The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Bakewell Show.....a Bit Of A Wash Out,

Nicola

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I took a well earned day off work to go to the annual Bakewell Show today.

Unfortunately it tipped it down most of the morning, so it wasn't such a pleasant a day out as it normally is. Still, I enjoyed it all the same.

I managed to watch the whippets being shown, despite the fact there wasn't enough room to swing a cat in the tent. :unsure: Couldn't help noticing a role reversal in that that last year's steward was this year's judge and last year's judge was this year's steward. :)

Here's a piccie of the winners of the open class. The winner also won best of breed.

P1260078.jpg

Here's some piccies of a very whippet like breed :wub: ...they had the fortune of better weather and shown in the rings outside...

P1260081.jpg

..and another....
P1260082.jpg

..and here are some of the goodies I bought home. Must be the most expensive way of buying Bakewell pudding.....and it looks like it's salami in my sarnies for the next month or so. I also fell for the car polish sales patter......just hope the OH falls for it t :- " o. And of course I couldn't come home without visiting the horticultural tent. What a fab day. :teehee:

P1260088.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what a table of goodies :p , lovely to see some piccies of Bedlingtons - I sooooooo want one :- "

Hello Nicola. Are Bakewell puddings the same as what we called Bakewell tarts many, many years ago? Enjoy them. Stephen

Bakewell puddings are unique...and supposedly a secret recipe. I've only ever seen them made and sold in Bakewell. Bakewell tarts are those white topped, jam sponges cakes made by Mr Kipling. They are very different. Thanks...we've scoffed half of it already. :b

I think this is correct. :)

Nicola said:
Bakewell puddings are unique...and supposedly a secret recipe. I've only ever seen them made and sold in Bakewell. Bakewell tarts are those white topped, jam sponges cakes made by Mr Kipling. They are very different.  Thanks...we've scoffed half of it already.  :b
I think this is correct.  :)

Thanks for the photos - not just the whippets, but the pudding too! Yum yum! One of my favourite treats! I hope you have protection for your table as that grease goes right through the paper bag :)) I find the best thing to do is to eat it as quickly as possible. All of it... :thumbsup:

I couldn't go today as I had to work, but my Dad took my elkie boy for me, and they had a good day. I think the results are up on Fossedata, although he got the Whippet results for me anyway.

Nicola said:
Bakewell puddings are unique...and supposedly a secret recipe. I've only ever seen them made and sold in Bakewell. Bakewell tarts are those white topped, jam sponges cakes made by Mr Kipling. They are very different.  Thanks...we've scoffed half of it already.  :b

I've only had a Bakewell pudding once and don't think I liked it very much - I prefer Mr Kipling's Bakewell Tarts! :- "

But it was a long time ago - somewhere round about 1991 when my husband nearly got a job in Chesterfield and we were thinking it would be nice to live in Bakewell. So I might like them now. Must pay a visit and find out. :D

I didn't know about the Bakewell Show. I will look out for that next year and pop along. Glad you had a good time, Nicola but it has been very wet today hasn't it? :(

stephen mason said:
Hello Nicola. Are Bakewell puddings the same as what we called Bakewell tarts many, many years ago? Enjoy them. Stephen
Now Now Stephen :cheers:

You lived in Sheffield all those years and never had a Bakewell Pudding?

The Bakewell pudding is a lot different to the Tarts you find in Bakewell.

I dont like pudding's (other than the original Yorkshire Pudding genuine story how yorkshire got its pudding) myself but do like a tart now and again :blink:

Richard (not Dawn this time)

looking at that table full of goodies you must have had a good day! :D i love agricultural shows and game fairs :cheers:

It was a bit of a wash out, I went with Alfyn and her friend linda. (Thanks Debs)

The whippet was Group 2 and the whippet puppy, a Barnesmore puppy (Jan will give the details Im sure) didnt stay for the group as they had travelled from nr London.

K9'ers did really well in the Stakes classes!! Jax won Junior Stakes, Alfyn won Open Stakes and jax was vhc (I think) in veteran stakes. WELL DONE GIRLS!

It was a really enjoyable day despite the weather although Alfyn did MAKE me spend too much money!!!!

Thanks for the poem on Yorkshire puddings Richard. My mother used to make marvellous yorkshire puddings. Will have Mariloli study the recipe. Stephen

DSC01219_1_1_1_5_1.JPG

stephen mason said:
Thanks for the poem on Yorkshire puddings Richard. My mother used to make marvellous yorkshire puddings. Will have Mariloli study the recipe. Stephen
Should add that the photo is of Taratess at 6 months, a daughter of Isidra. Stephen

dawn said:
It was a bit of a wash out, I went with Alfyn and her friend linda. (Thanks Debs)
The whippet was Group 2 and the whippet puppy, a Barnesmore puppy (Jan will give the details Im sure) didnt stay for the group as they had travelled from nr London.

K9'ers did really well in the Stakes classes!!  Jax won Junior Stakes,  Alfyn won Open Stakes and jax was vhc (I think) in veteran stakes. WELL DONE GIRLS!

It was a really enjoyable day despite the weather although Alfyn did MAKE me spend too much money!!!!

well done all you k9 girlies! :cheers:

gilliwigs said:
Nicola said:

I've only had a Bakewell pudding once and don't think I liked it very much - I prefer Mr Kipling's Bakewell Tarts! :- "

But it was a long time ago - somewhere round about 1991 when my husband nearly got a job in Chesterfield and we were thinking it would be nice to live in Bakewell. So I might like them now. Must pay a visit and find out. :D

I didn't know about the Bakewell Show. I will look out for that next year and pop along. Glad you had a good time, Nicola but it has been very wet today hasn't it? :(

You need a sweet tooth, but I don't think they are as sickly sweet as Bakewell tarts with all that yukky white icing on top. I luv 'em. Probably an acquired taste.....so I would try one again, just to make sure. ;)

The Bakewell show is on every year, early August. Always best to get there for 9 o'clock, as it gets really busy afterthat, and it's a nightmare queuing up to find a parking space. It runs over two days, with different events on different days. I usually pick the days that the dog shows are showing the breed I want to go and see. It's usually sporting dogs one day, and non sporting the next. Unfortunately Stan is non sporting, so I feel torn between the two days at times. Looks like they are having much better weather today :angry: :b

I hope no one is getting the wrong idea about all those salami sticks I bought (w00t)

Oh Nicloa , what are you like :eek: , you came over last year or was it the year before ? :- "

Shame you didnt get the first 3 in open as you would have got Indias mum `Fleur` in the picture :(

Bakewell show is always the first wed s and thurs of August , so a note to make in your Diary for next year :cheers:

Yum yum........ thanks for the piccies and the wonderful tablefull of goodies.... feeling hungry now :b

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back