The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Thinking of having a dog.... Help & Advice

natalie.w

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello

Ive been thinking about getting a dog for years and now I'm living in my own home I can finally have one, its been a dream of mine since I was little I absolutely love dogs:). I work full time which would usually mean I'm out of the house 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Ive done my best to research breeds that would cope well with being left alone but I'm still unsure, as much as id love to have a dog I couldn't bear the thought of him/her being so unhappy being left alone and the impact it could have on their health. I guess I'm just looking for some advice... does anybody else have this problem and how do your dogs cope? I've read lots of books but id really like some help from somebody who actually owns a dog.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Natalie
X

Leaving a dog alone all day isnt something Id advise. Of course it happens from time to time but to set out with the plan to leave them 5 days a week 8 hours a day isnt ideal. Maybe look into doggy creche or daycare a dog walker of p sitters in your area.

It is doable but not ideal. Dogs are generally social animals that like being with their humans and 8 hours a day is a long time to be without company and stimulation. If you could have a dog walker, ideally twice a day but at least once a day, it could be manageable but not with a puppy - you would have to look for an adult. Also - after work do you ever do anything? Because that would need to stop too. It's a good time of year to be planning for it though, for the following reason. One of the things I suggest to people in your situation is now, before you get a dog, start getting up an hour earlier than you do at the moment and regardless of weather or light, go out for an hour's walk. As soon as you get home from work do the same. Do this every day for the next two months. If you find you are struggling, you will know if you are truly ready for a dog.

If you do struggle, why not volunteer at a local rescue centre to get your dog ”fix” without the responsibility. Because at the end of the day, I'm afraid for a dog lover, the dog's needs come first - the fact you have always wanted a dog is secondary to what you can offer a dog.

This comment is honestly not intended to sound flippant but would you consider a cat? There are some breeds that are very affectionate and they are much more independent.

What about fostering at weekends. ..depends on where you live or you could volunteer dog walk at weekends for a rescue

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back