The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toe Troubles

Scotty

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have already posted on this subject, but things have changed, My dog southern scott has dislocated his front Right ouside toe, he had it put back in under anesthetic, as it would not go in easy, the vet said it was the tendon that was out of place. After two weeks the strap came of and it came back out straight away, so the vet did the same again after a second two weeks the toe is out again. My question is has anyone had a toe wired that has stayed in without anoying the dog. as Tigger is 5 in December I want him to be able to run around and not be in pain, and secondly would it be better to have the toe removed. Things have changed since my last dog had his toe of in 1976 so i am hopeing for a better result. Any Ideas welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
up here we have a vet who pin fires the toe, slipper, yell and sammy boy have all had this procedure done and no more troubles from the toe after, sammy boy went on to win titles on bends and straights

:blink: the vet told me with sammy boy its better to have a passenger toe than have it removed, the pin fire worked lovely its just the rest of him falling to bits now.

Never saw your post Tanglelwood, The trouble wih the toe is it comes out at the point it joins the foot not the middle joint which would be easyer to fix. And i dont think you can use the elastic band method to hold the toe in when it is the outside toe ?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on which toe it is, he can still race.

Our Skippy has a toe missing and is doing well racing wise, but make sure your vet has covered every other option first :thumbsup:

Also have you taken him to a greyhound vet? They see this sort of thing all the time.

Not experienced a toe problem where you say it is. As you know Ella had sh*t loads of trouble with one of her outside toes until she was 2yr old, i kept leaving her off and then bring her back 8 weeks later she'd do it again, in the end Kevin Reeves told me to just run her on it and i did, after a few runs she stopped being lame and the toe callused over, the toe still to this day is bigger than any of her others but touch wood she's never had any toe problems since. Tigger's sounds totally different though. You have no bloody luck you do you :(

Well it was back up the vets today as tiggers toe had got worse, he was in np pain but the toe was laying at right angles to the rest of his foot. After trying for the third time to get it in the right position, the vet thought it was best to remove the toe. After a bit of thought i decided to take the toe off. He is a greyhound vet so I hope it should be ok, he let me stay in and watch while he removed the toe, it was nice to see how gentle he was with Tigger. So its of for another long break, as I am not going to run him on the bends again, the season will be over by the time he gets back to fitness, as he is 5 in december it looks like its vet racing to look forward too. And thinking of Peter and Jo Jess with rehoming, if i gave tigger away it would be more than my toes the family would cut of LOl.

Scotty said:
Well it was back up the vets today as tiggers toe had got worse, he was in np pain but the toe was laying at right angles to the rest of his foot. After trying for the third time to get it in the right position, the vet thought it was best to remove the toe. After a bit of thought i decided to take the toe off. He is a greyhound vet so I hope it should be ok, he let me stay in and watch while he removed the toe, it was nice to see how gentle he was with Tigger. So its of for another long break, as I am not going to run him on the bends again, the season will be over by the time he gets back to fitness, as he is 5 in december it looks like its vet racing to look forward too. And thinking of Peter and Jo Jess with rehoming, if i gave tigger away it would be more than my toes the family would cut of LOl.
I'm sure it would be Scotty! He's a lovely lad is Tigger, and. I'm sure he'll do you proud again in the future...Even my little youngster is 3 next week, time flies fella, but as a mate he'll be around for a good few years yet...gooh luck with him mate...

Paul

Scotty said:
i would'nt worry about your family cutting bit's off pete, lol that would be my job, :- " good luck with him i no what a baby he is, :luck:

Its not the end of racing for him Peter, the toe may had been bothering for some time before he did the main damage, he will run with the toe missing next year i am sure, looking forward to seeing him perform in the Veteran racing.

He will run again hopefully maybe at the end of this year all being well the bandage came off today and the toe has already started to heal nicely i even managed to look at it which is a miracle and prooves its looking good lol

I cant wait to race him again i have missed it loads but next year will be a little different being in the vets but at least he will be running :))

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back