The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Swollen Nipples After 1st Season?

tinker*

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Ive heard that a few non peds nipples swell after being in heat.

my lurcher (mainly non ped whip/grey) has just had her first season and has swollen nipples, they are pink and even swelling under the skin now. Im worried :(

Im 100% certain she hasnt been near a entire male (we had one of our dogs castrated 3 months ago and was assured he would be fine and "clear" now - not that we saw him showing her interest anyhow) but she did spend 3 days in kennels with her sister when we had a weekend away, but the kennel is a good small family kennels that we trust so im certain they havnt let her come into contact with a male.

Is she having a phantom?

any one else experienced this?

Thanks

Quite a lot of bitches will develop milk after a season, regardless of the breed. Generally peaking 5-6 weeks post season but no hard rule, we've just had a 2 yr old bitch have her first season and she' s developed boobs straight away. It's not much of an issue unless you race ( some bitches perform below par during this time but again not all bitches are the same)

Phantoms tend to be a bigger issue as hormones are up the wall and mimicking a pregnant state. Symptoms can be severe with milk production, enlarged abdomen and the bitch can become stressed trying to nurse toys etc. Apparently, raspberry leaf tablets are helpful for phantoms but in my own experiences I feel bitches suffering from the condition have recovered best by distracting them from their maternal urges.

If you do have strong suspicions of a pregnancy then vets can perform a scan apparently more accurate than performing blood tests ( for obvious reasons lol!)

Quite a lot of bitches will develop milk after a season, regardless of the breed. Generally peaking 5-6 weeks post season but no hard rule, we've just had a 2 yr old bitch have her first season and she' s developed boobs straight away. It's not much of an issue unless you race ( some bitches perform below par during this time but again not all bitches are the same) Phantoms tend to be a bigger issue as hormones are up the wall and mimicking a pregnant state. Symptoms can be severe with milk production, enlarged abdomen and the bitch can become stressed trying to nurse toys etc. Apparently, raspberry leaf tablets are helpful for phantoms but in my own experiences I feel bitches suffering from the condition have recovered best by distracting them from their maternal urges.

If you do have strong suspicions of a pregnancy then vets can perform a scan apparently more accurate than performing blood tests ( for obvious reasons lol!)
I WOULD SAY THE SAME BUT COULD NOT HAVE EXPLAINED IT AS WELL LOL

GARY

:luck:

yep perfectly normal, Maia had her 1st season at the beginning of June and only now are her boobies going down, you will find that both her vulva and nipples will never go back to their pre-season state but they will stop being swollen :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

my lurcher (mainly non ped whip/grey) has just had her first season and has swollen nipples, they are pink and even swelling under the skin now. Im worried :(

Im 100% certain she hasnt been near a entire male (we had one of our dogs castrated 3 months ago and was assured he would be fine and "clear" now - not that we saw him showing her interest anyhow) but she did spend 3 days in kennels with her sister when we had a weekend away, but the kennel is a good small family kennels that we trust so im certain they havnt let her come into contact with a male.

Is she having a phantom?

Thanks

Most of my "girls" have some swelling after their first season. It tends to look as if there are little discs under the skin around the nipple. This is nothing to worry about as it is the partial inflamation of the milk ducts. It causes them no problems, unless you allow them to run around, in which case, you will find that they will bruise all over their underbelly. My youngster, Holly (Fairweather Friend), was almost 18 months when she had her first season, and she developed the "discs" and she bruised herself quite badly underneath. I just stopped her running around the garden and after a few weeks she was fine. None of them ever have the problem again when they come into season. So just be patient and it will resolve itself. You cant rush nature. LOL

Is she having a phantom?

Thanks

Most of my "girls" have some swelling after their first season. It tends to look as if there are little discs under the skin around the nipple. This is nothing to worry about as it is the partial inflamation of the milk ducts. It causes them no problems, unless you allow them to run around, in which case, you will find that they will bruise all over their underbelly. My youngster, Holly (Fairweather Friend), was almost 18 months when she had her first season, and she developed the "discs" and she bruised herself quite badly underneath. I just stopped her running around the garden and after a few weeks she was fine. None of them ever have the problem again when they come into season. So just be patient and it will resolve itself. You cant rush nature. LOL

a phew :)

her litter sister has just come out of season too but shes fine. We used to have a norfolk terrier who used to have a phantom and she was hormonal but Spry hasnt been at all, just the bigger nips! lol

the little disks is just how she looks, and they dont seem to bother her.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back