The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Teeth

gracie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Any one any idas about keeping dogs teeth clean and breath fresh - we never have had much of a problem before as we clean the dogs teeth a couplke of times a week but poor old Ria teeth are a nightmare, She has already had to have one out at only 5 years old and dispite trying different foods, toothpaste and gimmick they seem to be getting worse. Any ideas how to combat this really would be apreciated or am I'm the only one with this problem,

June Mc

Raw bones once or twice a week really do help, some dogs do seem prone to tartar and feeding raw food can be the solution, milk is a nono as it sticks to teeth.

gracie said:
Any one any idas about keeping dogs teeth clean and breath fresh - we never have had much of a problem before as we clean the dogs teeth a couplke of times a week but poor old Ria teeth are a nightmare,  She has already had to have one out at only 5 years old and dispite trying different foods, toothpaste and gimmick they seem to be getting worse.  Any ideas how to combat this really would be apreciated or am I'm the only one with this problem,June Mc

Get the appropriate toothpaste from the vet, then get in there :lol:

The tooth pastes etc ......are a rip off IMO :- " .......My lot have raw chicken wings most days (but not on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday morning if they are racing) .......I also crush a few brewers yeast tablets daily on to their food "if" their teeth are starting to get a bit of tartar on them as the live enzymes in the yeast break down tartar (that's why the tabs have to be crushed as the powder has more chance of staying on the teeth/gum line) ....... Joanna is over 12 years old and though her teeth are stained and a few years ago I gave them a scrape ......she has a full set of perfect teeth ......The rest of my gang ranging from 9 years to 6 months teeth are pure white and sparkling :D

As for bad breath charcoal powder added daily to their food works wonders ;)

I'm not saying raw bones don't work but I find it necessary to clean my dogs teeth daily.

Beau had appalling teeth when I got him at 13 months old. He is now seven and a half and his teeth are in good condition. Initially I used the roast dinner toothpaste from Dorwest Herbs but recently I have taken to using the tea tree powder from The Animal Health Company. I prefer it because I can just make a small amount up as I need it.

Al's teeth are the ones that need that extra effort. His back molars seem to get messy quite easily so needs that daily brush to keep them sparkily white. Neither of my dogs have suffered with dog breath so I can only assume that I am doing something right.

I also use rawhide chews although Albus is not really one for chewing that much. :cheers:

hi

if you dont give your dogs commercial dog food - and that includes the chew sticks which claim to clean teeth as these will only work on clean teeth to prevent tartar buildup not the other way around - then with feeding a raw food diet including fruit and vegetables and fish and a good regular supply of raw bones then you will notice the difference in your dogs teeth, gums and breath in general.

there are lots suppliers of minced raw meats around now and some even deliver.

i tracked down my local abbatoir which has a supplier of frozed minced meats in 1lb bags delivered to him on a weekly basis - a mix of tripe with beef/chicken/lamb and this mixed with pureed vegies or soups added or sardines,gives a great balanced meal for super fit and healthy dogs with shiny coats, boundless energy.

you will notice smaller stools which are less smelly because they are not loaded with bulk, colours and preservatives - less to clean up and easier on the dogs digestive system.

ask any of my dogs - they all love their food - from my tiny poodle ( yes a normally fussy breed she wolfs (!) down smelly tripe ), the whippets and on to the big borzois.

and some may say the most pleasing benefit is that its cheaper than other commercial ways of feeding and the variety is endless.

you are building up your dogs immune system with real food much better than constituted contrued ingredients - i know i would feel slow and sluggish if i ate processed foods all of my life.

how we feed our dogs can effect their behaviour in so many ways and people do not realise it.

i hope some of this may help you even in a small way

abbie

I de-scale Gelert's teeth about twice a year using a dental scraper and since he's decided he likes rawhide chews again (since the puppy arrived :- " ) the build up of tartar has been much slower. He's very good about having it done though, even on the back teeth.

Many thanksfor all you tips I do use toothpasgte from the vet (not a lot of use) also raw bones will try some of the other tips where do you get brewers yeast tablets from have had them on order for 3 months from opur local chemist but have not appeared yet. Do you think certain prepared food make the breath smell worse I have found ones with a lot of fish in it make the breath worse. I do feed meat with a low protein all in one but have as I no access to cheap meat so cut them down to just 4 oz a day. As I say have not really had this problem before and we have had hounds for over 30 years am just wondering if its the change over to a mainly prepared food that is caussing the problem can not arrange to have food delivered as we only have 2 whippets and have not got the space to bulk buy, and living in a small town do not have3a pet shop which sells frozen blocks.

