The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Dog Cafe

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I always think it's because they smell more intense of tree dwellers, squirrels or birds maybe... or maybe it's that it's fresher and less scented by ground life... until it's been on the ground for a while at least!

Yesterday I saw something lovely, so I thought I'd share. On the village playing fields there was a lady pushing a pushchair as fast as she could go, with a grinning cockerpoodlysummat going like stink beside her (offlead) with the biggest grin on its face, and a small sprog in the pushchair also grinning and loving every moment.

It's things like that that lift your heart :)

Something that puts me in a good mood is when I hear a bike bell behind me and move myself and Jasper over to the side of the path, the cyclist comes past me at a sensible speed and says thank you, and we carry on on our way. Such a small thing, so simple and easy to do - two people showing common courtesy and respect for each other - but so much better than all the 'I hate cyclists/pedestrians/dog owners' we hear most of the time. Oh, and dog owners who read my body language and see J's muzzle, and make sure that their dog doesn't get too close. It's so easy to focus on the interactions that aren't like this.

In other news, I read of a new discovery today - ancient Egyptians revered both pharaoh hounds and cats, and one pharaoh, by the name of Lirpaloof, managed to cross them. Most of the cat DNA has disappeared now, but genetic analysis has revealed that sighthounds still retain a small amount, which explains their love of comfort and warmth, and their occasional bloody-mindedness, I mean independent spirits...

Something that puts me in a good mood is when I hear a bike bell behind me and move myself and Jasper over to the side of the path, the cyclist comes past me at a sensible speed and says thank you, and we carry on on our way. Such a small thing, so simple and easy to do - two people showing common courtesy and respect for each other - but so much better than all the 'I hate cyclists/pedestrians/dog owners' we hear most of the time. Oh, and dog owners who read my body language and see J's muzzle, and make sure that their dog doesn't get too close. It's so easy to focus on the interactions that aren't like this.

In other news, I read of a new discovery today - ancient Egyptians revered both pharaoh hounds and cats, and one pharaoh, by the name of Lirpaloof, managed to cross them. Most of the cat DNA has disappeared now, but genetic analysis has revealed that sighthounds still retain a small amount, which explains their love of comfort and warmth, and their occasional bloody-mindedness, I mean independent spirits...

:D:D:D:D:D

JudyN, Do you want to buy a spaghetti bush? Pastastultus family. Fruits just once annually usually about now. We’ve got loads in orchards in Herefordshire.

I always thought spaghetti grew on trees, in southern Switzerland? They are an absolute classic crop for this time of year.

Though that could be a load of bolognese, of course.

I always thought spaghetti grew on trees, in southern Switzerland? They are an absolute classic crop for this time of year.

Though that could be a load of bolognese, of course.
Touché.

I am just a little bit excited...

Our next-door neighbour is moving... Actually, it's rather sad. She and her hubby were in their 90s and he in particular was really struggling with his mobility, so they planned to move to some supported accommodation. But a week or so her husband died, and she's now having to cope with that as well as the move. Fortunately, they have three daughters and several grandchildren who live nearby and are helping her. (I have offered to help out in any way several times, but like all old people, she hates losing her independence and asking for help.)

Anyway... apparently, the family moving in (assuming it all goes through) have three teenagers... and four dogs:eek: They are also planning to convert the house, which is a bungalow, into two-storey house, so doubtless there will be a lot of noise and disruption.

I've no idea what breeds the dogs are. I have my fingers crossed for 4 rescue greyhounds. I just really hope they're not barky types who are left out in the garden to bark most of the day. Or even worse, that they are the sort of people who will yell at them for barking all day, or digging holes, or putting a paw wrong.

We still have no plans to get another dog ourselves. I miss Jasper enormously and can still have the odd meltdown when something triggers a memory. And I could fall in love with another pointy dog at the drop of a hat. But in all honesty, we don't miss having a dog, and have so much more time and opportunity to do the things we want to do. And although MrN could also fall for another dog, he doesn't think he could cope with going through the bereavement again.

