The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Thinking About The Possibility Of Getting A Dog But......

Do you think i am home enough to look after a dog?

• Total voters

Cearball

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi my names Andrew & this is my first post.

The reason i have started a new topic rather than searching is i have specific issues associated with getting a dog so i was going to list them & get peoples opinions & help.

Family has owned dogs so have some experience with them but not the breeds i am interested in. (Family dogs were a border collie/springer spaniel & a samoyed & another border collie)

First off will be living in a 2nd floor smallish apartment so have researched dogs that go well with this environment & narrowed it down to ones i wouldnt mind owning. (Mainly greyhound)

my sister has a chihuahua/shitzhu cross that hates going out for walks & runs round the house all day.
This type of dog could work well maybe but when i am off work it wouldnt like to go for walks i imagine.

Secondly i will be moving in by myself so when i am in work or out the dog will be by itself.

I work long shifts which is a problem as they are normally 12 hour, so say i may be out the house for 15 hours total at a time.

However i do get a lot of time off so figured the dog would have plenty of time with me then (im off work normally more than in work)
Normal pattern is:

4 shifts working,

5 days off,

5 shifts working,

4 days off,

5 shifts working

12 days off

Then it recycles round & repeats the sequence.

Thirdly i was looking for dogs that dont need alot of exercise as when i am working i may not be able to take it out every day.

However when i am off i wouldn't mind a dog that could be taken for longer walks (for example i hear bulldogs & pugs say couldnt go for long walks).

dogs that keeps cropping up when i do searches & i quite like are english bulldogs & greyhounds. Apparently they are quite relaxed apartment dogs & dont need as much exercise as other breeds so was thinking maybe of a greyhound.

So any ideas on breeds or whether i should even entertain the idea of getting a dog?

So far i am more inclined to think i am not home enough to have dog but want peoples opinion.

Thanks (apologies for monster post)

Hello Andrew - I am Anna - welcome to Dog Forum :)

I do think you are out for long periods of time, I wonder if you would be better off getting a couple of cats?

You could always do some walking for a local rescue centre or consider weekend fostering or something if you crave having a dog around but I think you are right to question your time abilities....

Thanks for the reply banana.

i can still walk my parents dog as they aren't far away & it needs more exercise than it gets anyway. its starting to get tubby in its old age.

However i have always lived with dogs & liked the idea of possibly getting one to live with me. I suppose even the really small dogs would get way too lonely when i am away.

But i think your probably right.

hopefully someone who has had greyhounds will post as after doing research i was surprised about the info i was reading & am curious if it is correct.

​Always assumed they would need an excessive amount if exercise more than a border collie.

Knew someone who

I can understand that you are looking for a companion and that when you are of work you have plenty of spare time on your hands but OMO leaving a dog in the house alone for so long when you are working is just too much.

Wish you all the best but for now sorry i voted NO.

Last edited by a moderator:
even 8-10 hours is long to leave dogs on their own, let alone 15. The only way it could work, I think, is if you have a dog walker to come in on the days that you have long shifts. And I would suggest you research that possibility thoroughly before getting a dog rather than after

Well done though for asking and considering - often as Macha said, people buy the dog first without considering the technicalities.... :)

At the moment I wouldn't say you should get a dog however your circumstances change throughout your life and one day it will be possible I'm sure .

As someone else said maybe two cats might be a better idea ? Often rescues struggle to get homes for pairs of cats .

I wish more people would ask advice before getting a pet .

Hi Andrew

I'm afraid that I also think that unless you have someone locally who can give your dog some company, let them out for the loo and take them on walks while you're out then 15 hours alone on a regular basis is just too long.

Do you have family nearby who could do doggy day care? I know several people who take their dog around to a family member's house when they go to work.

If you don't have anybody like that close enough to be visited regularly then I don't think that getting a dog would be positive for the dog, which should be as big a consideration as whether your life will fit a dog into it. Even a dog with a cast iron bladder couldn't be expected not to need a wee for 15 hours and how lonely would you get with no company at all for that time on a regular basis? Dogs are very social animals and removing that from them is likely to cause all sorts of stresses that they don't really need.

As others have said, a pair of cats who can be company for each other are likely to be far happier than a single and very lonely dog.

I'm in the same sort of situation as you. I desperately want a dog too and keep researching - but although my husband is often around during the day, it's not guaranteed and I'm out for 8 hours a day.

I do have 2 cats though and they are wonderful company, so do consider it!

Welcome to the board!!!!

thanks for replies people.

I could drop the dog off round my parents house while i do my shifts.

They have two dogs already to keep it company.

However i have decided it isnt really fair for me to get one, i felt this anyway was just curious of people opinions by posting this i guess.

I was interested about greyhounds temperments & exercise needs though so was looking to see if what i heard was correct. eg quite lazy round the house only needs 20-30mins exercise a day.

Anyway like i said thanks for opinions

Hi.

Greyhounds by nature are bred to sprint short distances. When they are racing they are generally not walked (other than to go to the loo) and a raced once or twice a week. So two 20min walks a day would be more than enough walking time.

The problem with greyhounds at first is most ex racing ones have never lived in a house or seen a bed or a sofa so need that training and confidence to use it for sleeping. They have also never seen a toy so again they need to learn how to play.

Greyhound puppies on the other hand are difficult to deal with unless they get that regular sprinting exercise.

I think greyhounds are wonderful dogs for owners who would like a cat type dog, as they are happy to sleep there time away.

In regards to time alone I do feel that every dog is different in their own tollerance levels but 15 hours is too much.

My Oreo is sometimes left 8 hours and she is fine as she sleeps most of the day anyway lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if the dog can go to your parents every day, then that would be okay?

Where are you located? Any use for my recent post re dog sitting/sharing?

Jennycan14

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back