The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Switching my 6mth old puppy to raw food diet - advice please

McSmurphy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

Firstly apologies if this should be in the diet and health section.

I'm really wanting to switch my 6mth old Labrador/cocker cross to raw food but need some advice as I'm a first time dog owner who really has no clue about the raw diet.

I have read quite a bit but really need to be able to pick someone's brains as it were :thumbsup:

Do I make a straight switch or go gradual?

How much and how often?

What do I feed and how do I make it balanced?

Do I need to add veg and supplements?

Help please!

I don't know much about it but I do know I don't want to feed my lil pup kibble anymore.

All advice and input greatly appreciated :)

Hello, congratulations on your selection of the best and most natural food to feed to your puppy

I have fed raw on/off for 40 years, whenever I was able to get the product, I most certainly never thought of introducing it slowly, it was just fed when available it never caused any tummy upsets when doing it this way .

Now with the help of the internet and pet stores with freezers and game keeper/stalker friends, 2 good butchers shops and road kills I have had permenant access to raw products for many years.

My last purchased puppy I changed over to raw from kibble in 2 days, the change in her condition was noticible in just a few days and no upset tummy!

You will find quiet a few products of frozen "complete" meals," WolfTucker" and "Natures menu" are two of the best but there are others.

If you wish to purchase just meat and bone and offal products, vary everything, weekly or daily. Vary your type of meats, include gristle and fats, green tripe is also full of goodness, use raw bones, rabbit, chicken, phesant fed raw with bone in are fine. If it is part of an animal product it can be used, anything and everything.

Raw or very lightly steamed assorted veg can be used a part of the diet or just belley fillers, our dogs just love their fruits too. Fruiit and veg can be used as anytime treats.

A raw diet with plenty of good variety will ballance itself over a course of a few weeks. EASY !

If you are not completely sure about how ballanced your diet is and want peace of mind a fantastic suppliment product is "Smart Barf"

My cockers are given 1/2 lb each (summertime) per day depending on the time of year and whether they are working or not. Their body condition is fantastic with good waistlines, no scurfy coats, good teeth, small/firm easy to pick up poos.

Too many feeding guidelines can be very confusing, all of our dogs even within a breed type come in different shapes and sizes!

I just use my own common sense when feeding and adjust ammounts acording to body shapes and weight of each individual dog. Putting on weight, give less. Losing weight, give more.

With regards to change over a couple of days should be plenty of time! mix 50/50 if you wish or introduce whole individual meals.

Best wishes.

Thank you.

I have been wanting to raw feed for a while but I think I'm a little scared of getting it wrong tbh.

I did start by thinking that it would be mega expensive to raw feed but having read MANY things and spoken to a few owners (yes I'm the annoying person in the park asking all sorts of questions lol) my opinion has changed.

Tbh it would cost no more than the mid price range kibble I currently feed and would no doubt be better for him and of course more enjoyable.

Supplys shall be bought shortly, I'm excited to see him eating the way nature intended.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back