The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

THE BEST WEIGHT

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Sherry, some of them are that big now you could put a saddle on them &ride them

i personally dont think there should be a weight limit on the no limit i do think that you should weigh in excess of 40lb to run in it though

if people want a limit enforced then surely it cant happen untill 5/6 years time ,to allow the pups and people who own big dogs a chance to run them :b

;) i agree entirley with ritchie isnt it funny how no limit racers with dogs of over the 40lb weight all agree with each other and pple who dont own no limits are against? just my opinion mind. John pple have been known to say that about mickey whizz in ther past get a saddle for him etc but actually he isnt that big he weighs approx 50lb but he aint that tall well he aint that big to me lol ;)

John, I totally agree with you - if you have a no limit dog out of a greyhound sire it should NOT be classed as a whippet. I am NOT against the No Limit racing, but with the size of the no limits today I do think it is time another weight group was introduced in that group. When at the Derby Saxon Duke who weights 42/43lbs was in a race with much bigger dogs and at the end when he was first on the lure, as the others overshot it, the other 3 came crashing in and all I heard was crunch. My first thought was which dogs has sustained an injury from that sound. Fortunately, it was not mine but by the sound one of the dogs took one hell of a bump. SAFETY should come first with these bigs dogs, this is WHY it needs rethinking about. Size of the whippets does not bother me but SAFETY does.

So, how much of a greyhound cross do you all think is acceptable then in no limit?

Can't say that we have a favourite weight really-We have one for most classes- ;) 19lb bitch, 22lb bitch, 20lb dog, 24lb bitch, 26lb bitch and a No Limit-

Would quite like another No Limit maybe? as we believe our present one never quite reached his full potential.

Karen

i think if a no limit fits in a whippet trap then its ok but i do think greyhound cross whippet back to a greyhound is getting them on the large side :)

Last edited by a moderator:
CAROL I AM NOT AGAINST SCRATCH RACERS THERE IS NOBODY IN WHIPPET RACING LIKES TO SEE THE BIG DOGS RACE I AM ALLWAYS ON THE LINE TIMEING THEM,WHAT I AM AGAINST IS THE WAY THE BREEDING IS GOING AT THE MOMENT IF U PUT A GREYHOUND TO A HALF CROSS NO LIMIT YOU ARE MORE LIKLEY TO GET THE BIGGER THAN NORMAL NO LIMITERS,I KNOW YOU CAN GET THE ODD ONE IF YOU BREED THE NORMAL WHIPPET X GHD BUT AT LEAST YOU KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM :cheers:

:cheers:

cheers gary i did say that at the meeting two years ago ..if a dog can fit in a whippet trap and race with the whippets all year on the straights then yes it should race, but if the said dogs can not race all year because of not been able to fit in and race in the whippet traps then it should not be able to compete with the whippets on the bends

debbie

;) honeybee in your heat at derby u had Last one left approx 47lb no surrender whom I know for a fact is just verging over the 40lb as he raced at maltby in the 40lb and Jackpot I believe is about 48lb yours 43lb so what is the ideal limit for u? I think u have saxon duke am I right? I raced my youngster 43lb also in a heat with another 43lb and a 52lb. What would pple suggest for this? I know the irg have up to 44lb and then no limit would this be fairer? Are there enough no limits to have it like this. Believe me I would prefer it like this as like I say I have a 43lb and 50lb. You are all on about very large no limits am I right? Ive said this before they are very few and far between and as far as Im aware they only race on the bends I dont think they would fit into the whippet boxes I could be wrong mind but Iknow how hard it is to get mickey whizz in. I get your point john g about greyhound stud but I think we should all just wait and see what they produce. You never know what size your going to end up with. I would love to breed mickey whizz in years to come but pple will probably say he is too big infact there are two lightweight stud dogs in his breeding his sire being mickey mouse and his great sire being crazy cracker. Good to see we are having a great debate about this topic thats what its all about. :D

Dunno how the no-limits got brought up in this thread...Anyways, my personal preference is for dogs between 24 and 30 pound...I personally think they look good. But, at the end of the day the handicap system does not allow them to win supreme, which leaves us with lightweights and no-limits if you want the big prizes...

Maybe in a few years, we won't see heavyweight whippets, just little ones and the no-limits...It would be shame...

Paul

:clown: me neither realmadyid and was the topic starer lol :lol:I think somebody said somat about dogs getting too big or somat like athat anyway lol :lol: nah cant c that just lightweights and no limits. lol :lol:

24 to 30 FLUKE26 HOME ALONE 24 TINA MARINA 24 AND A FEW MORE SHOOTING STAR ;) :D ALL EXCEPTIONAL FLY FREE 27 :D

i thought this topic was about the best size dog not lets have a go at the nolimits again. 8)

gary

come on ernie

:p Some people just seem to go on and on about the no limits....Why don't you just leave them alone? Concentrate on your own dogs which you have, whatever weight they may be. I noticed a few times in this topic the word SAFETY was mentioned on a few occasions.....mmmmm.....just wondering do those people use kickboards? :oops:

I have no preference in the weight or the size of a dog, but i think a good 45-50lb dog is poetry in motion when flat out after the lure...maybe because that's the dogs i race....not biased there or anything LOL. :clown:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back