The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Taking dog on holiday with us

terry004

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,
we are thinking of taking our dog with us on a 6 week stay in Spain, is this a good idea or bad idea. Has anyone done this and can you give me advice?

I have, you may find this useful.

Pet travel scheme - travel between the UK and the EU

Also, you will need to be very aware of temperatures, and whatever parasite control you use here may not protect against things like sandflies and mosquitoes, so time your protection well and use something like Advantix. If you are going in spring, you also need to watch out for processionary pine caterpillars which are lethal for dogs.

Another thing to consider as well as above, is what kind of holiday you're wanting and if it will also suit the needs of your dog baring in mind their age, breed, temperament etc...and of course if they actually travel well!

I have, you may find this useful.

Pet travel scheme - travel between the UK and the EU

Also, you will need to be very aware of temperatures, and whatever parasite control you use here may not protect against things like sandflies and mosquitoes, so time your protection well and use something like Advantix. If you are going in spring, you also need to watch out for processionary pine caterpillars which are lethal for dogs.
Hi, where did you travel too, and what breed of dog do you have? thanks for the info.

Hi, where did you travel too, and what breed of dog do you have? thanks for the info.
I’ve been several places, including tourist coastal areas and quiet, rural towns. My dog is a cross between a Jack Russell and a toilet brush, but he is a small dog, 8 kilos if that helps.

I’ve been several places, including tourist coastal areas and quiet, rural towns. My dog is a cross between a Jack Russell and a toilet brush, but he is a small dog, 8 kilos if that helps.

Hi Joanne, my dog weighs 10kg what airline did you use and is it expensive? I would prefer if he was kept in the hold on a plane as he woulden't stop whining in a cabin situation.

That makes it very different. We drove.

As far as I know, there are no companies who fly out of the UK that allow dogs in the cabin anyway, and he would be too big too.

That makes it very different. We drove.

As far as I know, there are no companies who fly out of the UK that allow dogs in the cabin anyway, and he would be too big too.
Do you have to fly? The Portsmouth to Bilbao run (Brittany Ferries) has a reliable reputation. To which part of Spain are you going?

Do you have to fly? The Portsmouth to Bilbao run (Brittany Ferries) has a reliable reputation. To which part of Spain are you going?
It is virtually impossible to get a pet cabin on that run.

But if the OP could consider driving, depending on where they are starting, they could get a ferry to Ireland, then there's a ferry from Rosslare to Santander with pet cabins that are easier to get.

Or, drive through France.

Reactions: RGC
Indeed, I appreciate that places on Brittany Ferries are like gold. Driving through France down to Spain has its appeal. I find that the French are more tolerant than the Brits re dogs in restaurants. Now there’s an idea, terry004, especially if you have the time. I’m presuming that one doesn’t have to book ages in advance on a Channel crossing. Bon voyage.

As you've asked for opinions I'd suggest leaving your dog at home and hiring a house/pet sitter. Failing that, boarding kennels, but let him stay for half a day, then overnight, first, so he gets the idea of you coming back for him.

All sorts of unpleasantnesses can occur with a dog travelling in a crate in an aircraft hold, especially if the flight is delayed. Even if everything goes to schedule, it's terrifying for the dog. If he's tranquillised, it isn't so great either.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back