The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Thoughts on limps

JudyN

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Sorry, it's me again going on about my clonky donkey :oops:

In addition to his rickety back end, Jasper is limping on his front right. I'm speaking to the vet this afternoon, but forewarned is forearmed. The basic pattern is that he'll be OK when he gets up in the morning, and only limps slightly, if at all. on his morning walk. But when he's back home and has had a snooze, he'll be very limpy when he gets up again, then loosen up if he walks any distance. Similarly he'll not be too bad on his afternoon walk, but when he gets up to have his tea, or to go for last wee before bed, his leg seems painful enough that he's reluctant to weight-bear. By the time he's got to the back door, though, he's moving more easily again, though still limping.

It came on gradually, there's no warmth or swelling, and even when he doesn't seem to want to weight bear on it he doesn't hold his foot off the ground like he did when he had a corn (on his other front foot). I've not tried manipulating each joint as I know what he'll do if it hurts.....

I've been giving lead walks only for about a week, a couple of miles a day at most, but it's not showing signs of improvement.

Any thoughts on whether this sounds like a soft tissue issue such as a strain, or arthritis? Would arthritis make him reluctant to weight bear, and would it loosen up that quickly once he moves?

I know there could be other more worrying causes, but I'm sure the vet will want to try to treat conservatively first.

Generally it's the diagonally opposite limb that takes the load when one leg is operating under par. Does that fit in with your observations?

Will he allow a back massage? Will he wear a coat for sleeping in?

There are so many could-be things, many of them easy to deal with, so I'll cross me fingers it's one of those.

I would ask for an xray ...dont wont to worry you but Romi had some devastating news about her greyhound Bella she thought it was soft tissue damage and so did the vet at first. ..2 weeks later she found she had bone cancer. ...im not saying this is what is happening to Jasper but if it were one of mine after what happened to Bella i would always ask for an Xray ....
Arthritis could case the symptoms too as my girl is the same especially in the damp weather and if she has been curled up too small ....
She has a 500mg green lipped mussel capsule daily and they really help ....
Let us know how he gets on ....i hate watching our dogs get older ....:oops:

I would also say that even though you've been doing lead walks, a couple of miles a day is actually quite a lot if you have a crook leg.. would he tolerate less for a week or so? As in short lead walk to do business then home again maybe? Sometimes super rest can help at least whilst waiting for vets appointment.

Generally it's the diagonally opposite limb that takes the load when one leg is operating under par. Does that fit in with your observations?

Yes it is - he occasionally stumbles on his back left, as if it gives way - it's definitely the less stable. So that may well have transferred more load onto his front right. He'll usually let me massage it. Not sure if he'd be happy going back to wearing pjs, but he does sleep under a blanket that seems to stay on all night.

@Tinytom, I'm sorry to hear about Romi's Bella :( The thing is, just getting an X ray is a big deal with Jasper, particularly at the moment as there's no way he'd go into the treatment room without me. He won't hold steady enough to have sedative injected into his vein, so we have to hold him still while the vet injects his bum, then he fights it all the way and takes ages to pass out because his adrenaline shoots sky-high (and it wouldn't be safe to give him another dose), once he comes round he cries all through the first night, and isn't himself again for several days. And if they did find the worst, we'd have to consider whether he'd tolerate the treatment. Even dressing changes could be traumatic for all concerned....

The vet didn't venture a diagnosis, which is fair enough, and has suggested a course of Rimadyl to see how it goes. She also recommended we just lead walk him on soft surfaces (grass), for 5-10 minutes at a time.... :eek: Boy, that's not going to go down well :confused: As it is he was getting quite frisky indoors this evening. After a bit of play with his Kong Snugga, he got that twinkle in his eye which told me he wanted to play at making puppies with me so I had to back off carefully:D

Yes it is - he occasionally stumbles on his back left, as if it gives way - it's definitely the less stable. So that may well have transferred more load onto his front right. He'll usually let me massage it. Not sure if he'd be happy going back to wearing pjs, but he does sleep under a blanket that seems to stay on all night.