Strike Whippets said:
.......I also crush a few brewers yeast tablets daily on to their food "if" their teeth are starting to get a bit of tartar on them as the live enzymes in the yeast break down tartar (that's why the tabs have to be crushed as the powder has more chance of staying on the teeth/gum line)
Thats an interesting idea. Think I'll give it a go. :thumbsup:

gracie said:
Any one any idas about keeping dogs teeth clean and breath fresh - we never have had much of a problem before as we clean the dogs teeth a couplke of times a week but poor old Ria teeth are a nightmare,  She has already had to have one out at only 5 years old and dispite trying different foods, toothpaste and gimmick they seem to be getting worse.  Any ideas how to combat this really would be apreciated or am I'm the only one with this problem,June Mc

hello June,

Have you tried Turkey Necks , if you can manage to get hold of some they are great for cleaning teeth. Make sure they are raw not cooked. They hold together real good. I give mine Chichen wings raw and they do the cleaning with no need to resort to toothpaste at all.

Hope this helps

Mike

Judy said:
Strike Whippets said:
.......I also crush a few brewers yeast tablets daily on to their food "if" their teeth are starting to get a bit of tartar on them as the live enzymes in the yeast break down tartar (that's why the tabs have to be crushed as the powder has more chance of staying on the teeth/gum line)

I use debittered brewers yeast powder bought from Holland and Barrets. Also cotton wool rubbed over the teeth takes off a lot of the softer plaque so I've been told. I must remember to try doing it :b . Several racers have tried cotton wool and say that it works better than brushing. :thumbsup:

Gosh what a lot of helpful replies and from some people new to me - have managed to source some brewers yeast so am going to give it a try not certain about the chicken wings and turkey necks as I was always told it was a no no to feed raw chicken to dogs in case they get salmonella if this is not the case I stand corrected. Poor Ria will now have all these new remedies tried out on her I'll let you know what works.

June Mc

BeeJay said:
Judy said:
Strike Whippets said:

I use debittered brewers yeast powder bought from Holland and Barrets. Also cotton wool rubbed over the teeth takes off a lot of the softer plaque so I've been told. I must remember to try doing it :b . Several racers have tried cotton wool and say that it works better than brushing. :thumbsup:

Gosh, I wasn't aware it was bitter :blink: How much do you give Barbara & do you do it every day. What about you Hanna, how many tablets and how often?

I'm very scientific Judy. :) I give a pinch with their morning feed.

(BTW I ought to come clean and say that it was Hannah that suggested it to me as well).

Because I had a few problems with feeding chicken wings to my dogs Sandra suggested a raw carrot. Which most of my dogs love but their poos can be ........... shall we say rather orange (w00t) the next day expecially if they have (nick) more than one.

gracie said:

Hi There,

have you tried Turkey Knecks ?. I give mine them and also Raw Chicken wings. These clean the teeth well. Do not use cooked bones

Mike

gracie said:
Gosh what a lot of helpful replies and from some people new to me - have managed to source some brewers yeast so am going to give it a try not certain about the chicken wings and turkey necks as I was always told it was a no no to feed raw chicken to dogs in case they get salmonella if this is not the case I stand corrected. Poor Ria will now have all these new remedies tried out on her I'll let you know what works.June Mc

Hi June,

Well I have been breeding dogs both Whippets and Alsatians for the last well since I was a lad. I have a Shepherd puppy right now and she gets Raw Chicken legs and wings everyday, and has done since she was about 3 weeks old. I have never ever had any problems at all and the bone is natural calcium for good bone and conformation.

Mike

Judy said:
BeeJay said:
Judy said:
Strike Whippets said:

Gosh, I wasn't aware it was bitter :blink: How much do you give Barbara & do you do it every day. What about you Hanna, how many tablets and how often?

I crush 2-3 tablets on their food daily if needed ...... :thumbsup:

Thanks Barbara & Hannah. So I should give a 2-3 tablet sized pinch every day then :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Also cotton wool rubbed over the teeth takes off a lot of the softer plaque so I've been told.  I must remember to try doing it :b .  Several racers have tried cotton wool and say that it works better than brushing. :thumbsup:
I think that you meant WIRE wool right? :lol:

And where the heck do you go to find turkey necks? (anyone suggesting I look in the mirror gets a 2 yard penalty at next years Harvel Open!)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back