The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Future Of Working Lurchers

jake1

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the future of the working lurcher?

Since the ban on hare coursing (by a load of ignorant politicians :rant: ) is there any need for a large type lurcher e.g deerhound/greyhound as the only quarry that can legally be pursued is rabbits, wont whippets increasingly be used to produce smaller quicker accelerating dogs?

I know many pure bred greyhounds, deerhounds and salukis that can catch rabbits but in terms of a ferreting/ lamping dog would a whippet lurcher not produce the ideal mix? as a rabbit pursued does not tend to run the distance of a hare on the fens before it finds cover, (there are obviously exeptions when lamping on larger fields) especially when pursuing a ferreted rabbit. acceleration is paramount.

I an in no way criticsising large lurchers or trying to upset anyone jus thought it would make an interesting discussion.

your right mate people are breeding stupid size dogs over there for a whippet lurchers job but then if they did nt and yous got your coursing or fox hunting back then you would be back to square one who up holes the ban any way i know a lot of people over there who a just working away as i would do if it wa me as for whippet lurchers what really advantage do they have working wise over a whippet ?

robert

The larger working lurcher firmly is here to stay. Imo, the whippet as much as it has its sudden burst of speed and there are some good whippet crosses out there, it doesn't offer as much to the lurcher world as the greyhound.

why does the whippet not offer as mach as the greyhound ?

i may be wrong here but wasnt a lurcher a poachers dog ,the poor mans greyhound why would a few recent laws stop them working/ .when they couldnt stop them before :- "

devonmaid said:
i may be wrong here but wasnt  a lurcher a poachers dog ,the poor mans greyhound why would a few recent laws stop them working/ .when they couldnt stop them before  :- "

How right you are!! a lurcher is a poachers dog.

I think that a bigger dog is braver and has a bit more stamina - although i dont like the bull crosses all that much - i think they are too big.

helsbels16 said:
devonmaid said:
i may be wrong here but wasnt  a lurcher a poachers dog ,the poor mans greyhound why would a few recent laws stop them working/ .when they couldnt stop them before  :- "

I think that a bigger dog is braver and has a bit more stamina - although i dont like the bull crosses all that much - i think they are too big.

what a load of rubbish big dogs braver and more stamina what planet you on ive see big dogs 28" look the other way when they see a fox big and bloody ball less god for bid if they had of see anything big than a fox they would of been found shaking at the owners back door size does not come into it they have a heart or the dont as for stamina explain to me hi a big dog has more? dont get me wronge big dog have there uses as my next lurcher will be and used solo as a big game dog ie fox and bambie

robert

milliken said:
helsbels16 said:
devonmaid said:

what a load of rubbish big dogs braver and more stamina what planet you on ive see big dogs 28" look the other way when they see a fox big and bloody ball less god for bid if they had of see anything big than a fox they would of been found shaking at the owners back door size does not come into it they have a heart or the dont as for stamina explain to me hi a big dog has more? dont get me wronge big dog have there uses as my next lurcher will be and used solo as a big game dog ie fox and bambie

robert

WELL SORRY FOR SAYING MY OPINION ROBERT

ONLY GOING BY MY EXPERIANCE WITH WORKING DOGS.

have you worked big and small dog ? hi long you had working lurcher comeing of with that ive what you say was the case id have a 30" deer hound sorry if my last post seem a bit cheeky but i just could not see hi you came up with that

robert

I have been bought up with working dogs all my life - from terriers to lurchers including gun dogs. My family have been successful breeders for 200 years of working and racing dogs all over the world.

im not saying that smaller lurchers are not any good because they are and i have had some very goods one. A friend of mine has 2 fantastic little workers, i just feel that lurchers sized around the 23" - 25" are i little more hardie!

if this is the case then hi do you work out that a big dog is braver than a small one ive see whippet take fox single handed as good as a 26" 80lb bull cross and see big dogs pull up at foxes surely if you work your dogs as much as you say and have see big and small dog work you would not come out with this coment

robert

""[SIZE=14pt]im not saying that smaller lurchers are not any good because they are and i have had some very goods one. A friend of mine has 2 fantastic little workers, i just feel that lurchers sized around the 23" - 25" are i little more hardie![/SIZE] ""

sorry did i not say this just now???? :wacko:

I have also seen a whippet cross shy away from a fox and i have also know whippet crosses to scream at the lightest falls and wont go into cover

why say bigger dogs are braver than small one then

robert

Hi i have had hare coursing and rabbiting dogs all my life and in my opinion owning racing and coursing dogs the best breed is a whippit x greyhound and the ideal size would be 22-23 inch tall not built to heavy 39 lbs ish [ more agile]. Bigger dogs than that tend to struggle picking rabbits up. we have coursed salukki crosses with whippit x greyhounds small and big and i have found from experiance smaller whippit greyhounds have the full package. Speed , good at turning, and bags of stamina. :thumbsup:

Well im tired now of repeating myself so im going to stop talking about this -_-

I have given my opinion as im sure many other people will.

Cheers :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back