We can also make the most of our granddaughter - her other grandparents are now having to manage her round their cockapoo, as she does like pulling on hair, and exploring nostrils, teeth, etc.:confused: Though she also takes great delight in slipping him treats when she's in her high chair:D

When our elderly upstairs neighbour passed away last year, (considering we live in purpose built 2 flat building with shared side access to each of our gardens), we were quite worried about who would move in because of both of our jobs. OH does scooters and engines and I have a variety of special dogs that stay with me, (only one at a time thank fully!)
But I reckon the universe was smiling on us because we got a really lovely couple who are totally understanding of our work, who also have a lovable, nutty French Bulldog that they rescued. And yes I have taken him on as a boarding client, it would of been hard not to really as he only lives up stairs and he has a variety of special needs too!:D:Dbut... he is absolutely my last new addition!!:p:D

he is absolutely my last new addition!!:p:D

You sound like my friend: 'No, I absolutely definitely am only fostering this dog, he is definitely not staying. No way.' She's failed twice in the few years I know her, both times to dogs with lifelong issues due to their former lives.

I feel your pain. Without going into details, we've had similar major disruption over several neighbours (each of whom had major building work done, most of whom had irritating pets) in the 20something years I've lived here. Additionally we now have a huge housing estate being built over the other boundary, and another across the road and up a bit. I hope very much that your experience will be easier. Hugs.

The new neighbours moved in last Friday, but there only seemed to be one person there - no signs of dogs or children. But finally, this morning, I have spotted the dogs in the garden - they're Boston terriers. Not my breed of choice, but Mrs ND had told me that the buyer said they were small dogs, and four whippets would have been too much to hope for. I now have the perfect excuse to introduce myself - there's a gap under the hedge that small dogs can escape through. I just need to say it without sounding like I don't want them coming into my garden - but they might then be able to get through our hedgehog hole onto the road.

Always the diplomat. Yes, hoping for sighthounds would have been somewhat ambitious. Have a super Christmas.

I have finally made it to the end of my working year, I now have a whole 10 days off, whoopie!! This is the only break I take in a year( the joy of being self employed...:rolleyes:), mostly as a lot of my clients are home too so it suits us all. I am quite pooped!!

The last few weeks also I've been going through my boarding license renewal process which is always an incredibly stressful time. Defra are always adding more stuff to their already long, long list of requirements, but finally got awarded a 5star, 3year licence which I'm really chuffed about!:D As my handful of regular oldies are well, old... I'm really hoping this licence will see them out and I can finally wind down this side of my business. Not that I'm wishing the demise of any of them:eek:, I love them all like my own! But looking after other peoples dogs is a huge responsibility even though I've been lucky to have kept the same clients from when most of them were around a year or two old,(the dogs not owners!:p:D), which is actually quite an honour I feel:)
So hopefully, one day, I will be able to adopt again myself...:cool: unless I'm too tired to walk another dog, then maybe I'll just fill my home up with ferrets!!:D:D:D:D

Congratulations, Flobo :) I can understand the feeling of extra responsibility for other people's dogs - I'm far more concerned about my granddaughter picking up a lump or bump when I'm looking after her than I was with my own two at that age!

Congratulations Flobo ....
I think you should adopt a dog and fill your house with more ferrets as I love reading about their antics :D;):)

Thankyou both! I'm trying to pin daughter down to do our xmas ferret photos:D Hopefully tomorrow, so I'll share the pics. Thinking Piggy in a blanket at the mo and Goose always does a good Grinch!:cool::D:D

I've been chatting to new Mr Next-Door and introduced to his three Boston terriers :)

The youngest dog is the offspring of the middle one - they had wanted a new dog but when they saw how much puppies cost decided to breed their own. I asked if he planned to breed from her again, torn between not being keen on squish-faced dogs or 'backyard breeding' and really hoping that they would like some help with puppy cuddling... He said they weren't sure, as the mum hadn't really enjoyed pregnancy/parenthood, but their vet had said that if they were going to breed once, they should breed twice as a way of avoiding phantom pregnancies (she's showing signs of this at the mo). Is there anything in this? I'd have thought that if one litter leads to phantom pregnancies in the future, having another litter wouldn't prevent more in the future.

IMO it's rubbish.

All whole bitches get phantom pregnancies, though while obvious in many, others need a keen eye and experience for us to spot it. it's allegedly a relic of when younger females assist in feeding a litter. Other canid species do this, too.

I've been involved in enough litters (not just ones I've personally bred) to know that a successful pregnancy doesn't make bitches more or less likely to change how future phantom pregnancies present.

Unfortunately, fewer vets now experience actual animal breeding at first hand, and with the best of intentions only have past lecture material to rely upon.

Thanks Hemlock - it certainly didn't ring true to me.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back