The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Supplements for Older Dogs?

Rae

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Holly has made a fantastic recovery from her op :D (to have the plate removed from her leg, a cyst and a broken tooth removed) she's like a new woman, is running about when we are on a walk, and eating well.

I'm sooo pleased :D and its obvious she feels much better. :thumbsup:

However, she is still an old girl (10 ish) who has had a hard life bless her, and I wonder if there are any supplements I can give her to help her. She is fed a natural diet (AMP mix and chicken necks) and wears a bioflow (ofcourse :b ). I persuaded the vet to let me keep her on metacam, to ease any arthritis or other pain, and she did well on it, but last week she vomitted and went off her food - which I was warned she may do, so we've stopped it. She has also had Rimidyl in the past but the vet said that he didnt want her to have that long term. Is there any evidence suggesting it's unsafe long term?

Is there anything that I can give her as a supplement for general old age aches, pains and arthritus. (Arthritus not diagnosed but suspected, and both her front legs were broken and are now deformed, as is one of her feet as a result) , and for her becomming senile......(or possibly just increasingly selectively deaf and bloody minded:p )

Vet said he didnt think vivitonin would help her, and she wont eat the vetzyme flexible joint tablets that I got for her.

She needs to be fit and well because she is going to have to get a paper-round to pay off her vets bill :lol:

Rymadil on long term use will end up causing stomach problems, as will Metacam etc ........Our dear old bag Joanna is on a high strength Glucosamine tablet, cod liver oil and evening primrose tablets, and look at her (w00t) ........She also has 2 Rhus Tox aday ............ :thumbsup:

Glucosamine is a good supplement for ligament repair (both mine have it daily). Cod liver oil will help joint suppleness, but do get advice on dosage as tablets vary so much in strength and can have side effects. I think you are doing a great job with a good healthy diet and a sensible excercise regime. Supplements are frills and probably make us feel better rather than the dog.............Research has even proved vitamin C is fairly useless as a supplement in humans. Go with diet and excercise and spend money on pink collars and purple coats mate :thumbsup: :huggles:

Yes check the dosage as a dog digestive systems are much harder than ours ........Dogs digest things very quickly, so as my vet told me :thumbsup: ......you need a high strength of glucosamine etc ......as a dog stomach just pounds its contents and dosn't actually get the most out of it all :blink: .........Glucosamine is great for cartilage, ligaments and joints ......its wonderful stuff .......I personally don't think supplements are frills .......and after working with racing dogs for years its amazing what a bit of oil and brewers yeast can do to get a dog tip top ..........but everyone has different opinions .........

Last edited by a moderator:
Rae said:
Holly has made a fantastic recovery from her op  :D (to have the plate removed from her leg, a cyst and a broken tooth removed)  she's like a new woman, is running about when we are on a walk, and eating well.
I'm sooo pleased  :D   and its obvious she feels much better.  :thumbsup:

However, she is still an old girl (10 ish) who has had a hard life bless her, and I wonder if there are any supplements I can give her to help her.  She is fed a natural diet (AMP mix and chicken necks)  and wears a bioflow (ofcourse  :b ).  I persuaded the vet to let me keep her on metacam, to ease any arthritis or other pain, and she did well on it, but last week she vomitted and went off her food - which I was warned she may do, so we've stopped it.  She has also had Rimidyl in the past but the vet said that he didnt want her to have that long term.  Is there any evidence suggesting it's unsafe long term? 

Is there anything that I can give her as a supplement for general old age aches, pains and arthritus.  (Arthritus not diagnosed but suspected, and both her front legs were broken and are now deformed, as is one of her feet as a result) , and for her becomming senile......(or possibly just increasingly selectively deaf  and bloody minded:p )

Vet said he didnt think vivitonin would help her, and she wont eat the vetzyme flexible joint tablets that I got for her.

She needs to be fit and well because she is going to have to get a paper-round to pay off her vets bill  :lol:

Have a look at the Dorwest Herbs website.The herbs I have for Grace seem to work.!!

Have a look at the Dorwest Herbs website.The herbs I have for Grace seem to work.!!

Exactly what i was gonna say :thumbsup:

I have an Oldie from my very first litter, now 14 yrs. She doesn't have a tooth left in her head, her tongue permantley pokes out at you, she is as bald as a bat & the most antagonist little horror EVER.

She had a broken leg many years ago that never healed right BUT uses it as a crutch & still hops up & down the stairs at amazing speed.

I have tried many of the supplements from Dorwest & she is still going strong now & rules the roost! (w00t)

IMHO long term use (I mean weeks not months or years) of Rimidyl can be fatal, painfully so, causing heart,liver and kidney failure. I avoid any of these medications where possible. Alternative therapies are always worth trying - including such things as hydro therapy pools. I am sure there is a thread on K9 on the subject.

