The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Golden Whippet

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This was idea of my to bring whippet racing forward and to bring new people in to sport at these hard times because what really is there to draw people to whippet racing ( crap trophys at some of events I been to , low pay out 80%|70%|50% sometimes no payout and cost small fortune in fuel bills & need good motor to get around some of opens ) (good points (some great weekends events,some opens put add prize money some opens really try with there trophys) I personally look back at year think to my self how to try improve and get bigger turn out like said this was just idea I spoke to lot of whippeters 6 which were willing to sponsor elite idea did not mean more opens it just was run along side normal calendar I personally would always help out at any open or club meeting which I done but if people think if sit back doing big fat zero this sport will go forward and stop people jack the sport in they best thing again and remember I toid you so this is just my opinion I hate to write any negative things on k9 :thumbsup:
Totally respect what you are trying to do Lyndon, I don't think that you should take some of the comments that have been made too personally. As always everyone has an opinion and some are going to be for an idea and some are always going to be against an idea. I'm not saying that i'm totally against the idea but I have to agree with what Mark said. I don't think that the lure of prize money has ever or will ever be a part of my desicion to take part in whippet racing. When I started the sport 3 and a bit years ago the point for me was to get a dog for the exercise and to get out of the house and meet people. The fact that my dogs could potentially win races was just an added bonus to the joy of owning a dog. One of the first things Dave ever said to me was there is no money in whippet racing and I obviously was quite happy to join the sport on that basis.

I'm not saying that it is not good when you do get a little bit of money back, with the cost of fuel and everything it's nice to get a little something back to go towards the spiralling costs, but I don't think that increased prize money is the answer. I can only see it causing more arguements and more cheating from the small minority who take the sport far too seriously. Not that I am aware of any such things going on but I can only assume that the reason drug testing started is because it did and may still happen. For the most part I turn a blind eye to the arguements that I have heard of and ocasionally witnessed in this sport because I know that if i took it to heart i'd be like one of the many who have dropped out of this sport. I have to keep telling myself that i do it because my dogs enjoy it and every desicion i make i make to the benefit of my dogs. But right now I don't think that i would even recommend the sport to a newcomer without first warning them of how much negativity goes around.

I don't want anyone one to take what i have written to heart I am only saying it as i see it from the position of someone who has only been in the sport a short time. I really would like to see this sport improve and I have long been gutted that i wasn't around in it's hay day. I hope someone does find an answer to save the sport but unfortunalty Lyndon I dont think yours is it. JMO.
very well put emma :thumbsup: the best post on here by far.

personally things like that can be sorted if/when the idea takes off, if people think lyndons idea is a good one which i do, clubs have to aswell,
idea is brilliant hope someone wants to work with the idea and it takes off im sure any help would be welcome :thumbsup:
Cheers pig :thumbsup:

I don't want anyone one to take what i have written to heart I am only saying it as i see it from the position of someone who has only been in the sport a short time. I really would like to see this sport improve and I have long been gutted that i wasn't around in it's hay day. I hope someone does find an answer to save the sport but unfortunalty Lyndon I dont think yours is it. JMO.

very well put emma :thumbsup: the best post on here by far.

I thank both of you for your opinion it's only idea nice get for and against opinion :thumbsup:

Its a brill idea ..i do think when choosing the opens -events that count some consideration should be taking into previous club opens that's had poor attendances..hopefully this would attract people to travel to them and boost the entries for the said clubs..i know the derby's have been mentioned ..but these events always get good turnouts any way same as champs ...or you could add the big events and then club events thats had lesses enterys in the past could be given double points
Thanks dee :thumbsup:

If every active club had an elite open how many would that actually be, one per club if the clubs wanted to join in, not excluding any club would be good, as not sure exactly how many clubs run now but wouldn't be many more than the said 20 i wouldn't think.
:thumbsup: Thanks Karen :thumbsup:

i personally think each club shud only be allowed 1 golden whippet elite open. for instance we have 4 @ the rising sun @ the moment 2 r bwra one of our own and one is westerhopes IMO only one of these shud count. highgate might have 10 opens but only one shud count (not champs) myself i wud pick the club open that had the biggest entries in the previous year. :thumbsup: your club chooses which open u want as the golden whippet elite open (or wotever it wud b called) and the tenner wud b paid for that open :thumbsup:
Thanks carol for explain it to poeple :thumbsup:

not a problem lyndon i think it is a good idea, some dont but @ least its getting people talking about how to improve things good heatlhly debate :thumbsup: hey someone eles might come up with something else similar but better u never know. :thumbsup:

Well i think its a brill idea esp if opens that's had poor attendance the past few years are the ones that are added to the competition and it increases the turn outs maybe the southern or Scottish events ..

Without trying anything new whos to say it will or wont work for the better ... some people live in the past ..times change ..i say give it a go or we never know what the outcome will be cannot see what harm it could do ..if you got to enter it and dont want to ..simple dont

Last edited by a moderator:
lyndon all i ever see is you promoting the sport m8 well done :thumbsup:

I got speak to sponsors about format but will be putting some information on here about it in jan/feb so watch this space :thumbsup:

lyndon all i ever see is you promoting the sport m8 well done :thumbsup:
yep butts top lad is lyndon,he will bend over backwards to help the sport

all the clubs should get together and give a few quid towards this thing ;)

so get behind him, :thumbsup:

Think the best thing is that its wrote down how it will run reasons why certain opens have been chosen ,,maybe there format or it try and help increase enters from last years open ..a list of opens , how scoring would work ..the cost per dog/kennel how much is expected to be in the pot how it will be paid out for those entering ..when its in black and white it will be easier for people to consider i would imagine

it seems a very very good idea lyndon and very well done for thinking of trying to bring new faces in to the sport....im in ireland as alot of u know and its same ere trying to keep the heads above water in the though times and keep the racing and clubs going,,,,as dee said if u dont try u will never ever know ,yesterday is history,today a mistery,and who knows wat tommrrow might bring :blink: ...

take it on those who r possitive becos lyndon someone has to grab the bull by the horns...ie]someone had to start r sport ect ect and dont mind the people who ave not got dogs good enough and once u mention rise the money its same as throughing a cat in between the dogs....it hapens ere aswel but my opp put the shoe on the other foot and wat way would it be,,,sorry if it sounds harse but it is called reality dot com

good idea from a top man u will ave dee and gaz and i assume few more wat more do u need best of luck hope all keeping well over there

from shane and the gang :luck: hope darlo is getting fatttttttttttttttttttt (w00t)

it seems a very very good idea lyndon and very well done for thinking of trying to bring new faces in to the sport....im in ireland as alot of u know and its same ere trying to keep the heads above water in the though times and keep the racing and clubs going,,,,as dee said if u dont try u will never ever know ,yesterday is history,today a mistery,and who knows wat tommrrow might bring :blink: ...

take it on those who r possitive becos lyndon someone has to grab the bull by the horns...ie]someone had to start r sport ect ect and dont mind the people who ave not got dogs good enough and once u mention rise the money its same as throughing a cat in between the dogs....it hapens ere aswel but my opp put the shoe on the other foot and wat way would it be,,,sorry if it sounds harse but it is called reality dot com

good idea from a top man u will ave dee and gaz and i assume few more wat more do u need best of luck hope all keeping well over there

from shane and the gang :luck: hope darlo is getting fatttttttttttttttttttt (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back