@Tinytom, I'm sorry to hear about Romi's Bella :( The thing is, just getting an X ray is a big deal with Jasper, particularly at the moment as there's no way he'd go into the treatment room without me. He won't hold steady enough to have sedative injected into his vein, so we have to hold him still while the vet injects his bum, then he fights it all the way and takes ages to pass out because his adrenaline shoots sky-high (and it wouldn't be safe to give him another dose), once he comes round he cries all through the first night, and isn't himself again for several days. And if they did find the worst, we'd have to consider whether he'd tolerate the treatment. Even dressing changes could be traumatic for all concerned....

The vet didn't venture a diagnosis, which is fair enough, and has suggested a course of Rimadyl to see how it goes. She also recommended we just lead walk him on soft surfaces (grass), for 5-10 minutes at a time.... :eek: Boy, that's not going to go down well :confused: As it is he was getting quite frisky indoors this evening. After a bit of play with his Kong Snugga, he got that twinkle in his eye which told me he wanted to play at making puppies with me so I had to back off carefully:D

It could also be neurological, in any case 2 miles is a marathon with a problem! If there is an issue with a joint/arthritis GENTLE exercise can help. Let us all know soon as you have spoken with your vet, they are not always the brightest of people! LOL Best of luck, and sending good vibes! :)

Let us all know soon as you have spoken with your vet, they are not always the brightest of people!

I did, a few posts up! :D

I know a mile (per walk) isn't exactly short, but in Jasper's head it's 'not even there yet,' and I get such looks when he realises he can't go where he wants to go. I need to harden my heart... and expect to be serenaded with whingeing all day long.

I don't think his front leg limp is likely to be neurological, but I have my suspicions about his rear end.

I did, a few posts up! :D

I know a mile (per walk) isn't exactly short, but in Jasper's head it's 'not even there yet,' and I get such looks when he realises he can't go where he wants to go. I need to harden my heart... and expect to be serenaded with whingeing all day long.

I don't think his front leg limp is likely to be neurological, but I have my suspicions about his rear end.

It is so easy to discover damage on a human, especially neurological ones, but you can't exactly say to a dog ' say yes when you feel me touch you with this tissue'! or Do you have any tingling sensations! Unfortunately we often get sent a 'red herring' with health issues, and you could as you rightly think, have more than one problem occurring, perhaps a slipped disc or degenerating one - could explain some of his recent 'odd' behaviour too! The front could well be degenerating joints. You could always try adding 'Golden Paste' to his diet, see if that makes any changes over a couple of weeks?

Thanks Jan. I gave him golden paste in the past when he had some tweak or other - didn't notice any difference. That's not to say I wouldn't give it a go again, but I've also just started him on YuMove Senior. Along with YuDigest and the Rimadyl the vet has prescribed, he'll be rattling!

Hi I'm new here, and the reason I joined sounds similar-ish. We have a 10 year old unknown mix breed, terrier type, spaniel size active boy, a digger and ball chaser. He always had clicky knees and gradually over the past couple of years after he gets cold and/or wet then rests, his back legs have become stiffer. We live in a flat so no garden and stairs unavoidable, 18-20kg so not much fun to carry.
Vet did full xrays of both stifles and hip joints revealing a little wear in the hips but nothing to concern us. Right stifle looks worse but the left is where the pain is, and that's mainly a partial cruciate tear plus some other issues (happy to explain in more detail if anyone wants me to)
Long story short we tried the conservative Metacam plus rest and he was doing well, then had a setback and didn't get better again, and then Wednesday morning on our short walk he suddenly let out a yelp and was on 3 legs ... I carried him home and straight to the vets. Cruciate ligament has now ruptured completely and we're just waiting for a surgery date. Interestingly, the cruciate gone just makes him look like he has a wobbly back end, it makes the stifle unstable as the tibia rotates so it wobbles sideways.
Do you have an update on Jasper now?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back