Bad teeth cause so many problems. My oldest (14/15) came to me only 7 months ago. She was a fussy eater, constantly had an upset stomach and was very snappy. Once we got her mouth sorted it was like having a different dog. She demands food and even has a Bonio with the others in the morning! She is wonderful in her senility!

My three 11/12 year olds (one of whom has been thro' the mill and has a bad leg ) object to beeing called 'OLDIES'. One still races, O.K. only straights, but she loves it!

I hope Holly continues to enjoy life for a long time to come.

Joanna said:
Glucosamine is a good supplement for ligament repair (both mine have it daily). Cod liver oil will help joint suppleness, but do get advice on dosage as tablets vary so much in strength and can have side effects. I think you are doing a great job with a good healthy diet and a sensible excercise regime. Supplements are frills and probably make us feel better rather than the dog.............Research has even proved vitamin C is fairly useless as a supplement in humans. Go with diet and excercise and spend money on pink collars and purple coats mate :thumbsup:   :huggles:
Just replying to myself :wacko:

I should have said, if you feed a good quality balanced diet, the essential nutrients will be contained within that and research has shown that many supplements are unnecassary and don't actually work.

However, Glucosamine (and Chondroitin) is an effective supplement for restoration and health of connective tissue in the joints. particularly in older dogs and humans.

The greyhound vet, Simon Gower advised 200mg daily for Archie. I buy mine from Healthspan (on-line) Glucosamine & Marine Chondroitin with vit C and give 1/2 tab daily.

Apologies if my first post was flippant and ambiguous :b

Here is quite an interesting take on supplements, though I'm sure we all have our own opinion on the subject.

Myths about Supplements

Thanks all :)

I'll PM Jo (Dorwest) to see what she suggests, we've already used some of their wonderfull products but she is too wise to take any of the tablets so I'll have to be more devious :b

Jean Dubar, I'm pleased your oldies are doing so well :D

Getting dogs to swallow tablets can be frustrating. So long as they are not the not to be handled kind I take a smallish bit of cheese and work it in my hand till it's like soft wax and wrap the tablet into it. Offer this on the palm of your hand - or if your dog catches throw it to them. I know people who are not as paranoid as me about giving their dogs chocolate and they give their dogs tablet pushed into the toffee of a slice of Twix or Mars bar. I am sure there are many variations on these themes. :luck:

Just out of interest what leve of Glucosamine should a dog receive as my mium wants to put her spaniel cross onto it judy is 31kilos.

Thanks

michelle

chelle123 said:
Just out of interest what leve of Glucosamine should a dog receive as my mium wants to put her spaniel cross onto it judy is 31kilos.
Thanks

michelle

My Archie is 31lbs and on 200mg, I would say double weight of dog would be 400 mg. I am not an expert though.

Jo

This is what I use,

Healthspan

Rae said:
Holly has made a fantastic recovery from her op  :D (to have the plate removed from her leg, a cyst and a broken tooth removed)  she's like a new woman, is running about when we are on a walk, and eating well.

However, she is still an old girl (10 ish) who has had a hard life bless her, and I wonder if there are any supplements I can give her to help her.  She is fed a natural diet (AMP mix and chicken necks)  and wears a bioflow (ofcourse  :b ).  I persuaded the vet to let me keep her on metacam, to ease any arthritis or other pain, and she did well on it, but last week she vomitted and went off her food - which I was warned she may do, so we've stopped it.  She has also had Rimidyl in the past but the vet said that he didnt want her to have that long term.  Is there any evidence suggesting it's unsafe long term? 

Ol'Rosie went on Rimadyl when she was just over 8 years old (HD caused arthritis in her hips) I tried alternatives but I couldn't wean her off Rimadyl she needed it to be able to move freely.  Ol'Rosie had Rimadyl everyday until she died at 17.5 years.  Metacam is said by many vets to be more gentle on the stomach but that some dogs develop stomach problems and there was a lot of evidence on the net about dogs dying from taking Rimadyl because of the stomach problems that it has caused.  It was mainly in the US and the dogs owners were sueing.

My previous vet managed to overdose the BHT on Rimadyl.  Which cause him stomach damage.  :(   When I subsequently had to give him Rimadyl I had to buffer his stomach before giving it to him and it worked.  Dogs treated with immune suppressent dosage of steriods have to have their stomachs buffered in this way so a vet should be able to sort that out for you.  (It's done with just an ant-acid liquid but you should make sure that your vet okay's it)

Is there anything that I can give her as a supplement for general old age aches, pains and arthritus.  (Arthritus not diagnosed but suspected, and both her front legs were broken and are now deformed, as is one of her feet as a result) , and for her becomming senile......(or possibly just increasingly selectively deaf  and bloody minded:p )

There is summat called Joint Formula from the Healthy Direct company which I know people have used with their elderly dogs and swear by it.  It contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM.  I've taken Devil's Claw in the past and found it very good.  I know that Lydia had an elderly dog who had unfortunately broken both of his front legs whilst he was still a puppy.  She tried everything with him and the only thing that worked to stop the pain was Cod Liver Oil.

