The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Those damn corns….again!

RGC

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A corn has reappeared on Mabel’s pad and this one has a noticeable effect on her movement - the poor girl is limping on her right foot. I did manage to remove a corn about 18 months ago and I intend to do this one tomorrow. The alternative would be for her to go under a GA and, taking into account her weird mindset, I’m not putting her through that. I appreciate that corns are a recurring feast. Anyway, in order to do the job as layman efficiently as possible, is there any advice out there re preparation to soften the skin? I’ve also heard of the use of gorilla tape but to what end (of efficacy) I’ve no idea.
Suggestions please. Thank you.

There's a lot you can do - though there are so many purported remedies that it suggests none of them work that well:confused:

Burt's Bee Balm is often recommended, as are epsom salt footbaths. Gorilla tape too, but apparently only the silver one. Why, I have no idea. I used to apply Bee Balm and Gorilla Tape, but I think the idea is that the tape pulls off the top layer of the corn, so maybe applying both at the same time won't work.

Wearing a boot on the afflicted foot on walks can help keep it soft, as well as more comfortable. You can also use a dremel or nail file (if Mabel will let you) to gradually file down the corn.

Apparently corns almost always grow back after surgical removal. Cutting the tendon to the affected toe seems to work very well, but of course this involves a GA, and I always wonder what happens if a corn then appears on another toe, and then another....

I found that Jasper was fine walking on grass, but limped on hard surfaces.

If you can find a greyhound trainer, they can be very helpful too. It's a grey area legally (is it any more "invasive" than cutting nails?) but I've seen many a time how they have the knack of flicking out corns, no GA necessary.

There's a lot you can do - though there are so many purported remedies that it suggests none of them work that well:confused:

Burt's Bee Balm is often recommended, as are epsom salt footbaths. Gorilla tape too, but apparently only the silver one. Why, I have no idea. I used to apply Bee Balm and Gorilla Tape, but I think the idea is that the tape pulls off the top layer of the corn, so maybe applying both at the same time won't work.

Wearing a boot on the afflicted foot on walks can help keep it soft, as well as more comfortable. You can also use a dremel or nail file (if Mabel will let you) to gradually file down the corn.

Apparently corns almost always grow back after surgical removal. Cutting the tendon to the affected toe seems to work very well, but of course this involves a GA, and I always wonder what happens if a corn then appears on another toe, and then another....

I found that Jasper was fine walking on grass, but limped on hard surfaces.
That’s appreciated in spades, JudyN. As soon Boots open I’ll see what I can find. X

If you can find a greyhound trainer, they can be very helpful too. It's a grey area legally (is it any more "invasive" than cutting nails?) but I've seen many a time how they have the knack of flicking out corns, no GA necessary.
Many thanks for the idea, Hemlock. I’m not aware of any such in the vicinity but will have a look.

As the top of the corn had partially lifted I used Burt’s Bee Balm (lip salve - peppermint flavour?). I managed to lift a very hard cap from the corn. There is more to remove but I’ll proceed with the Gorilla tape when I can get some. I’ve no idea whether I’ve managed to alleviate any of her discomfort with walking as she’s upstairs feeling very sorry for herself and I don’t want to upset her anymore. Fingers crossed and three Hail Marys.

Me again. I’ve just had a look at www.pets4homes.co.uk and the initial treatment is “Hulling the corn is often the first course of treatment considered, and this involves the vet using a blunt hooked tool to pry the corn out of its bed and free it from the pad”. The website goes on to state that “ There is a surgical option for the removal of corns, but this is usually only performed as a last resort, as recovery and healing times after surgery can be protracted and often, less invasive methods of treatment are more effective”. Interesting. Mabel’s just come downstairs - still limping but now placing her right foot on the floor with not as much apparent discomfort. I’ll get the Gorilla tape tomorrow - our local Screwfix doesn’t stock the silver one.

