The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Terrierist!

Timotay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello!
I am an admirer of all working dogs, especially terriers. Hope to gain enjoyment from the site and some knowledge also.

Hello!
I am an admirer of all working dogs, especially terriers. Hope to gain enjoyment from the site and some knowledge also.
Hello there and welcom. Are only a admirer or have you got a dog of your own as well...what sort?

Thanks for welcomes. I have had Irish Terriers for twenty years now. Lovely dogs, calm inside the house and active outside.
OOOOOOOHHHHH....I LOVE Irish terriers. I've been tempted with one for many times but for some reason I always ended up with working lakies...mainly because they are tad smaller.

My lurcher has Irish terrier in him, and I blame all his naughty bits on the IT! But then he needs some excuse...

My lurcher has Irish terrier in him, and I blame all his naughty bits on the IT! But then he needs some excuse...
But I've seen the photos of him being 'calm inside'...positively horizontal...so that too is more of IT trait :D

OOOOOOOHHHHH....I LOVE Irish terriers. I've been tempted with one for many times but for some reason I always ended up with working lakies...mainly because they are tad smaller.
Interesting point. I believe the working Lakeland had infusions of IT blood in the past. The red, hard coated ones certainly look like small Irish. I think a cross between the two could be quite something; would help keep the size down in Irish as (like many terriers) they are getting too big. Picture is of a working lakeland, which I hope illustrates the similarities!
lakelands 001.jpg
lakelands 001.jpg

Interesting point. I believe the working Lakeland had infusions of IT blood in the past. The red, hard coated ones certainly look like small Irish. I think a cross between the two could be quite something; would help keep the size down in Irish as (like many terriers) they are getting too big. Picture is of a working lakeland, which I hope illustrates the similarities!View attachment 111979202 View attachment 111979202
Yep...looks familiar.
This one is my current one and she has just been visiting a stud..one that is slightly smaller than her. My girl is about as tall as lakies come. She still ain't 'huge' but I don't wish to produce much larger dogs neither.
DSC_0118 (2).JPG

I've had one similar to your photo as well...she had very 'IT' kind of coat and was close to that size. So I've always thought there is chance her being Lakie with bit of IT.
Scan.jpg

Last edited:
Yep...looks familiar.
This one is my current one and she has just been visiting a stud..one that is slightly smaller than her. My girl is about as tall as lakies come. She still ain't 'huge' but I don't wish to produce much larger dogs neither. View attachment 111979203
I've had one similar to your photo as well...she had very 'IT' kind of coat and was close to that size. So I've always thought there is chance her being Lakie with bit of IT.
View attachment 111979204
Both very smart dogs! How do you find them for temperament?

Both very smart dogs! How do you find them for temperament?
AH....well the current one is typical working lakie. She is very calm and laid back in house (other than when she is playing of course)..very nice and gentle, but open the door and she is instantly 'on the job'. It is like flick of a switch and she is all about looking for something to hunt or to spot something interesting. She does dig but now that she has grown up, it ain't obsessive thing anymore....but show her a rat hole and 'obsessive' ain't strong enough word :D
As for the 'rougher' looking one....now she had very different start for the life for being a farm dog and being bought up with some working collies. She didn't have that typical terrier behaviour. Brilliant guard dog, didn't get on with other dogs at all and would not hunt/attack my chickens...she would help to heard them back into pen!! She wasn't nasty towards humans but there was something about her that people would not readily approach her....one woman's working dog.
Usually my lakies have all been friendly, easy going sort with high prey drive...just as they should be too.
How about your IT? Have you had many of them?

Last edited:
AH....well the current one is typical working lakie. She is very calm and laid back in house (other than when she is playing of course)..very nice and gentle, but open the door and she is instantly 'on the job'. It is like flick of a switch and she is all about looking for something to hunt or to spot something interesting. She does dig but now that she has grown up, it ain't obsessive thing anymore....but show her a rat hole and 'obsessive' ain't strong enough word :D
As for the 'rougher' looking one....now she had very different start for the life for being a farm dog and being bought up with some working collies. She didn't have that typical terrier behaviour. Brilliant guard dog, didn't get on with other dogs at all and would not hunt/attack my chickens...she would help to heard them back into pen!! She wasn't nasty towards humans but there was something about her that people would not readily approach her....one woman's working dog.
Usually my lakies have all been friendly, easy going sort with high prey drive...just as they should be too.
How about your IT? Have you had many of them?
Well I have bred three generations, hopefully four soon. Always kept bitches, which I find more amenable. Each one has been a keen hunter, but varied slightly in gameness. My current one is very athletic with bags of stamina but not as deadly as her mother.

I do like the look of the Irish. We've had working terriers too, but not any more - getting too old for all the excitement!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back