The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Merits Of A Whippet X Greyhound (grew)

milly

Who's Y Daddy?
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
After reading various nonsense posts on this breed,I felt I had to enlighten the not so knowledgeable K9'ers on the attributes of the GREW

Over the years I have owned several varieties of Lurchers,and the GREW has equalled ,if not bettered the working ability of these other crosses.Alot of people just seem to think that a Whippet x Greyhound wants to get from A to B as quick as possible,but that's not necessarily true!

My intention with this topic is to try and educate the lurcher fraternity(in some cases an impossible task )

I wil start with Ferretting.I've had Grews that were excellent markers,and would sit patiently while I netted up.They've proved to be great bush dogs and would retrieve live to hand.although being honest some can be alittle hard-mouthed,which can happen with other crosses as well.I've also found them to be brilliant lamping dogs and once again ,being honest they can be abit exciteable at times,but once they've learnt the art they do calm down.I'm not going to give you comic book stories of having 40 or 50 kills a night because I don't do Fairy Tales :lol:

My Grews have given me some very enjoyable Hare Coursing mornings too :thumbsup: I like to see a dog thats 'up & at em' and thats what you get with a grew.I don't want to be slipping my dog on a hare in Lincolnshire,then having to whistle it back from Nottinghamshire :oops: :lol:

No seriously though,they are a very loyal & affectionate breed,and they can be trained to a reasonable standard of obedience.

And ....wait for it............................................in the summer months you can straight race them,they're very good at simulated coursing.speed jump,& hurdles,and brilliant at my other love,the long jump.And regarding these dogs having no stamina................What a load of rubbish!

A Dog is only as good(regardless of breed)as the time and effort that the owner puts into it

Geoff Fletcher (ex-lurcher racer,for the time being)

Last edited by a moderator:
milly said:
After reading various nonsense posts on this breed,I felt I had to enlighten the not so knowledgeable K9'ers on the attributes of the GREW Over the years I have owned several varieties of Lurchers,and the GREW has equalled ,if not bettered the working ability of these other crosses.Alot of people just seem to think that a Whippet x Greyhound wants to get from A to B as quick as possible,but that's not necessarily true!

My intention with this topic is to try and educate the lurcher fraternity(in some cases an impossible task )

I wil start with Ferretting.I've had Grews that were excellent markers,and would sit patiently while I netted up.They've proved to be great bush dogs and would retrieve live to hand.although being honest some can be alittle hard-mouthed,which can happen with other crosses as well.I've also found them to be brilliant lamping dogs and once again ,being honest they can be abit exciteable at times,but once they've learnt the art they do calm down.I'm not going to give you comic book stories of having 40 or 50 kills a night because I don't do Fairy Tales :lol:

My Grews have given me some very enjoyable Hare Coursing mornings too :thumbsup: I like to see a dog thats 'up & at em' and thats what you get with a grew.I don't want to be slipping my dog on a hare in Lincolnshire,then having to whistle it back from Nottinghamshire :oops:   :lol:

No seriously though,they are a very loyal & affectionate breed,and they can be trained to a reasonable standard of obedience.

And ....wait for it............................................in the summer months you can straight race them,they're very good at simulated coursing.speed jump,& hurdles,and brilliant at my other love,the long jump.And regarding these dogs having no stamina................What a load of rubbish!

A Dog is only as good(regardless of breed)as the time and effort that the owner puts into it

WOT HO, MRS WILSON :lol:

i must admit im more than happy with my girl , she not only pleases me as a happy dog at home but brill with kids too , oh and shock horror she is a damn fine worker too, im happy walking day time fields with her at my side ( off lead too!!!) and see what pops up , or at night with the lamp, a pleasure to call mine , she just just begun lure coursing with EAWCC and very pleased with how she has done there too :thumbsup:

here she is running at home

Last edited by a moderator:
posh totty said:
i must admit im more than happy with my girl , she not only pleases me as a happy dog at home but brill with kids too , oh and shock horror she is a damn fine worker too, im happy walking day time fields with her at my side ( off lead too!!!) and see what pops up , or at night with the lamp, a pleasure to call mine , she just just begun lure coursing with EAWCC and very pleased with how she has done there too  :thumbsup:

Looks like she's got some early pace :thumbsup:

midlanderkeith said:
milly said:
After reading various nonsense posts on this breed,I felt I had to enlighten the not so knowledgeable K9'ers on the attributes of the GREW Over the years I have owned several varieties of Lurchers,and the GREW has equalled ,if not bettered the working ability of these other crosses.Alot of people just seem to think that a Whippet x Greyhound wants to get from A to B as quick as possible,but that's not necessarily true!

My Grews have given me some very enjoyable Hare Coursing mornings too :thumbsup: I like to see a dog thats 'up & at em' and thats what you get with a grew.I don't want to be slipping my dog on a hare in Lincolnshire,then having to whistle it back from Nottinghamshire :oops:   :lol:

WOT HO, MRS WILSON :lol:

Behave yourself Keith, or I'll send our Cybil around to give you a bed bath :- " with a Brillo pad (w00t)

posh totty said:
i must admit im more than happy with my girl , she not only pleases me as a happy dog at home but brill with kids too , oh and shock horror she is a damn fine worker too, im happy walking day time fields with her at my side ( off lead too!!!) and see what pops up , or at night with the lamp, a pleasure to call mine , she just just begun lure coursing with EAWCC and very pleased with how she has done there too  :thumbsup:

Do you have any vids of her turning?? :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back