I have read that some dentistry tools are good for hulling corns. Google probably knows which ones! My vet also suggested trying good old-fashioned corn remover (salycilic acid?). Of course, not such a good idea if your dog will lick it. If I remember rightly, I put the corn remover on and then put duct tape on top - though there might be a risk of spreading it to the good parts of the pad.

It's reminiscent of Jasper Carrott's 'There's only one way to get rid of a mole'. Remember that?

Reactions: RGC
How is the gorilla tape used - is it the adhesive used to pull he corn away?

How is the gorilla tape used - is it the adhesive used to pull he corn away?

I think that helps, but it also helps soften the corn by keeping it off dry earth, pavements etc. It can also cushion the corn, making it more comfortable for the dog.

I think that helps, but it also helps soften the corn by keeping it off dry earth, pavements etc. It can also cushion the corn, making it more comfortable for the dog.
Ah, OK, thanks :)

I have read that some dentistry tools are good for hulling corns. Google probably knows which ones! My vet also suggested trying good old-fashioned corn remover (salycilic acid?). Of course, not such a good idea if your dog will lick it. If I remember rightly, I put the corn remover on and then put duct tape on top - though there might be a risk of spreading it to the good parts of the pad.

It's reminiscent of Jasper Carrott's 'There's only one way to get rid of a mole'. Remember that?
Thanks, JudyN. You’ve been so helpful. Our neighbour’s been over for dinner and has brought a roll of the magic tape which I’ll apply in the morning - Mabel’s settled so I’ll leave her. For the immediate future I’ll use just the tape. Will send you a PM re more info re Jasper C.

As I was applying the tape yesterday evening I noticed that there was more protruding hard skin. I removed as much of that this morning but still have some way to go so I’ll be using the balm everyday and lifting what I can for the next few days. There’s also a corn emerging on her left forepaw. Had a good look at that, applied the balm and Mabel’s not speaking to me.
IMG_0314.jpeg
IMG_0314.jpeg

Poor Mabel.

It doesn't look like she is concerned about that gull though!

Reactions: RGC
JoanneF and arealhuman, you made me laugh. It’s amazing what one takes for granted. That wooden gull’s been in the conservatory for yonks. Now, back to Mabel’s pads…..

I’m aware that this isn’t something that can be sorted overnight if at all. It’ll be a recurring issue. For the time being I’ll just keep on using a balm to soften the skin and see what I can remove. After that a chiropodist has suggested using an emery board which would be easier than a dremel.

What hasn’t helped us that I had to attend to her nails this afternoon. She’s something of a queen wuss but once the deed was done she was all waggy tail and happy with life. As a reward I gave her a Skippers Fish Skin Flattie (consumption of which is confined to the garden and one side of the house). Would be interested if other sighthound parents have had issues with their hounds’ corns.
IMG_1803.jpeg

Not corns, but I would only clip 1 or 2 nails at a time rather than the whole set. It was over and done with, plus lavishly rewarded, before they had time to get worried.

There is a line of thought that rather than rewarding after a nail is clipped, the dog is treated while clipping. This tends to involve a second pair of hands, but would follow the pattern 'Pick up clippers - treat commences, position clippers, continues, clip, treat continues, put clippers down, treat goes away' (peanut butter on a wooden spoon can be useful for this). Then the mindset isn't so much 'Must be good while this horrible thing happens, as then I'll get a treat', but 'Yay, nail clipping tastes great, please don't stop because when it stops, the yummy stuff stops' - the happy feeling becomes firmly associated to the clipping itself (rather than the cessation of clipping).

This is the theory, though there's a lot more to it. It makes sense, but I can't say I had much joy doing it with Jasper! If you'ree interested, though, there's a FB group that goes into A LOT more detail.

Again, only loosely related, but if you need to do more desensitisation to nail clipping, clipping dry spaghetti close by helps with the sound trigger.

Fish skin flatties are generally consumed in the garden chez Timber too. But I do love your garden. I had a lavender pot like yours but the frost got to it.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back