so excited he's pulls on the harness and the velcro comes undone and he runs off.

I am looking for recommendations for a different type of collar and lead for my puppy to keep him safe.

Thankyou.

I'm not keen on the Julius K9 (I take it that's the kind you mean) because the strap that goes across the chest restricts free shoulder movement and can cause orthopaedic problems later. A harness with a strap across the chest is described as H shaped, I prefer Y shaped ones where the shoulder straps meet at one point on the chest and a strap goes between the forelegs. You might have more success with something like that. Houdini harnesses also have an extra strap to make them escape proof.

At the same time though, I'd strongly recommend working on you, not other dogs, being his focus. You want you to be the source of all fun and good things, you to be the centre of his universe, so he isn't interested in other dogs. Do you play with him on walks, reward him for regularly giving you his attention, do little training games etc?

I'm not keen on the Julius K9 (I take it that's the kind you mean) because the strap that goes across the chest restricts free shoulder movement and can cause orthopaedic problems later. A harness with a strap across the chest is described as H shaped, I prefer Y shaped ones where the shoulder straps meet at one point on the chest and a strap goes between the forelegs. You might have more success with something like that. Houdini harnesses also have an extra strap to make them escape proof.

At the same time though, I'd strongly recommend working on you, not other dogs, being his focus. You want you to be the source of all fun and good things, you to be the centre of his universe, so he isn't interested in other dogs. Do you play with him on walks, reward him for regularly giving you his attention, do little training games etc?
Hi Joanne

Yes we have Julius K9 harness.

Thanks for your advice and I will look into getting a Y shaped harness instead so that he can't escape or a Houdini harness. He was recently neutered so had to stay away from dogs for a while. I do play ball games with him in the park and do training games too so he is focused on me sometimes and not other dogs!

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Catherine

Hi Joanne

Yes we have Julius K9 harness.

Thanks for your advice and I will look into getting a Y shaped harness instead so that he can't escape or a Houdini harness. He was recently neutered so had to stay away from dogs for a while. I do play ball games with him in the park and do training games too so he is focused on me sometimes and not other dogs!

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Catherine
There is the “Perfect Fit” company that will supply the harness as three separate items. We’ve used ours with our whippet who can’t use a collar as she’s a proper Houdini.
Hope this helps.

IMG_1928.jpeg

I am also a Perfect Fit fan after going through 3 harnesses in a year. It is secure and durable and I feel august finds it comfortable to wear. Also offer brilliant customer service

Avoid those types of harness. They have become trendy over the last few years but they are not good for a dog's natural movement as they cut across the front of their body where. There is a great video showing this in action but I am not allowed to post links yet but will try to remember to come back when I can. It is striking and worrying evidence. Go for a Y / H harness like one by Red Dingo. Plenty of adjustment points on their harnesses too, which is perfect for a growing pup.

Avoid those types of harness. They have become trendy over the last few years but they are not good for a dog's natural movement as they cut across the front of their body where. There is a great video showing this in action but I am not allowed to post links yet but will try to remember to come back when I can. It is striking and worrying evidence. Go for a Y / H harness like one by Red Dingo. Plenty of adjustment points on their harnesses too, which is perfect for a growing pup.
“Avoid those types of harness” - which types?

Apologies for not being clear. When the poster said "I currently have a K9 harness" I assumed they meant a Julius K9 harness or similar that goes in a straight line across the dog's front.

we have jack russel x Australian terrier and we have a Italian greyhound collar because they are like the larger sight hound collars as in they cover more of the neck rather than a thin collar that cuts into the neck..

Attachments

• 20240306_000512.jpg
    20240306_000512.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 19

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back