Some friends have worked wonders with their elderly rescue lurcher.  They give Joint Formula and also he has a weekly treatment on an underwater treadmill. 

I think that the key to giving alternative treatments is to try things out and see what works.  It seems to be an individual thing.  Good luck.

She needs to be fit and well because she is going to have to get a paper-round to pay off her vets bill  :lol:

Hope that she enjoys her paper-round.  Will she be riding a bicyle to do it? (w00t)

My 12.5 yr oldie (and all my others) get 'Keeper's Mix' from Dorwest in their food once or twice a week. They get it mixed with tinned pilchards (one fish each). They get a little sunflower oil too occasionally. I've been told that corn oil is good too but that cod-liver oil was too strong.

We had a 15yr whippet to visit yesterday and she was a grand old lady. She made my oldie look like a supple youth and yet the 15yr old was trotting about quite happily.

:wub: Although the ancient sleeps in her mum's bed her face was a picture when she walked into our house and spied the line-up of SIX fluffy beds. She wandered round as if she couldn't decide which one to choose, tried a couple and then settled in the bright PINK one while my friend and I had a cup of tea. She is a darling oldie :wub: and is fed on Burns with no supplements. My oldie was delighted with her, showed her around and you could just see these old ladies having a good old natter together :- " :huggles:

Joanna said:
chelle123 said:
Thanks

michelle

My Archie is 31lbs and on 200mg, I would say double weight of dog would be 400 mg. I am not an expert though.

Jo

This is what I use,

Healthspan

thanks for that jo will let my mum know tonight she was too terrified to give her it without knowing safe levels

michelle

i no this is prob no use at all as you feed a raw diet but i thought it would be worth saying anyway, i feed my old girl (11) on arden grange senior, she is fantastic on it and iv been able to take her off the metacam! she is like a young dog again and even plays with my younger dogs!

chelle123 said:
Thanks

michelle

My Whippets are on 1000mg a day ........ :thumbsup: .......Well thats what my vet and Greyhound vet told me to put them on anyway .......I've never had any problems at this level :)

so glad she is feeling better.......... :huggles:

cant help with the other stuff though, but i bet someone on here will :D

BeeJay said:
Rae said:
Holly has made a fantastic recovery from her op   :D (to have the plate removed from her leg, a cyst and a broken tooth removed)  she's like a new woman, is running about when we are on a walk, and eating well.

Ol'Rosie went on Rimadyl when she was just over 8 years old (HD caused arthritis in her hips) I tried alternatives but I couldn't wean her off Rimadyl she needed it to be able to move freely.  Ol'Rosie had Rimadyl everyday until she died at 17.5 years.  Metacam is said by many vets to be more gentle on the stomach but that some dogs develop stomach problems and there was a lot of evidence on the net about dogs dying from taking Rimadyl because of the stomach problems that it has caused.  It was mainly in the US and the dogs owners were sueing.

My previous vet managed to overdose the BHT on Rimadyl.  Which cause him stomach damage.  :(   When I subsequently had to give him Rimadyl I had to buffer his stomach before giving it to him and it worked.  Dogs treated with immune suppressent dosage of steriods have to have their stomachs buffered in this way so a vet should be able to sort that out for you.  (It's done with just an ant-acid liquid but you should make sure that your vet okay's it)

There is summat called Joint Formula from the Healthy Direct company which I know people have used with their elderly dogs and swear by it.  It contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM.  I've taken Devil's Claw in the past and found it very good.   I know that Lydia had an elderly dog who had unfortunately broken both of his front legs whilst he was still a puppy.  She tried everything with him and the only thing that worked to stop the pain was Cod Liver Oil.

Some friends have worked wonders with their elderly rescue lurcher.  They give Joint Formula and also he has a weekly treatment on an underwater treadmill. 

I think that the key to giving alternative treatments is to try things out and see what works.  It seems to be an individual thing.  Good luck.

Hope that she enjoys her paper-round.  Will she be riding a bicyle to do it? (w00t)

That is interesting Barb. It is exactly the same make-up as the product I use.

Funnily enough, the prices for 360 are exactly the same, but it is cheaper to buy the smaller amounts from Healthspan.

Exactly the same stuff, and I can recommend it as Archie's toe has really improved (even those he isn't a Golden Oldie :b :huggles:

Jo

If anyone wants to read up on Rimadyl please look up the Pfizer website

www.pgaa.com/canine/health/rimadylwarning

I have lost a greatly loved pet this way so would advise great care in its use, especially to give on a full stomach.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back