The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Surgery: questions to ask

Sof2023

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello,

Waffle is going to have a surgery on Monday in order to remove some potential grass seeds responsible for his paw injury. The vet explains me briefly how the day would look like:
- I need to bring Waffle the morning and left him there (i cannot stay with him until they sedate him)
- I understand he will be staying in a kennel until it is his time to have the surgery
- The vet explained me how they will sedate him and how they will wake him up
- Then I will pick him up when he is awake
- The recovery process was also explained to me

The veterinary surgery practice looks fine and they have rather good reviews. My interactions with them have been positive so I have faith they will do a good job.

My experience, with doctors for humans, is that they sometimes look better after you if you ask the good questions, show that you are picky and knowledgeable. With that in mind, would anyone have some good smart questions to ask when I leave Waffle for his surgery?

What to expect in terms of toileting - anaesthetics can cause constipation. Also, what should you give him (and how much) if he is constipated. I tend to give sardines, because they are easier to store than things like pumpkin.

Maybe also what to expect the wound to look like, and when to get concerned (e.g. if it looks red/inflamed), if this hasn't been made clear.

Unless Waffle is absolutely find with nail clipping, teeth examination, etc., this can be a good opportunity to get these done - it's so much easier to check a dog's teeth when they're out for the count!

I hope the op goes well.

teeth examination, etc., this can be a good opportunity to get these done
Our vet won't do teeth while under anaesthetic for surgery, apparently there's a risk of bacteria from the teeth getting into the bloodstream and that can cause problems in the surgery. They will do it if the dog is under anaesthetic for things like x-rays though. And nail clipping doesn't present any issues.

Our vet won't do teeth while under anaesthetic for surgery, apparently there's a risk of bacteria from the teeth getting into the bloodstream and that can cause problems in the surgery. They will do it if the dog is under anaesthetic for things like x-rays though. And nail clipping doesn't present any issues.

That's interesting - I think Jasper only had sedation for his last one or two procedures, so it was OK to do his teeth.

Ask about his care during and after surgery whilst he's there. What monitoring do they do during the surgery to ensure he's OK? When Jimmy had surgery we had the option to pay for something extra in terms of monitoring but I can't remember what, we paid it anyway. Perhaps it was something to do with blood, blood function or the like?

Then ask about how he will be looked after immediately after surgery. How often will he be observed and by whom? Will he be fed?

It's a stressful time for you and Waffle, no doubt about that, but remember that vets see this stuff often and will have it all buttoned down and it'll run like clockwork. Before you know it, he'll be home and right as rain!

All v good afvice - the only additional thing I ask is what sedative they intend to use. Personally, I won't allow my dogs to be give acetylpromazine (ACP) and I always request tramadol (ie valium).
The reason is that ACP has unpleasant side effects on dogs - and valium is cheaper too. Not sure whether vets even use ACP these days, but I would want to avoid that, unless your vet has a good reason for using it.
No, they won't do his teeth if there are open wounds or potentially sepsis, especially if it's a young dog who can come back safely for dental work at a later date.
Good luck! Grass seeds are a real nightmare aren't they, and they seem to come earlier every year. Come back and tell us how Waffle gets on.

Thanks everyone, surgery went well. They will remove the bandage tomorrow to see how the healing is going.
And it was indeed a grass seed which caused all this problem ... I was already paying attention to grass seed before but as we go to the park every day and play the ball on top of that, it is tricky.

I did ask nearly all the questions everyone suggested, it was very helpful.

All v good afvice - the only additional thing I ask is what sedative they intend to use. Personally, I won't allow my dogs to be give acetylpromazine (ACP) and I always request tramadol (ie valium).
The reason is that ACP has unpleasant side effects on dogs - and valium is cheaper too.

Do you mind me asking about the type of side effects it has?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mind me asking about the type of side effects it has?
No, not at all. It causes hallucinations and can.cause temporary paralysis, which can trigger great fear and panic , as you can imagine. It also is advised against for dogs with liver problems. When I wasva vet nurse, the dosage was really unreliable - some dogs it would knock them out cold (to the point of having to revive them with adrenaline injection) and others it seemed to have very little effect.

Thanks everyone, surgery went well. They will remove the bandage tomorrow to see how the healing is going.
And it was indeed a grass seed which caused all this problem ... I was already paying attention to grass seed before but as we go to the park every day and play the ball on top of that, it is tricky.

I did ask nearly all the questions everyone suggested, it was very helpful.
Great so pleased for you and Waffle!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back