The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Supplements for Older Dogs?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
chelle123 said:
Just out of interest what leve of Glucosamine should a dog receive as my mium wants to put her spaniel cross onto it judy is 31kilos.
Thanks

michelle

The dosage rate for Glucosamine is 50mg per kg bodyweight per day and Chondroitin at 40mg per kg bodyweight. Chondroitin is not necessary but speeds up the efficacy of the Glucosamine as does MSM. This dosage rate is for a maintenance level but a loading dose should be given for the first 4 - 6 weeks of taking Glucosamine of double the above.

It is not an instant remedy, it needs to build up hence why you need a loading dose and then maintenance dosing for at least 6 months - 1 year for a specific injury but can be used permanently without any adverse effects. Conversely, if you stop giving it and a soft tissue injury has not healed the dog will not instantly show signs of lameness, it will gradually return over a month probably. If the injury has healed the dog will remain sound obviously!!

For arthritic problems I use the Healthspan combination tablet of Glucosamine + Omega 3

Holly says thanks for the replies, and that she wont use a bike Barbara but she may learn to skateboard like Leia & Vader. :teehee: (Who can skateboard honest!)

A twist to the tale- I stopped using the metacam as Holly was sick last Thursday on the way back from Puppy night (she sits on the front passenger seat so I'm gratefull that she pointed it away from me :x ) However, last night she was sick again :( Im wondering now if it was because she had an empty stomach as they had their tea later than normal, and hoping that the metacam hasnt damaged her stomach. :luck:

When Tally's stomach was damaged he couldn't even cope with water he just brought it up. There were no days of being okay between bouts. From the moment that it happened he was being sick if he drank water.

In his case it settled down fast (obviously or he'd be dead) and his intolerance to water only lasted a day or so. However I did have to syringe fluids into him for several days and so he was only having very small amounts every 20-30 mins. Don't know if that was caused by the rimadyl overdose or his illness.

BTW, in case people are wondering, the vet did say that he'd been damaged by being over prescribed it's not just me thinking that. :thumbsup:

Got any photos of your dogs skateboarding Rae? I can't believe that Holly isn't up for trying to learn to ride a bike. I always thought that she was a tough old lady and up for anything. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back