The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Tartar On Dog Teeth

welshphil

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hiya, i'm after a bit of advice please. My lurchers are on the BARF diet which includes plenty of raw bones and generaay their teeth are very clean, however I have noticed a build up of tarter on their top incisors right next to the gumline. How can I get rid of this other than a trip to the vets.

Any help would be much appreciated

Phil

good old lamb rib bones should sort that , but use your thumb nail gently and get it off that way , i thought a couple of my dogs had mucky teeth but it wasnt it was were they had chipped bits of tooth off and not tartar ;)

Im not 100% sure if this works, but i seen it being done on tv :b Use a dry wash cloth wrap it round your finger, and rub in around the tooth.

we have a dental tooth clearn its like our dentist use and aslong as your dogs easy going you can just scrap the tarter off then give them a good drushing i got mine of ebay and for dogs

I used to use diluted hydrogen peroxide to shift the build up. I put it on the teeth with either a cloth or a cotton bud. It softens it up and then you can pick at it with whatever you like.

I bought a dental descaler tool off ebay for about 3 quid and just gently scrape the tartar off once a week before I scrub their teeth with a tooth brush.

I use a dental scraper too.Got my from www.Greyhoundmegastore.co.uk

Does the trick.

Amandax

Wish I had read this before. One of my dogs had quite severe tartar build up on her back molars and I have just paid over £100 to have her anaesthetised and cleaned even though I brush her teeth regularly. Incidentally, once this has been done by the vet, the dogs teeth are prone to tartar build up much more quickly than before.

Being a canine beautician, best thing is a metal de scaler as already mentioned, to remove the cement like tartar (teeth must be brushed afterwards) then at LEAST weekly brushing with old kiddies toothbrush to prevent it coming back again. Why spend hundreds at the vet and a risky anaesthetic (it will come back again anyway unless you keep brushing them) why not pop to your local grooming salon instead for a fraction of the cost if you daren't have a go yourself. You don't have to own a pink Poodle to visit your local salon :b Word of warning even the sweetest natured dog can react nasty to teeth being de scaled (also some of the nastiest dogs i groom allow me to scrape their teeth!!! :wacko: )

Hi, I agree about using a metal descaler, but have to do it gently as they are very sharp and if you are very near the gum margin and the dog suddenly moves, hence a nervy animal next time. I have also had some success with a product called plaqueoff. Only use though if you havent got a dog that has thyroid problems which it does say on the tub. Can get that from most on line animal pharmicists like petmeds, vet medic but shop around as price varys from about £6-10. Its given regularly on the food and prevents the buildup of tartar.

Hi

My whippets get 3 Hills T/D for breakfast and 1 at supper instesd of their shapes. These were recommended by the vet. They are about twice the price af shapes but they work. Even my 12 year old has great teeth now. It is a complete diet but I find that the buscuits are really fattening for my whippets which is why I feed them this way. They also get a hide chew once a week and a large meaty bone from time to time.

One of the best prices for these is on www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk I have 4 whippets and the 10kg bag lasts for months. The large bite biscuits work best. Small bite ones are just for toy dogs.

Hiya, i'm after a bit of advice please. My lurchers are on the BARF diet which includes plenty of raw bones and generaay their teeth are very clean, however I have noticed a build up of tarter on their top incisors right next to the gumline. How can I get rid of this other than a trip to the vets.
Any help would be much appreciated

Phil
Just Use A Dental Scraper And Brush The Teeth After

And A Denta Stick Once A Day :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back