The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Those damn corns….again!

What a good idea! One could start from the get-go with a litter of puppies. Shame I won't be breeding any more.
Thanks, I can't take credit though. It was one of the trainers I like, maybe Susan Garrett?

You people are so kind and we’re touched by your responses. However, please believe me when I say that we’ve tried the clipping of dried spaghetti - “it’s new, I don’t like it, I’m off….”.
Trying to give her a lovely treat as were

Sorry, that went off half baked. Trying to give her a lovely treat as a distraction doesn’t work - she has a mind set. We just have everything lined up and ready and try to get it over in 30 seconds. Once it’s over she’s fine but she’s suspicious by her idiosyncratic nature. We’ve never had a whippet like her before. She must have had some ordeal prior to her adoption by us. We’re her third home and she was three years and eight months old when she came to us. She’d had eight pups in her last home and, according to the veterinary reports from her second home, she’d arrived there in a sorry state - eyes and ears crusty and bare patches on her coat. In her previous homes someone (for whatever reason) had neglected her nails and the quicks are more extended than they should be. I’ve been told that the quicks will recede if I attend to her nails on a regular basis (every two weeks). As I said, something or somethings have had a traumatic effect on her in the past and have left their mark. It’s taken ages (well, since Nov ‘19) to get her as relaxed as she is - I can even blow a raspberry on her tummy with no angst from her but on rare occasions she’ll flinch from me when I’m just sitting beside her on the sofa for no apparent reason. She’s never been told off by us but there are times when she seems to anticipate a reprimand for God knows what. This one is a weirdo. So you can see, you lovely people, Mabel isn’t an easy one. We love her to bits and are prepared to do whatever’s required for her wellbeing both physical and emotional.

I can empathise - being on my second rescue dog they do all have their own quirks, no doubt born from their lives prior to joining loving homes. Rusty will flinch ever so slightly if I got to pet him too quickly. Jimmy was the same. We just don't know what the poor little souls endured before fate brought them to us.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back